Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to paintball, would appreciate any help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkspear183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to paintball, would appreciate any help
    Posted: 23 October 2011 at 5:18pm
Hi all, I'm new to the forum (my first post)

I have been playing paintball for several years now, but only ever used the stock guns at the playing site. Now I have a reasonable income I want to buy my own marker. I borrowed my friends X7 for a day and loved it.

Would the X7 Phenom be a good first marker?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated as I don't want to waste my money!

Thanks,

Dark.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 8:24pm

If you've shot it, like it and can afford it you will probably not be disappointed.  

Welcome to the forums

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2011 at 10:07pm
The Phenom is the top Woodsball marker out there. With the phenom only your playing style and your imagination will limit your choices.

I recomend that if you get your phenom that you get to know it well. Learn how it plays and pick upgrades that complement your playing style don't try to make your playing style complement your mods.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 12:06am
The Phenom is a great marker, but I always recommend the 98. I have both, and the 98 was my starter marker (Tippmann did not have X7's in 2005).

I kind of steer clear of the Tacticool crowd and I definitely had more fun playing with my 98 back in the day, then I would have had with a Phenom. 

I talk like an old grump though. I love my Phenom LOL
Darkspear183 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkspear183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 5:33pm
My regular site uses 98's as it's stock guns, As lovely as they are I love the Phenom's huge variety of accesories and upgrades.

Another thing, I have read many a thread disputing barrel length vs range, would an 18" BT Apex 2 be a bit much? 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 6:41pm
Yes. 

A barrel length does not affect range unless it is under 12" or so, and the most popular is 14". I haven't shopped for an Apex since the original one which was one size only.

Your best bet is to buy a nice barrel and invest in the Apex tip later. If you want to get an Apex get a 12" since the tip would make a 14" barrel or so. IIRC on my Phenom I have an OLD J&J 13" barrel. It came with my Pro/Carbine.
Darkspear183 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkspear183 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 6:50pm
Thanks for the advice :) you just saved me forty-odd quid!

Actually counting down the days until I get paid so I can order my Phenom :D 11 left!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic