Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Civil War paintball

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Strike 1 - Spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commander Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Civil War paintball
    Posted: 06 January 2012 at 12:59pm
Check out [Removed spam] for the newest ideas in paintball. Now if only Tipman would produce masks and guns for CW combat the fun would begin!

Edited by Enos Shenk - 06 January 2012 at 6:11pm
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 1:06pm
That civil war paintball mask does not look safe at all. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

commander Doug View Drop Down

Strike 1 - Spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commander Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 1:09pm
PS Ships and tanks can also be made by the average guy. The suprising thing is that the cost is cheap! You don't have to spend a lot of money on one use items. A canoe and a riding mower can still be used. Check out the website and tell me what you think. If you like CW paintball call Tipman and tell them to start making period arms and masks!

Strike 1 - Spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commander Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 1:10pm
PS Ships and tanks can also be made by the average guy. The suprising thing is that the cost is cheap! You don't have to spend a lot of money on one use items. A canoe and a riding mower can still be used. Check out the website and tell me what you think. If you like CW paintball call Tipman and tell them to start making period arms and masks!

Strike 1 - Spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commander Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 1:16pm
cessman, I agree with you. I have worn them on numerous occasions and they work but tend to fog up. The key is to have abig manufacturer make a good one. The same is for the rifles.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 1:51pm
I will stay with my regulation mask, thanks. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Rubbr Chickin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubbr Chickin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 2:27pm
Honestly, I don't see your mask coming onto play. Ever. It's just one of those safety things. But I like your rifle though, is it barrel load? Ever think of using a detent similar to the ones in a JT Tac-5m so you can shove a ramrod tipped with cotton to get that real simulation feeling?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 2:33pm
I actually like the idea, but until there is a proven following, I can't see any paintball manufacturer investing potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars into manufacturing a niche product for an already niche industry. I would find it more likely that if a large CW enactment group got together and was able to offer funding the in the form of a preorder with prepayment that someone might take up the idea. As more CW ready markers, you might be better off talking to someone like Engler who can take some sort of low end marker and mod it with a wood stock etc. There are already people out there home brewing wooden stock markers, but not on a production scale. I know there is a guy in Canada producing these as semi-one offs, but they arent cheap.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 2:39pm
^^ This would be cool with the "Gettysburg" game^^ but kind of concerned over the mask that is shown.  Not trying to knock you down Commander Doug.  It is good to see someone trying a different approach to the game.  Good Luck with it.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 3:12pm
Also, you need to figure out how much interest is there really within the CW reenactment community? This seems more likely to be your core group than recruiting from a paintball site. I love playing paintball and doing the whole war scenario thing, but honestly, I could care less about the historical aspects of the scenarios and really just want to get out there and shoot people.  I always got the feeling that a lot of the CWE guys were more into the camping out aspects and "time period" historical stuff more so than the actual battle part of it. How many of the participants really want to get hit with a paintball? It does kind of hurt.

Essentially, you are going to have to find a substantial group of people within the CWE community that want to get behind this. I really have no idea whatsoever as to your potential pool of potential participants, but I can't imagine it's that large. But on the flipside, a lot of the guys really seem to try and be as authentic as possible, so maybe the idea of actually being able to shoot each other out and having varying outcomes to historical battles would interest enough out of the CWE comuunity to encourage peopleto join.. Heck, I think it would be pretty cool to actually participate in a reenactment of some big battle like Gettysburg at the actual site and really be able to shoot people and maybe change the outcome.  (My CWFoo is weak, so I think there was a battle there right?) Now you just have to figure out how to realistically march through Georgia and burn Atlanta to the ground....

Edited by oldpbnoob - 06 January 2012 at 3:25pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 4:19pm
Cool idea, but CW guys are VERY picky about their uniforms, as they can cost thousands of dollars, and cheap paintballs STAIN clothing...

So you would have to have an extra set of clothes, AND the paintball stuff, AND guys willing to actually play.

Course, some of the funniest and most talked about games at my field are after our capture the flag games, where we go out in the field and play revolutionary war...

Very fun, one shot per volley, and lots of lols, as shooting your buddy at 150 feet just makes everyone laugh for some reason.

Here are some videos...

They tremble at my name...
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 6:12pm
 One of the forum rules here is "No advertising".
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2012 at 10:16pm
? I dont think he was selling anything. Why block his webpage and give him a strike for spamming? I think you jumped the gun on this one Enos.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 12:44pm
I'm with Enos on this one.*  One of the forum rules is no posting "check out my cool new website.**

*Mainly because I am one, or one of, the people that reported him.
**Done from memory, quote may not be exact.

Edited by Mack - 07 January 2012 at 12:45pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 2:48pm
You and I rarely disagree, at least that I know of, but I don't see anything In:

"Fifth, you will not advertise. Advertising a commercial product is forbidden, as is "come check out my cool new forum" posts. Advertising for paintball games, new paintball store openings, meetings and the like are fine however."

that was violated.. He wasnt advertising any commercial product, nor was he advertising for a forum. He was simply posting to a link to his site that has some things posted that he thought would make an interesting paintball game. They werent even commerically available products, just prototypes. What is different between that, and people posting links in their signatures?  We had the one dude from Tippmanparts.com that was directly linking to his site when he was replying to people asking techical questions that was allowed. What would be the difference from posting pics and descriptions of ideas in his post he had for new paintball products and just linking to his site/blog or whatever?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

We had the one dude from Tippmanparts.com that was directly linking to his site when he was replying to people asking techical questions that was allowed.

For the record, I think that someone needs to go through and take his link out of all his posts too.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 4:26pm

Difference being, that the Tippmannparts guy was actually selling something. CommanderDoug wasnt.

Strike 1 - Spamming

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commander Doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 5:51pm
Sorry to break any rules. I refer people to my website to save on typing about my views on new directions in paintball. I do not sell anything on my site. It is for promoting new directions for paintball use. I appreciate the support.
The views on my CW use are well taken. The Mask needs to be improved and the single shot guns developed. I can tell you with confidence that the difference in reenacting is dramatic between the CW crowd and SCA
( medieval fighters ). CW likes their uniforms to be pristine. The SCA that does hand to hand fighting wears armor that is dirty, dented and costs more than a CW outfit. The difference is the battles are real like regular paintball and everyone has a story at the end of the day. The anxiety is You have a one shot firing rate. As you load your rifle paint balls are whizzing by. AS for a market for paint ball rifles it's like the armor that is sold. People collect guns just like armor. More people buy armor that they never use; not just the reenactors. Paintball reenacting actually works best for the smooth bore Revolutionary soldiers.
The paintball guns were almost accurate to the distance of a smooth bore rifle. I hope my comments are ok now. Commander Doug
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 6:34pm
I think I'm qualified to speak on this- I missed the link but I think I get the gist of what was being talked about.

I've been a CW reenactor for 16 years now (On hiatus, lost a lot of gear in the flood)

We've had the paintball/reenacting discussion around the campfires before, mostly because we spent a lot of time **edited**ing that the other side 'doesn't take hits' and 'if they were hit with paintballs, we'd know for sure who'd been hit!"

But when you think about it, there's a few problems with marrying the two hobbies.

1. Most reenactments are small affairs, a few dozen guys at the most. that means that of the paintballs were introduced, then the whole 'battle' would be over in about 8 minutes. And the public, who often pay for tickets wouldn't be too thrilled with that at all.

2. Authenticity would have to be sacrificed for safety. One of the great things about reenacting, is that the only thing (LITERALLY) that is missing, is the lead. This means that aside from safety inspections of rifles before the fight, and elevating your muzzles when the lines close together there needs to be little to no deviance from authenticity, and still maintain safety. Introduction of an actual projectile would require protection, and it just wouldn't be what the public is there to see.

"And here come General Lee, with his saber and JT Goggles...."

3. The uniform thing...well, yeah as FE said, a lot of guys spend a LOT of time and money on the uniforms, and to have them painted up just wouldn't work really well. Consider that an entire enlisted man's uniform can cost a few hundred bucks, and some officer's jackets alone will run the same amount...having them painted wouldn't sit well with people (although...yes, we have no qualms with putting them through mud, rain, and all kinds of other thngs.)

Example:

(Go on, chuckle.... that's the uniform of the Co. B,  1st. Special Battalion of Wheat's Louisiana Tiger Zouaves.)

Most of what we do is for the benefit of the public. We try as hard as we can to take a page from history and present it to them as best we can. The steps necessary to introduce paintballs, would sort of kill that.

I could go on, but I'm certain that if it was going to work, it would be more of the paintball community interested in it than the reenacting circles. You'd be looking to "Make paintball more like CW reenacting" rather than the other way around. Essentially, rather than combine two different worlds into one awesome one, you'd be creating a third entity all by itself.

?

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 10:59pm
The site has some pics and descriptions of some of the props he was proposing as well as a modified facemask that was more simiiar to a face shield you would use for safety on a polishing wheel. It allowed for keeping the period headgear. The guns were modified cheapos put into wooden stocks to resemble muskets or whatever they used to use back then.

And... nice pants bro. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic