Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which Barrel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Barrel?
    Posted: 17 September 2011 at 9:31pm
Hello peoples. I just played Paintball for the first time today! I'm not too old after all :p Anyway, I have a 2011 Tippmann A5 with response trigger (starter set thing) and I have to say, I LOVE IT! My only problem is, I have to get use to aiming much higher to hit targets further away. I was thinking about getting a Flatline barrel, but after talking to locals, they like the Apex. So I think I have about decided on an Apex2. I know this is an age old battle of preference so my question is, are there any better barrels than these two that will offer more accuracy so I don't have to aim too high? Also, with the Apex, if I do get it, how is breakage in a setup like mine? If anyone has experience with that at this point.
Thanks for any and all help. I hope to play this more and more often with my son. I had a blast!
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 9:39am
I have the Apex 2, I can't ever complain about ball breakage. However, you will stil lbe using some Kentucky Windage to get rounds on target. You may want to read the threads about paint to bore size matching for improved accuracy.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Mr.Sam98C View Drop Down
Wish Granted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Sam98C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:49pm
I'm going to assume you played at a field, and were chrono'd, but just in case.
Check your velocity.  If it's underpowered, you will definately be needing to aim way high to get a ball anywhere near its target.
just a thought. I've had that problem before.
In the broad spectrum of bad ideas I think this would have to rate somewhere between running with scissors and sticking your pecker in the toaster.
Granite Gargoyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 12:51pm
If I remember right, we chrono'd to like 285. They pretty much play anything under 300 IF I remember right. I am new to this but having a blast :)
I honestly thought it would suck for me because I'm 38 years old, 330 pounds and 6'2" making me a huge target but I did just fine and had some fun with my son :)
He has an A5 as well without the Response Trigger (prolly get one later if he sticks with it), but we were looking to get better barrels as people told us that would be the first thing to upgrade. And looking to go kinda cheap at first since I will have to buy 2 of them. Thanks for any and all info again :)

Edited by Granite Gargoyle - 21 September 2011 at 12:52pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 12:55pm
Lapco or J&J.  They cost abut $30.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:03pm
J and J ceramic? Been looking at those. Was looking at the Apex simply because I could get it under $50 and people seem to like them.
I am open to suggestions for other barrels as well.

Edited by Granite Gargoyle - 21 September 2011 at 1:07pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:14pm
I use on one A5 a Proto and Smart Parts, My Milsim uses the Apex 2 and I have a spare Apex 1 on the stock A5 barrel.  CP makes a good one as well but use that on either of my 98's.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:20pm
This is unrelated but is a Gryphon ok for speedball? Looking to get something cheap as I have already spent $300 on the current A5. I know that's not alot in paintball terms but I've been told I should use a diff marker for speedball. Although I think when I get a better barrel on the A5 it will rip just fine.
Oh and is there somewhere (other forums) to buy old gear and stuff other than just EBaying for it?

Edited by Granite Gargoyle - 21 September 2011 at 1:21pm
The Nice Zombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Nice Zombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:24pm
My brother has a gryphon, and it is really good for beginners at both woods and speedball - it is really light, but is kinda hard to upgrade.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:58pm
The Gryphon uses A5 threads.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

The Gryphon uses A5 threads.

Ooooh. I'm guessing that means I can use the barrel I settle on, on the Gryphon too. If I get one...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Granite Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 7:47pm
Ok while I have a couple people that will listen :) 

CO2 or HPA...which is generally cheaper...after buying the bottle for HPA that is?

Edited by Granite Gargoyle - 21 September 2011 at 7:47pm
Legend Killer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legend Killer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2011 at 4:24am
I would say that HPA is cheaper and you have more consistancy with each round you fire.
Pray friends not for easier lives, but instead to be stronger men.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2011 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Granite Gargoyle Granite Gargoyle wrote:

Ok while I have a couple people that will listen :) 

CO2 or HPA...which is generally cheaper...after buying the bottle for HPA that is?
Depends on where you get it and what the demand is.  Where I used to live all the paintball shops closed up.  The only place where I could get HPA was a Dive Shop.  They'd charge me $6 to fill each of my tanks regardless of their size and capacity.  They also charged the same to fill a SCUBA tank which gave me the idea to buy one to use as a fill station.  I also took advantage of a purchase plan using a punch card.  I pay $40 and I get a card good for 10 fills.  I can fill my HPA tanks forever off my SCUBA tank which is a lot cheaper than getting the tanks individually filled for $4 each. 

The last time I used C02, it was $.20 to $.25/oz which was awhile ago.  I have no idea what they charge now.
TippmannParts Tech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannParts Tech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 3:22pm
In the long run CO2 is more damaging to your gun.  it wears down the seals inside and WILL NOT WORK in the cold, it will turn into dry Ice inside the valve which is a bad idea.  HPA tanks are more expensive in the short term but the regulators negate the need for expansion chambers, and regulate the flow of air to the gun.  also HPA works fine in the cold and at higher rates of fire, a must have for response triggers and E-triggers.
Rootbeer2468 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rootbeer2468 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 6:19pm
I use co2... But I have only used it in the summer. I haven't used it in the winter when its cold. It  seems to work fine for me :P

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic