Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SALVO WITH R/T HPA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SALVO WITH R/T HPA
    Posted: 02 January 2011 at 10:15pm
Hey guys and gals Im new here but have been playing paintball on and off for over 10 years. That being said I bought me a Salvo about a month ago and started the upgrades( r/t, jj ceramic, auto hopper,hpa) I instaled the response trigger because my old gun was full auto and thats what im used but I also switched to HPA at the same time, and the problem Im running into is that sometimes the bolt doesnot cock all the way back which means i gotta reach up and pull it back the rest of the way which is usuall bad timing (in the middle of a fire fight) any suggestions would help I feel like I am done withe the upgrades but this problem is bugging me 
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 10:44am

What is the output on the HPA tank? If it isn't high enough, it could be starving the marker. Are you noticing shootdown just prior to this happening? Is it happening on single shot or when you are RTIng? What type of hopper? Is it a Cyclone or electronic hopper? If Cyclone, do you have the 1/16 lines or the 1/8 lines? Any other internal mods?

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
BONE COLLECTOR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 7:39pm
electronic hopper with no internal mods only does this while im r/ting, The tank is a pure energy 3000psi 48cu.Was thinking of the zero kick hammer but after a little reading I changed my mind. the guy at the paintball shop told me the tank would work just fine for my gun. Its happned with over 2000psi in the tank ill try it with co2 this weekend and see if there is a differance. Is there a way to turn up the output on the HPA tank?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 10:56am
just polished the internals ill keep yall posted, after reading some other post ive seen im not the only one with this problem most stated it while running hpa
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

What is the output on the HPA tank? If it isn't high enough, it could be starving the marker.

What oldpbnoob is referring to is the pressure that the air is actually delivered to the marker at, not the storage pressure.  Most regulated tanks deliver the pressure somewhere between 400 and 900 psi depending upon if it is a high pressure or low pressure regulator.  Mechanical Tippmann's need at least 800 psi to operate properly.  If the tank isn't delivering at this minimal pressure it can lead to problems.  I've found that most of my (older) Tippmanns seem to prefer CO2 to HPA. 

If you have a full CO2 tank lying around you should stick that on the marker and see what happens.  (Assuming you've got someplace warm to test it since CO2 does not work well in the cold.)  If it seems to solve the problem, you should then definitely measure the output pressure of the compressed air tank.  (Of course, if you have the equipment, it would be simpler to just measure the output pressure first.  A tool for doing this can be simply put together from a spare ASA and gauge.)
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2011 at 4:22pm
^^^ This.  And just becuase a HPA regulator says its "High Pressure", doesnt mean that it is outputiting enough to work for a Tippmann. About a year ago, I purchased a regulator from a local field. I had called ahead, made sure it was high pressure etc, and when I got it home I could not get the marker to cycle properly (actually not a Tipmmann, but beside the point). After rigging up something similiar to what Mack mentions above, I found that the regulator was barely putting out 600psi. When I called the shop, he in turn called the manufacturer, and they confirmed that their standard HP regulator was only supposed to put out about 650psi or so. In order to get it higher, you had to specifically order it with some additional spacers that increased it to about 850psi.  This may be why the tank works on other markers, and will work on the Salvo when you are firing slowly, but can't keep up when you are RT'ing. Same would happen with the Automag that I was using. It could fire essentially 1-2 shots per second fine, but once I got on it, it would fail to reset until it had a chance to recharge fully.

However, with that said, I also have a Pure Energy regulator on another tank that I regularly use, and it actually provides plenty of output, so that may not be the problem. It could be that the recharge rate on the regulator is simply not good enough to keep up with the RT. I will have to say that I have not ever really put the regulator through much higher ROF than maybe 6-8bps mostly. 

Either way, it sounds like the tank is potentially starving the marker. One thing you may try as well is when you are screwing the HPA tank on, don't crank it all the way on. Perhaps try tightening it all the way and then backing off 1/4 or 1/2 turn. What can happen sometimes is that through either a flaw in the ASA or the pin lenghth of the regulator that when you screw the tank on too tightly, it can block the input on the regulator. I had an A5 one time with this issue. If I turned the tank as tight as it would go, the marker would air up, but after the first shot, it would fail to recock. Once I backed the tank off a little it stopped restricting the airflow and went back to normal.

Also, I must ask since it is a Salvo and I know a lot of guys using "milsim" looking markers with stocks tend towards using remote lines. This can be a similiar cause of starvation as well. Usually, the culprit is again tightening the knob down too far and restricting the air flow.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 07 January 2011 at 4:33pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2011 at 9:43pm
thanks alot for the input guys, took my son out today and had a blast he is 8 years old and went one on one with a 36 year old that was in the ARMY and tore him up he had great time. Now that I got that off my chest my gun worked perfect with the CO2 no half cocking what so ever...... but I was also screwing the knob on my remote tight last week so im gonna try again with the HPA because me and my friend bought a scuba tank and can fill it cheap. I told the guy at the paintball shop I polished my internals and he said that wont do anything for the gun, what is yalls opinion? Im gonna say it sure didnt hurt nothin and reducing friction is always a good thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:37pm
just trid out the gun with the HPA and didnt screw the romote screw tight and with no paint it worked well, last week is under (operator error) for now. Thanks again for all the input and help. For those who dont know an 8 year old with a full auto will burn through your paint and your wallet but the smile on their face is priceless.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BONE COLLECTOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 11:16am
gun half cocked twice this weekend on hpa ive came to the conclusion this gun strives on co2
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 11:20am
Was it half cocking while using the remote or with the bottle on? If with the remote, try playing for a day without it and see if it still does it. 
kimboy View Drop Down
just say NO! to spammers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 8:30am
just polished the internals ill keep yall posted, after reading some other post ive seen im not the only one with this problem most stated it while running hpa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic