Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sardines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 1:01pm
Up here, its considered very strange to consume raw ocean creatures such as fish or molluscs.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 1:10pm

No sushi? Even in the hell hole that is LIma, Ohio we have sushi.

I do find it interesting though that so many coastal areas where great fresh seafood should be abundant that the main way to prepare it is to bread and fry the crap out of it.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 29 December 2011 at 1:14pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Haha. When I was in Ohio, I went to some restaurant in Cincinnati where they had a dozen oysters for about $16. I'd never seen oysters priced so high in my life. 

Even in tacky tourist bars in Daytona they're about $9 for a dozen. 
I don't know that I have ever seen raw oysters offered anywhere where I have eaten while in Ohio. Honestly, it has been MANY years since I have had oysters, and I really don't remember prices. My mother and I used to hit the Lee & Ricks on 17-92 for a couple of dozen oysters and then the Frisch's on Lee Rd. for a couple of hot fudge cakes for dessert. There was a time that this was a weekly event.

*Forgot to mention that "pinky up" is the proper method when slurping oysters from the half shell.

Oh no, these were steamed. 

I wouldn't eat raw oysters in a non-coastal state. 

Also!!! Lee & Ricks is still around, and still just as awesome as you imagine it. It's on 526, south of Pine Hills (So I dodge gunfire to get there, but I do go every summer. Multiple times.) so I don't know if it's in the original location or not. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 29 December 2011 at 1:19pm
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 12:48am

I do find it interesting though that so many coastal areas where great fresh seafood should be abundant that the main way to prepare it is to bread and fry the crap out of it.

That's how we eat all of our fish in Wisconsin.  There's usually a fish fry within a couple miles of anywhere you may be on a Friday.  

Sushi in Wisconsin creeps me out.... I've eaten it, but I'm not a huge fan.  

Never had sardines, and I have no interest.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 1:27am
I love sushi of all kinds. In fact, I think I enjoy food based solely on how strange / exotic it is-that's probably why I love things like sardines and sushi.

I'll eat basically anything as far as animals go, the only places I can't get adventurous are things like cheeses. Both the crap processed American and most kinds of bleu cheese make me gag.

I actually bought a big can of clams from the store, dumped them in a bowl, doused them in Tabasco, and went to town. They were an awesome, cheap, fairly not so bad for you lunch with some crackers.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 1:31am

I think the only fried seafood I really enjoy would be catfish, oysters, and clams. And I really prefer oysters raw with Tabasco and horseradish.

Of course I have a real low tolerance for fried foods in general thanks to my severe reflux / stomach issues. Grease / oil saturation just makes me want to vomit.

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 2:55am
Oh we have sushi, just the grocery store kind mostly. Its not really a big thing. My thesis is we see the water that those creatures come out of and we see what is put in that water. We boil/fry the crap out of fish to make sure we don't get sick from it.
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2011 at 3:22am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

That's how we eat all of our fish in Wisconsin.  There's usually a fish fry within a couple miles of anywhere you may be on a Friday.  
Especially during lent. Wisconsin is mostly Catholic and Lutheran; for those that don't know that.
Sushi in Wisconsin creeps me out.... I've eaten it, but I'm not a huge fan.  
Any sushi grosses me out. But, to be fair, I do have a long standing rule about not eating things that can survive underwater longer than I can.
Never had sardines, and I have no interest.
I see no redeeming value in them at all. I'll stick with poultry, beans and quinoa as my default proteins.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic