Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A close look at the new Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A close look at the new Crossover
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:58pm
 Something nice and shiny arrived on my doorstep today. I know a few of you have been interested in the new Crossover from Tippmann, and since I'm our resident tech geek I figured I'd...Well, take it apart.

Here's the completely assembled gun sitting next to a Halo for size reference. I would say it feels a bit like an Ion, but with a milled aluminum body. A pretty nice trigger, could use a slightly softer spring. Interestingly the trigger seems to have a rest position set screw, although you need to remove the gripframe to get at it.

It uses the same rotating safety/selector as the X7 Phenom. Although they did size the lever down a bit, it's a bit ouchy on the fingers to move. But it probably just needs a shot of lube on the position detent.

The foregrip is interesting. When you remove it you notice it's a fully formed ASA adapter on the end, complete with o-ring. The reason for this is the gun has internal air channels, so the front ASA is ready to go with any regulator laying around.

The feedneck is a clamp style, and I do believe this marks Tippmann's first ever production center-feed gun.

Good barrel, definately not the basic "ring of holes in the middle" stock Tippmann barrel we all know. Carbine/A5 threaded.

I'd also give them an A on the body. The milling is basic, but I've never much cared for over-the-top gaudiness. No roughness or machine marks. Good black dust anodizing as well.

That said, let's take it apart, eh?

The whole gun broken down into its basic parts. Removing the gripframe is no longer necessary to access the flex valve. On the Phenom the gas line mated with the valve directly, so you had to pull it off. What Tippmann did here is pretty clever: Removing the gripframe bolts and the safety lets the grip come off, but the trigger stays with the reciever. The trigger, the "sear" for the electronic fire, and the teeny pilot valve that fires the flex valve are all in one milled out block of aluminum, which bolts to the reciever.

Here's a closeup of the trigger group. The small brass circle at the base of the aluminum housing is the pilot valve that actually fires the gun. In the X7 flex valve this was built directly into the bottom of the main valve. One of the more irritating maintenance procedures on the original flex valve was trying to replace an o-ring in this trigger valve. This should be much easier now.

The L-shaped piece of aluminum to the right of the brass valve cap is the sear for the electronic fire. The solenoid in the grip pushes it, the L pivots and hits the trigger valve.

In manual mode, the trigger itself pushes down on this L-shaped sear and fires the gun. Pretty much the same as in the Phenom, just made a great deal more compact.

A closeup of the underside of the body. Note the 3 really tiny o-rings. Those go between the body and the trigger assembly to carry air to the trigger valve, as well as the source air from the bottomline.

The ribbon cable running along there is going to the anti-chop eyes at the chamber. The flash washed out the connector, it's a basic spring connector that the top of the gripframe connects with.

Here's the actual flex valve completely dissasembled. Definately a change from the Phenom version, which was basically a solid tube. The rear regulator has been removed, and is now on the bottomline. Where the regulator used to be (Far right) it looks like they've enlarged the dump chamber.

The small silvery bit just to the left of the endcap is the balanced spool valve. It sits between the air in the dump chamber and the powertube, only moving when the trigger valve is activated.

Left of that is the housing for the spool valve, then the powertube, and finally the Automag-style bolt.

I've never owned a paintgun I didn't mod, but I might just leave this bone stock. It's gorgeous.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:22pm
Pfft, leave it stock?

You'e gonna run it off an Arduino so you can program it to shoot out songs.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:02pm
Oh so now we can post geek pr0n?
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:50pm
Despite having the front door open, the UPS man snuck to the side of the house and left the box by the garage door. I found it by accident this morning.

What a piece of machinery this is. Light as all hell, but still got a 'solid' feel to it. I'm almost willing to bet that a full hopper will outweigh the marker itself. The tank certainly does.

?

Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:04am
I just ordered a old school air through t stock for it. I just don't like the feel of tank on shoulder. But it's definatly like no other Tippmann. I was hoping to get mine in by sunday's game I'm generaling guess I'll have to use it on the 5vs5 woodsball tourney next month.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

I just ordered a old school air through t stock for it. I just don't like the feel of tank on shoulder. But it's definatly like no other Tippmann. I was hoping to get mine in by sunday's game I'm generaling guess I'll have to use it on the 5vs5 woodsball tourney next month.

the T stock is actually a really cool idea.
?

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 8:59pm
That looks great, very interesting!
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 5:36am
Oh, the perks of being a forum moderator!  /sigh
BigbadHenchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigbadHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 1:47am
Hopefully this version of Vave as well as the gas through, are ore reliable than on the Phenom.
I had 3 phenoms, and had problems with every one of them.
Sold them all, and got Automags.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:27am

No marker is perfect and all have some issues at some point. My brother has had nothing but good things to say about his Phenom and it has been very reliable for him. Even Automags have issues from time to time.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 10:30am
I used to LOVE my phenom. Never had anything but good luck with it. No mechanical problems and it always came through for me on the field.

?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigbadHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I used to LOVE my phenom. Never had anything but good luck with it. No mechanical problems and it always came through for me on the field.

Unfortunately for me, that wasn't the case.
None of my phenoms were as reliable as my A5, which I still have as a backup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigbadHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:47pm
Oh, and since switching to mags about 6 months ago, I ave not chopped a single all, thanks to the level 10 bolt.
I've gone through tens of thousands of balls
Enos Shenk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
~-o@

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enos Shenk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 3:12pm
That's strange. If you don't mind my asking, what kept failing on the Phenom for you? The most common issue I saw around here was leaky trigger valves. It was a pretty simple fix, but a bit of a pain to get at the o-rings.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigbadHenchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 3:16pm
Balls chopping.
Leaking internal brass
Leaking Valves.
Which would be ok if it was easy to fix.
I can get to any o-ring on my x-valve within a minute, without any special tools whatsoever.
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 5:42pm
thats a pretty sweet looking gun, but that valve in the rear looks like it came out of an old brick. makes me want to pull my gear out of the attic...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic