Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SL-68 barrel woes/ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SL-68 barrel woes/ideas
    Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:08am
I started off playing with a Tippmann SL-68 in 1990. I latter brought the SL-68II(93ish). I sold both many years ago, and decided to buy a new SL-68. I love the new improvements, BUT for the life of me I can't figure out why Tippmann stuck with the old barrel retention system. Why not make the SL A5 threaded(if possible)?
At the very least why not come out with a barrel system, or adaptor for it???   IMHO the only thing that makes the KP and Traccer better than the SL is the option to upgrade to a smaller bore barrel.    
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:20am
As far as I know, this is your only barrel upgrade option.*

I run one of these on my new SL 68 II.  (Actually I got it for my original one but moved it to the new one when I found a too-good-to-pass-up deal on the new one.)  Buying it allowed me to put the original barrel back on the original SL 68 II and finish up my ball detent mod.**

The bore on this barrel is still not quite tight enough to prevent roll-out 100% of the time with the paint I use but a little bit of Duco Cement smeared around the bore end seems to do the trick without any noticeable effect on accuracy.

*Probably available at other websites, this site just came up first on my search engine.
**I just couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the after-market barrel.

Edited by Mack - 29 December 2011 at 11:21am
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 3:52pm
Thanks Mac
As you can see there are no real options for the SL as far as barrels go. I love the J&J(my favorite barrel), but thats your only choice. Thats why I'm suggesting someone come up with a barrel adaptor, or even better yet a SL that takes A5 barrels.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 7:05pm
Any barrel adapter would probably require a different/replacement pump handle as well.
CarbineKid View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarbineKid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 10:21pm
Hmmm I just looked and your right It would still be nice to use another barrel
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:12pm
I remember seeing a Spyder barrel (All-American I believe) on the internet once that someone had ground down to make a custom barrel for their SL 68.  Other than that, options are definitely limited.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic