Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sardines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sardines
    Posted: 27 December 2011 at 11:19pm
Anybody else here eat them? My preferred method-

And lots of

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 12:55am
Saltines with yellow mustard and hot sauce. 
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:01am
The Brunswick sardine company actually has its fish plant not too far from where I live. Although Bumblebee bought it out, layed off a bunch of people, and rumors are saying they are going to use the plant only to collect the fish, freeze them, and send them off to China to be packed. Scumbag Bumblebee basically ruining a major job supplier in Southern New Brunswick.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:51pm
Bleech!!!
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Bleech!!!

Haha, this is usally the reaction of people in the room with me when I open a can.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 8:59am
I like most of the canned varieties, plain, w/mustard and with hot sauce. I prefer saltine crackers, but will pretty much put them on any type of cxracker. I also like Kipper Snacks. I think Sardines are an old school thing. Supposedly, they were quite popular at one time and most people ate them often in the form of sandwiches.I do get the same reaction from my family when I pop open a can of them though.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 9:46am
I'd imagine that they would work well with a dodger/live bait rig for salmon fishing.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 9:48am

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

This just says to me "I really don't like them but I coat them in sauces until they taste like a hot dog/burrito combo"

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

This just says to me "I really don't like them but I coat them in sauces until they taste like a hot dog/burrito combo"

Haha, trust me you can't drown out the taste of a sardine.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:30am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Yeah the thing is my dad just cracks open a package of sardines and eats them straight and he likes the straight-up taste of them.  

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:32am

This. 

It doesn't matter how much mustard and hot sauce I put on the fish, it's still very clearly going to taste like sardines. 
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:35am

Originally posted by God God wrote:

Bleech!!!

Haha, this is usally the reaction of people in the room with me when I open a can.

You open a can of sardines with normal people in the same room as you?

You're a monster.

BTW I can run through an entire box of those Triscuits in one sitting.

Edited by High Voltage - 29 December 2011 at 11:37am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:45am
I guess I'm wierd, I actually like the taste of fish. It always confuses me when someone tries something like catfish and says it's "too fishy tasting"..... Duh, it's fish moron! I like the fact that is tastes like fish, otherwise I would eat chicken or steak.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 29 December 2011 at 11:45am
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:48am
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I guess I'm wierd, I actually like the taste of fish.

Agreed. 

I generally dislike eating fish that doesn't taste like anything at all. Tilapia is a big culprit. If I wanted to eat a blank canvas where the flavors were applied, I'd just eat tofu. 

I think hot sauce and yellow mustard compliments the rather potent fish taste of sardines. It's also how my grandpa taught me to eat them, so it's just sort of stuck with me. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:55am

Yeah the thing is my dad just cracks open a package of sardines and eats them straight and he likes the straight-up taste of them.  

My childhood memory of my grandpa and sardines: 

Being over at my grandparents house, and some sporting event being on. Knowing my grandpa, it was either a Florida Gators football game or an Atlanta Braves baseball game. 

Before the game, he'd go to the kitchen and prep the entire can of sardines. He'd take his snack tray, lay out the appropriate number of Saltine crackers, place a sardine on each one, give each one a sort-of toothpaste stripe of yellow mustard, a douse of Texas Pete, and give everything a healthy sprinkle of black pepper. 

Then he'd grab a Natural Light (Or three) out of the fridge and place himself in the recliner, and scream at the TV every time Wuerffel threw a pick. 

I learned sardines by taking some from his tray. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 29 December 2011 at 11:56am
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:17pm

It's also how my grandpa taught me to eat them, so it's just sort of stuck with me. 
Oddly enough, I got my like of sardines from my grandmother. Like I said, i think it's an older generation thing... Mack probably likes them as well.
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:28pm
My dad taught me how to eat them on crackers. We also love smoked oysters. Both are best on saltines.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

My dad taught me how to eat them on crackers. We also love smoked oysters. Both are best on saltines.
Growing up ij Florida, I would consider canned oysters somewhat of a blasphemy. Unless they are raw or lightly steamed on a cracker with cocktail sauce, heavily horseradished up, or lemon... you're doing it wrong.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Growing up ij Florida, I would consider canned oysters somewhat of a blasphemy. Unless they are raw or lightly steamed on a cracker with cocktail sauce, heavily horseradished up, or lemon... you're doing it wrong.

Haha. When I was in Ohio, I went to some restaurant in Cincinnati where they had a dozen oysters for about $16. I'd never seen oysters priced so high in my life. 

Even in tacky tourist bars in Daytona they're about $9 for a dozen. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 29 December 2011 at 12:48pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 12:54pm

Haha. When I was in Ohio, I went to some restaurant in Cincinnati where they had a dozen oysters for about $16. I'd never seen oysters priced so high in my life. 

Even in tacky tourist bars in Daytona they're about $9 for a dozen. 
I don't know that I have ever seen raw oysters offered anywhere where I have eaten while in Ohio. Honestly, it has been MANY years since I have had oysters, and I really don't remember prices. My mother and I used to hit the Lee & Ricks on 17-92 for a couple of dozen oysters and then the Frisch's on Lee Rd. for a couple of hot fudge cakes for dessert. There was a time that this was a weekly event.

*Forgot to mention that "pinky up" is the proper method when slurping oysters from the half shell.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 29 December 2011 at 12:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic