Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I hate Mayor Mike....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mispeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mispeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2012 at 11:37pm
The thing I find funny is that the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks premote fat storage more so then regular drins.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:01am
Link?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 10:47am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

What about bans on soda in public schools? 
100% for this actually. Difference being, for the most part school kids are minors, not adults. However, it does lead to the argument about calorie values of school lunches. This has gotten nearly out of hand as lunches currently are pretty disgusting, at least here. My kids arent the pickiest eaters, but I find more and more days that we are having to pack lunches simply because what is being served sucks, and not because of whats being served, but because what is being served has had all of the flavor, fat, and salt taken out of it making it a mushy pile of goo that tastes like paper.

Regarding artificial sweeteners, i have read a few articles that do say that there are arguments that they confuse the body and can actually make people gain weight rather than lose it. I question this as I used to put down 3-4 Big Gulps a day of Diet Coke during my late teens/mid 20's and was still rail thin. I did stop drinking diet soda at some point as I quit drinking sodas pretty much alltogether.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 11:10am
My research was very brief this morning, but what I saw only suggested that artificial sweeteners increase your apetite, which can cause a higher caloric intake, but not that it makes you store more fat.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

What about bans on soda in public schools? 
100% for this actually. Difference being, for the most part school kids are minors, not adults.

I agree with you. I was more or less trying to get a sense of where people's lines are as far as soda access, as the opinion about size restrictions for adults has been largely negative here. 

I'm a proponent of soda and sports drink bans in public schools. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 06 June 2012 at 1:19pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:29pm
One problem with banning soda in public schools is that some school systems have contracts with the soda companies for vending machines.  My old one was that way.  They went through some pretty substantial budget cuts and made up for some of it with a multi-million dollar deal with Coke for exclusive vending rights.  
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 2:57pm
Might a well sell their student records to companies, to make up for budget cuts.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:02pm
Might as well sell their students into sex slavery, amirite?

What?
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

That is not a good answer for a 140 BILLION Dollar problem. And it is a crappy example. In your " free country" there are plenty of things you cant do that the goverment controls for your benifit. Pretty much any law actually.........

Enforced guidelines arw already in place for other food additives. I dont see a problem with this. I do agree it is a little silly, but next you'll be arguing agsinst laws prohibiting asbestos.
I'm not trying to argue semantics and specific legislation, I'm hardly a lawyer. My statement was more so based on principle. How free do you really consider your country to be if you are legally banned from buying a large soda?

If we have proven ourselves incapable of choosing our own diets, we are hardly capable of choosing our government representatives.

We as a society have quite firmly proven we aren't capable of choosing our Diets. Like Kayback hinted at, with such overwhelming government assistance  in terms of Healthcare, it is an obvious step to begin imposing regulations such as this. Obesity will in short order become the number one cause of preventable death in America, and much like we target tobacco use now, we will be making dieting mistakes a major inconvenience for those involved. 

I'm not trying to say I agree with it on a personal level; unfortunately, however, government assistance  naturally leads to government regulation.
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:40pm
I agree with it on a personal level.  I hate seeing fatties...unless they are hoisting boxes high above their heads.
*Stealth* View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Watermarked

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Stealth* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:44pm
Also, I should say we have also proven fairly consistently we can't pick good representatives either. This may or may not be due to the stock of people who choose to run for government. Which leads us to that famous "Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy" quote : the only people fit to govern others are those who want nothing to do with it.

Edited by *Stealth* - 06 June 2012 at 3:45pm
WHO says eating pork is safe, but Mexicans have even cut back on their beloved greasy pork tacos. - MSNBC on the Swine Flu
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 3:05am
I don't agree with many things, on a personal level. I am more an anarchist than anything else, but honestly, idiots need guidance.

And there are an awful lot of idiots out there.

That being said, I'm honestly of the opinion that laws like this won't affect "normal" people, and the people they are designed to help will ignore them anyway.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 07 June 2012 at 3:13am
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 8:47am

I'm a proponent of soda and sports drink bans in public schools. 

The problem with that is, the schools don't seem to be smart enough to figure out what is 'good' and 'not good'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-c-food-inspector-sends-girls-lunch-home-after-determining-its-not-healthy-enough/

Remember, the 'state' who is watching out for obesity and unealthy kids, came to this conclusion not too long ago:

Yummy

So here I am wondering- how, with decisions like the two I've linked above can we trust state organizations with deciding what we can and can't (or our kids can and can't) consume? I know there's some crappy parents out there, but believe me, governmental organizations aren't any better.

?

Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 9:04am
Another option is to just raise the cost of the drinks. Fewer people will buy a coke if its $3.00+ a bottle.

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 07 June 2012 at 9:04am
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:20am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I agree with it on a personal level.  I hate seeing fatties...unless they are hoisting boxes high above their heads.

>_>

Not sure if I should be offended.
Que pasa?

Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:48am
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

>_>

Not sure if I should be offended.
Hahahahaha.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">I'm a proponent of soda and sports drink bans in public schools. 

The problem with that is, the schools don't seem to be smart enough to figure out what is 'good' and 'not good'

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/n-c-food-inspector-sends-girls-lunch-home-after-determining-its-not-healthy-enough/

Remember, the 'state' who is watching out for obesity and unealthy kids, came to this conclusion not too long ago:

Yummy

So here I am wondering- how, with decisions like the two I've linked above can we trust state organizations with deciding what we can and can't (or our kids can and can't) consume? I know there's some crappy parents out there, but believe me, governmental organizations aren't any better.

Actually, here's the honest-to-god lowdown on sports drinks and sodas in schools. They're profitable. The school contracts with a vending company to put the machines in. The vending company will forego their usual 70% commission rate on the profit knowing that the kids don't have an opportunity to buy it from a competitor and go 50/50 split on the sale price of a soda/sports drink with the school. That means for every $1.50 spent on a 20oz Coke at a school, the school itself is pocketing $0.75 and the vending company is pocketing $0.20 after costs. At a time when schools are woefully underfunded and teachers are spending money out of their own pockets for supplies in the classroom, schools are turning to these rather lucrative sales to bolster their funds for things like new computers, new textbooks, uniforms, sports equipment, etc.

The whole catch 22 is that if you pull the stuff the students WANT to drink and eat from vending, they won't spend the money meaning less funds for the school meaning a lower quality of education. Much like everything else in the Green and Health-Conscious movements today, if you narrow the focus, you loose sight of the bigger picture.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:54pm
Also, if you want to see how to provide a good mix of foods kids want to eat, and good-for-you foods as well as the necessary data to allow them to make the decision of what to eat, click here. My company does a hell of a fine job educating students using a simple "spotlight" program.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 2:52pm
Pretty sure The Simpsons already covered this.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Pretty sure The Simpsons already covered this.

Youtube embed or shens!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic