Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pump Guns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pump Guns
    Posted: 18 April 2011 at 9:27pm
So. I feel like gettin into the market for some pump guns. Just looks like more fun, especially they idea of having to make shots count more.

What i'm curious about is the quality level of some guns. I saw on ebay that the SL-68II goes for about $160
Are there other pumps that run near or under this price? And which ones would you reccomend over others?

Thanks y'all.
In the broad spectrum of bad ideas I think this would have to rate somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.
Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 10:00am
Quality wise the vast majority of pump markers are good. CCI phantoms run around $150-200, you can find cheap autocockers and turn them to pumps for roughly the same price. CCM are very nice markers but also cost quite a bit more. Expect to pay anywhere between $4-600 for a new T2, but with that you usually get a custom anno and barrel set. if your just getting started into pump and not sure if you will like it after you do just grab a sl, you can find used ones for around 100 or less. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 12:06pm
You can find older out of production pumps like Kingman Hammers and the original Trracers for very affordable prices online.  I mention these markers because I always recommend to that someone who has played paintball before but wants to get their first pump start with an inexpensive one.*  That way they haven't spent too much money if they don't like pump play.  If they do like it, they can get a nicer marker and have a loaner for others who want to try a pump.
With that said, there is a definite difference between pumps like the Phantom or Sniper and the pumps I mentioned above.  There is also a definite difference between any of these pumps and the BE offerings like the Tiger Shark, Saber, or whatever their plastic gun of the week is.  (These should be avoided at all costs.)

If you are patient and willing to wait, you can find good deals on the nicer pump markers.  I have an original SL68 II, a Phantom, and a Sniper and, because I wasn't in a hurry to get any of them, did not pay more than $70 for any of them.  (I was however lucky enough to find them before the current resurgence in interest in pump play.)

As a final thought, I will add my opinion on how pump guns sort out if ranked by quality.  Note that this is only my opinion and others may disagree.  Also note that there are lot of markers I didn't list as I tried to stick with stuff that can still be found either new or used.  List runs from best to worst:  (Anything in green is pretty much top quality, orange represents suitable for use and red should be avoided.)

• Sterling, the various offerings from Carter Machine
  • Phantom, Sniper and Auto-Cocker based/cloned pumps, PGPs, new SL 68 II
  • Original SL 68 II, the new Trracer from BT/Empire (or whoever they are this week), Bushmaster
  • Hammer, original Traccer, Brute and most of the other Nelson-based knockoffs
  • Tigershark, Saber and anything else from BE excluding the NIghtmare

*The first pumps I owned were a pair on non-working Hammers that I picked up for $20.  With a little time and less than $5 in parts I got them working.
Mr.Sam98C View Drop Down
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 7:34pm
Sound great Mack, thanks. I think youre right about getting a middle priced marker, just in case, but i might go for a more spendy one, just because i know that if i dont like it, at least i'll have an extra marker. In my area, it seems nobody has any of their own gear, so the more the merrier.

Pretty sure i'll like marker play though. i like the idea of trying to be a little more sneaky, knowing that i can just bust outta the bushes sprayin paint.
In the broad spectrum of bad ideas I think this would have to rate somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.
Mr.Sam98C View Drop Down
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 12:26am
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2011 at 1:21am
^^^ I wouldn't get it.  If I'm reading the info right this is just a Brute (nelson-based clone of the old Trracer) that has been modified along the lines of a Bushmaster.*  Furthermore, it has a "fixed barrel" which, in old-school parlance, meant that the barrel is non-removable.  If you really want to spend more watch for the Phantoms and Snipers.**

Edit:  Keep in mind with most pumps the ball-barrel match is extremely important as most don't have detent systems.  The ones I know you can get some type of system to prevent "roll-out" for are listed below:
  • Phantom
    • White Wolf Airsmithing makes barrels for them that use Freak inserts
      • They also used to modify the stock barrels to do so
    • CCI (who makes Phantoms) sells detent rings that fit between the barrel and receiver
  • Sniper (or 'Cocker-based pumps with 'Cocker threads)
    • Lots of Freak kits/barrels out there (although the inserts are harder to find now)
    • Sized barrel kits available
      • J&J used to sell a kit with multiple backs of different sizes (name escapes me)
      • Lapco used to sell a kit with three barrels of different internal dimensions
  • Python Paintball used to sell different sized backs that worked with the stock barrel for both but I think they only carry them for the 'Cocker now

*Never handled a Bushmaster pump but I would pay close to that much for an original Bushmaster based on the performance of their later semi-auto guns.
**Sniper = Auto-Cocker pump--there are originals, new ones, and 'Cockers modified to pump action on e-Bay and MCB all the time.

Edited by Mack - 20 April 2011 at 1:28am
knowtheday View Drop Down
Spammer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knowtheday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 9:56pm
I want to make new friends, is there anyone want to...

No . . . we're not all that fond of spammers here.

Edited by Mack - 23 May 2012 at 10:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic