Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salvo RT probelms.... Going to DDAY need help ASAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salvo RT probelms.... Going to DDAY need help ASAP
    Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:38am
Hello all going to d-day in 2 days need quick answers please!!!!!!

OK so had rt on a5 for a long time 5 years or so... and it never really worked that well...  all the orings and such in a5 version i said screw it, and never worked on it..........so i put it on my salvo... with the new hose line to Flow control Valve, over the old connection bolt, on old a5 it seemed to do the trick at first......... no ammo dry fire worked fine.. no leaks no skips just dumping.   ok so took out to play worked ok first few games, then problems started..... For a long time now it has had this problem...... ive read about many things.. co2 vs hpa..... PE regs.... new springs... better springs... super rt.... BLA BLA BLA.....

OK SO WHAT ITS DOING... (FYI running remote line, HPA PE hight output 48-3000, RT, and 14in 68.5cal CP pro on year old salvo)

a.   When going to firing the RT will kick in but only for a short burst 3-6 balls, then just stop all of a sudden, and i have to let go of trigger to let reset, and it will do same thing over and over.... (tricky under fire)

b... Sometimes in doing this let go to reset BS, i have to re-cock the gun via cocking handle.... not ever time but every 5 to 10 times (once is enough) so i just single shot all day.. no biggie but i bought RT for a reason lol......
 ( I read this happened to a guy on salvo, and no reasons or explanation on why)

c... just tested with tank on gun with co2 works fine... hpa not so well just same as above never used co2 on field for freezing duh???????????? HELP ME i swear if its the tank than F- HPA LOL  : )

(Also hard to fire when rt is turned down so no leaks or anything)...... 

Now anyone else have any of these issues... the RT is really getting on my nerves.. spose to be ezr than Egrip damnit......

Shoot, and move
leroy219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leroy219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 3:42am
sry if its long but i kow you people ask question.. :)  tryed to cover all Q so i could get, fast answers haha :)

also just changed out the piston and valve guts so its a new RT

Shoot, and move
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2011 at 12:27pm
^^^ Don't worry about length, adding additional information helps us help you.
I see two possible issues based on what you posted:

Quote K so had rt on a5 for a long time 5 years or so... and it never really worked that well... so i put it on my salvo...

I would have recommended not putting an A5 r/t that was already not working correctly in a new marker.  However, since this is a done deal, the hose between the r/t piston and flow control valve would be the first thing I would check.

Quote just tested with tank on gun with co2 works fine... hpa not so well just same as above never used co2 on field for freezing duh

It may very well be the air tank, but that does not mean there is a problem with the tank.  Mechanical Tippmanns need at least 800 psi output from the tank to operate.  When you add air operated accessories (such as the r/t or cyclone feed) this increases the air demand.  It sounds like between the r/t is siphoning off enough pressure that it starves the marker after a few shots.  (I.e. not enough air left to recock correctly.  I know that the ads say the r/t uses "waste" air but that "waste" air is what recocks the marker.)

The reason it worked better on CO2 is that during the summer CO2 delivers at higher pressures that compressed air.  (High pressure air tanks generally deliver at around 850 psi output while I've noticed that my CO2 tanks run in the vicinity of 1200 psi output.)

Several possible solutions:
  • Try decreasing the r/t rate of fire so as to not starve the marker as quick
  • Learn to shoot double-taps or three-round bursts--which is how I generally use my r/t-equipped markers
  • Switch to CO2
    • I have never frozen a Tippmann by shooting CO2; even when really laying on the r/t to provide cover/suppressive fire
    • You will probably experience shoot-down though; this is a decrease in velocity as tank pressure decreases--it occurs because you can generally shoot faster than the liquid CO2 in the tank can evaporate to gaseous form (especially with an r/t)
  • Put in a stronger mainspring--this will cause the valve to open longer releasing more air with each shot
    • This gives more air to operate the r/t and reset the hammer
    • It will decrease air efficiency
  • Find a good rear velocity adjuster--does the same thing except by putting more pressure on the existing spring
    • Probably not a viable option for you with the Salvo--it would involve replacing the existing stock with one that had an adjuster built in
  • An old school solution was to put a spacer behind the spring guide pin (we used to use BBs) to put more pressure on the spring--you have to make sure the pin doesn't get moved to the point where it interferes with the hammer if you do this
  • One other thing to consider is measuring the output pressure of your compressed air tank--however, if this is the problem the fix is neither cheap nor easy
    • New tank or new regulator required
  • Check the rear hammer o-ring for damage--losing air at this location could also cause the described problem

Edited by Mack - 07 June 2011 at 12:30pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2011 at 3:01pm
Regarding CO2 pressure vs HPA pressure. Ninja offers a higher pressure regulator that is marketed for AGD markers, but will work on others. It has an output of 1000-1100 psi that may help HPA users get more out of their RT's. Especially if they are running Cyclones as well. You mentioned that when you ran CO2 gun on. Did you try this with the HPA as well? Sometimes remote lines can cause issues when the knob is overtightened.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic