Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which marker is the best choice?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which marker is the best choice?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [55.56%]
4 [44.44%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Goalmaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goalmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which marker is the best choice?
    Posted: 19 October 2011 at 8:49am
I'm looking to upgrade from my alpha black tactical to something with a bit better performance.  I want to stick with a tippmann for their reliability and customization ability.  I don't need the best gun on the field, but I do want something that can help me compete a bit better.  Now I'm primarily looking at the X-7 Phenom Mechanical, A-5 w/response trigger (the 2011 version) and the original X-7 w/response trigger.  The reason I don't include any e-grip technology on any of these is because the fields near me don't allow them.  (Only semi-auto)  That's why the response trigger seems like a good option.  However, I know the Phenom is supposed to be a step forward in performance on its own, and I didn't know if all the advantages it offered would make it worthwhile.  Hopefully I can get an idea of whats best if some people weigh in on the matter.  Feel free to discuss the reasons behind your answer, vote in the poll, and suggest alternatives if you think I'm going in the complete opposite direction of what I should be looking at.

Thanks for your help!
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 8:58am
Some fields may consider the RT trigger full auto.  I don't think you can go wrong with an a5 or x7.  You can hop them up to dump extreme amounts of paint.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goalmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 9:04am
I'll have to check into the RT situation with the fields nearby.  If I don't have a response trigger, whats the best way to improve my rate of fire?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 9:25am
buy a used ego

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goalmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 2:33pm
I got word back from some fields and it looks like some would allow it whereas some would not.  But it sounds like I can still disable the RT if needed if I were to visit those fields, so I suppose I would still consider a marker with a RT.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 2:35pm
you could get an e grip which would allow for semi as well right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goalmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 4:11pm
I'd have to do some more legwork on that.  Because while some fields don't classify Response triggers as an automatic firing mechanism, they almost surely would think of the e-grip in that way.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 5:16pm

but the e grip has a semi option.  Can someone chime in on whether or not the programming method functions as a tournament lockout or whether it has a tournament lockout.

It's a pain with the rt going true semi and easy to cheat in the field 

Edited by Lightningbolt - 19 October 2011 at 5:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goalmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2011 at 11:31pm
Well thank you for your all your input.  I may just end up getting the electric phenom so I can go mechanical most of the time, and switch to electric on the rare occasions that I visit fields or scenarios that allow it, or if I do some backyard ballin'.  It seems like that might be the best call.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 11:52am
It is a personal preference thing... The Alpha black you have is very similar to a 98, except heavier.

The X7 and A-5 both have the cyclone, which is a great upgrade and worth buying. Me personally, I like my gun light so I roll with an A-5, and mine is semi auto only, with some practice you can really lay down some paint. I go against full auto often, and I find I can shoot out other players just fine with a semi auto marker. I throw plenty of paint without any help!

Personally, the a-5 feels right in my hand, as it has a very gun like feel.
They tremble at my name...
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 2:12pm
The Phenom is really the only one of the options that is a functional upgrade. The Phenom has a different type of valve and allows for lower operating pressure and better efficiency. The A5/X7(non-Phenom) are essentially the same as the AB, but with a different shell and the addition of the Cyclone. You will find better efficiency and I would imagine better consitency out of the Phenom. If you have the funds to buy one, it would be my choice*

I would also look into switching to HPA if you have the ability and your local fields support HPA fills.

*If I was only considering Tippmann markers.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Rubbr Chickin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbr Chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 7:18pm
I would go with an A5, it retains some of what is already on the Alpha Black, plus it is in a close price range (under $200). The Phenom would be the next step up, there are hundreds of upgrades for it. Both have Cyclone.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Rubbr Chickin Rubbr Chickin wrote:

I would go with an A5, it retains some of what is already on the Alpha Black, plus it is in a close price range (under $200). The Phenom would be the next step up, there are hundreds of upgrades for it. Both have Cyclone.
Why not just put a Cycone on the AB? Seems silly to spend $200 for a new A5 when you can just add a Cyclone for $60.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbr Chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Why not just put a Cycone on the AB? Seems silly to spend $200 for a new A5 when you can just add a Cyclone for $60.

You can't do as much cosmetically with an Alpha Black without chopping it up. With an A5 you could have an M16, MP5, UMP, etc. with only a few parts.

Had I looked further into Tippmanns in 2009 when I was getting my first gun, I would have gone with an A5 instead of my Alpha Black. It's something I look back on every day. I don't regret my choice tough, it was trusty and went through a lot, just wish I could've done more with it instead of just being able to switch the mag and upgrade the feed/ firing mechanism.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 10:49am

You can't do as much cosmetically with an Alpha Black without chopping it up. With an A5 you could have an M16, MP5, UMP, etc. with only a few parts.

Had I looked further into Tippmanns in 2009 when I was getting my first gun, I would have gone with an A5 instead of my Alpha Black. It's something I look back on every day. I don't regret my choice tough, it was trusty and went through a lot, just wish I could've done more with it instead of just being able to switch the mag and upgrade the feed/ firing mechanism.

Are you are scenario player or just want to dress it up?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 10:50am
My point was that it is silly to spend another $200 on what is internally a very similiar marker with no real advantage other than to have a cyclone included. There is no real advantage to an A5 over an AB other than having the option of adorning it with weight adding attachments. It would be like selling your blue car for a same model red car with wings and spoliers and such on it. You have the same basic car, just heavier and neater looking. Now if you swap your 4cyl model for a 6cyl model that gets better gas mileage you're trading something worthwhile.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbr Chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Are you are scenario player or just want to dress it up?

Very unorganized scenario. I play with woodsball guys but we use tactics and planning.

It's probably just my preference inspiring this. I've been using different guns every year. I've gone from AB to PS to TiPX to A5 and RAM R2 in 2 years.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:22pm
I have 2 A5's.  Only one A5 is milsimmed and a damn bit heavier too. Dressing it up did nothing to the performance and added only "tact-icool" factor.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:32pm
One of my last A5's, Built it, played with it 2-3 times and sold it. Looked cool, but weighed a ton and required me to use a remote line that I hated and is now in the possession of someone else in this thread. I now run with a marker that is much lighter. Mil-sim looks badass, but sucks to carry around all day  walking back and forth to the respawn points on an 80 acre field.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 04 January 2012 at 12:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbr Chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 12:48pm
Well we used to play on a flatter field when I had my Alpha, and when I got my Salvo we switched to a hilly field so I got my TiPX. This year we are going to use both and do more CQB in a 3rd gravel pit so I sold everything and got a A5 an a RAM R2 for shooting in the backyard.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic