Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

So... I want to buy a nice camera...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So... I want to buy a nice camera...
    Posted: 12 April 2012 at 7:18pm

I'm getting married in October, which means I'm also going on a honeymoon.  I'm getting really sick of the point and shoots that we have, and want to step up into DSLRs so that I can take plenty of nice pictures on my vacation.  So far, I think the canon t3i is what I'm going to go with... unless someone convinces me otherwise.  Anyone have any advice for someone who knows next to nothing about what they're going to buy? 

Also, IB4 KEITH SAYLOR.

Edited by procarbinefreak - 12 April 2012 at 7:18pm
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:17pm
Have you checked the micro four thirds?
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:53pm
I have a Nikon D3100. It wasn't too expensive on eBay and it came with the full kit including tripod, carrying case, and 16GB memory card.
Its a good beginner SLR and it takes really nice pictures. But if you're willing to dump the cash into a T3i - give 'er! Thats an even better camera.
Plus, I suppose you want the best pictures possible for your wedding so - make sure the person who is using it knows how to use it (and I don't mean on auto).
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 12:54am
Q1: Do you really want to tote a dslr around with you just for snapshots? Because honestly, if you just want better image quality, a 35mm film p+s will give you amazing results. Such as the Olympus Stylus Epic.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 1:18am
Not going to lie, point and shoots are pretty darn good these days. I've had my canon powershot SD 780 IS for almost three years. 12.1 MP and it shoots amazing enough for me. I have used DSLRs and unless you really know how to use one, as in be able to mess with all the settings, not just focus, you won't turn out photos much better than a point and shoot. But if you get it soon, October is plenty far enough to get it and play with it and research how to use it.
Look up reviews and watch youtube videos of camera experts that get to test all sorts of cameras. These guys have reviewed a ton of cameras.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 5:19am
T3i no question is what I would buy. No question. We shot a lot of our footage in the field school on Canons and they were way better than the Nikons. Most of the group going this time are using T2i's and T3i's. Good UI and great photo/ video quality.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 8:44am
The difference between Canon DSLRs and NIkon DSLRs is negligible.

If a DSLR is what you want, go to a store that will let you turn them on and hold them. See which one you think has a better user interface and feels better in your hand. Buy that one. It's all the difference comes down to anymore, and it's subjective. 

I'd consider looking at either the Canon T3 or the Nikon D3100 if you're buying it just for funzies. Save yourself some money for different lenses, unless you actually think you'll use the video settings. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 13 April 2012 at 8:49am
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 1:19pm
the video capabilities is actually what caught my eye.  I don't know how much I'd use it, but it's one of those things that I'd like to have in case I want to use it.  That, and I'd like to learn the ins and outs of photography.  I don't see myself trying to become a professional, just enough knowledge to get proper composition of the pictures I'm taking. 

Also, this won't be used for the actual wedding photos Rofl.  We have hired a professional who actually just picked up the 5d mark III.  Although with the money we're paying him, I feel like I should get a free camera from him.

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

the video capabilities is actually what caught my eye.  I don't know how much I'd use it, but it's one of those things that I'd like to have in case I want to use it.  That, and I'd like to learn the ins and outs of photography.  I don't see myself trying to become a professional, just enough knowledge to get proper composition of the pictures I'm taking. 

Also, this won't be used for the actual wedding photos Rofl.  We have hired a professional who actually just picked up the 5d mark III.  Although with the money we're paying him, I feel like I should get a free camera from him.

Let's analyze this post for a sec.  Buying a camera.  Taking it on honeymoon.  Video capabilities caught his eye.  I think we all know what you really want the camera for, and are eagerly awaiting for it to leak onto the internet.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 4:53pm

Go Canon then especially. We had problems with our Nikons creating moire patterns in strong sunlight. It made footage unusable because it had crazy stripes moving around on the exteriors of buildings and such.

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 6:02pm
ib i'm sick of lugging this big camera around on vacation.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

This.

I'm a Nikon fanboy, but only because I prefer their interface over Canon's. I really only do still frame photography, so I can't comment on the video capabilities of either. As far as picking which one you want, read a few reviews online and like Whale said, go hold them in your hand at the store; see which feels better to you.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

This.

I'm a Nikon fanboy, but only because I prefer their interface over Canon's. I really only do still frame photography, so I can't comment on the video capabilities of either. As far as picking which one you want, read a few reviews online and like Whale said, go hold them in your hand at the store; see which feels better to you.

As I said, no they are not. In terms of the camera itself/ lenses and photos, maybe. But their sensors are definitely different, and if you're using video, I have seen first hand that Canon is better, and more consistent than Nikon. The difference in still photography is negligible, but the difference in natural light video is painfully obvious. Go Canon.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 9:48pm
Also: 

Keith Saylor.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 10:41am
im going to say this, DSLR cameras take amazing pictures. but they are big, bulky and take more time to set up (take out of a case)

make sure you dont get caught up in taking pictures and forget to enjoy your time. a good pocket camera might be better. you can still take great pictures but they are much faster and easier to carry.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by merc merc wrote:

im going to say this, DSLR cameras take amazing pictures. but they are big, bulky and take more time to set up (take out of a case)

make sure you dont get caught up in taking pictures and forget to enjoy your time. a good pocket camera might be better. you can still take great pictures but they are much faster and easier to carry.
Also this.

I'd personally rather carry around a P&S on my honeymoon than one of my DSLRs. They take up a lot of space and get in the way whenever you are looking to just enjoy yourself, instead of going out to search for beautiful photograph opportunities.

If you are serious about getting into photography, I'd still recommend you wait until you get back, or bring another smaller camera with you on the trip. Just my $.02
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 2:32pm
I would say have both if you can. I had my point and shoot when I travelled last time and it's really handy being able to put it in your pocket on the go. That said, I WISH I had a T3i when I was there, the photos are so damn pretty.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 2:45pm

That, and I'd like to learn the ins and outs of photography. 

Facebook chat me if you ever have questions about that kind of stuff. I'm no Keith Saylor, but I've had stuff published. 

Like I said, for photography (The backbone of owning a DSLR), the difference in photo quality is negligible. The stats between the Canon T3i and the Nikon D5100 are almost identical. Anything past 12 megapixles doesn't matter if you're not shooting for a billboard. The ISO levels are almost identical. The kit lenses are comparable. 

Go to some place that will let you turn the things on and see which one seems more user-friendly to you. See which one feels more comfy in your hands. Pick the one that meets those two qualifications. 

You're better off with a camera you'll enjoy using and toting around. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

This.

Yep. 

I much prefer Canon's user interface, but I think Nikons feel better in the hand. If I'm going to be shooting for a long period of time, I'll use my girlfriend's Nikon D60. If I'm doing short sessions that will require more quick switching between modes and such (Like shooting a baseball game) I'll use mine, as I'm much better with Canon's UI. 

But yeah, there is almost no difference between the two other than those two aspects -- and those are subjective aspects. 

Nikon used to have the advantage because of their historical catalog of lenses that are still compatible, but Canon's EOS has been around for so long now, there is almost nothing Nikon has available that Canon doesn't have something comparable in price, lens-wise. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 14 April 2012 at 3:22pm
bravecoward View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 3:08pm
I have a D5100 and love it. Takes pretty good video too. AMA

Heres a photo I've taken with it, but I think I was using a 24-70mm lense.

Also, http://www.DPreview.com is a great resource.

Edited by bravecoward - 14 April 2012 at 3:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic