Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NBA Finals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NBA Finals
    Posted: 15 June 2012 at 9:52am
Anyone else watching? I'm not really a fan of either, but rooting for OKC because they seem like the underdogs. It was fun listening to the announcers slobbering all over themselves about how good the Heat were only to watch OKC come back and beat them like step kids during game one. Even at the end, they still seemed unable to comprehend that the Heat actually lost. Wasnt about how OKC came back, but how the Heat lost.

Game two wasnt much different. You could just about hear the commentators bumping their fists under the table as they were talking about the Heat who would have most likely lost or gone into overtime if the refs hadnt majorly blown a couple of calls.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 2:58pm
D-wade fan, so I am rooting for the Heat. Plus I like seeing underdogs stay in their place.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 3:15pm
I'm watching. I'm splitting my time with that and the NCAA baseball playoffs. 

And I'm going for OKC. One, I'm a Magic fan, so seriously forget the Heat. And my girlfriend is from Oklahoma City (Well, she was born there and lived there until she was about four), so she's rooting for them too. 

I don't really hate the individual players on the Heat as much as a lot of people do. D-wade is a classy guy, Bosh is a hell of a power forward, and Lebron, while he didn't handle the "decision" very well, handles himself very well off the court. 

My dislike of the Heat comes mostly as a friendly jabbing from Orlando. 

And I think OKC absolutely has to have Westbrook step up his game by miles in order to have a chance. Harden is playing at the top of his game, Durant is amazingly good, but without a solid point guard, they're going to get outmuscled by Miami. And you saw that in game two. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Plus I like seeing underdogs stay in their place.

If OKC wins, they're going to be the new empire of the west, especially with the aging Lakers, the fully aged Mavs, and the well-past-aged Spurs. 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 4:20pm
Im not a James fan. Even when he was with Cleveland I thought he was somewhat of a douche. I guess I am not so much rooting against him as I am rooting for him to fail. He seemed to crumble under the pressure with Cleveland, it would irritate me to see him suddenly step up and finally go all the way with his dream team.

I also like the fact that OKC isn't what I would consider a big name team and they seem to be doing a great job. It isnt one or two players kicking butt, but a team effort. At least IMO. Also, how can you not root for a team with Moses on their roster.

Lots of bad calls in basketball, 2nd game was no exception. I know it would slow the game down immeasurably, but it would be nice to be able to have a certain number of offical reviews of calls or something within the last couple of minutes.

Looking forward to game 3, I think it will be a really different game with the Heat having fan support on their home court. Of course I would also LOVE to see the Heat get dominated in front of their home crowd.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I also like the fact that OKC isn't what I would consider a big name team and they seem to be doing a great job.

Durant will end up being a superstar, but I really think the Thunder will live and die in this series by Westbrook's performance. The Heat will be consistant, the rest of the Thunder will be consistant. If Westbrook shows up and works more on distribution, less on shots, OR actually starts making a higher percentage, the Thunder will have it done in five. 

I was also kinda bummed at the Celtics this year. I'm not a Celts fan by any means, but just as a sports fan, that Garnett/Allen/Pierce combo was really, really fun to watch. This was their last year together, I think. At 36, 36 and 34, Boston has to dismantle and rebuild around Rondo for the future. Garnett's going to retire and Boston will probably trade Ray Allen. 

It's a bummer. Even when they beat up on the Magic it was fun to watch. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 16 June 2012 at 5:01pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 5:58pm
I wanted the Celtics to go all the way. They have 2 purdue players that graduated last year, so I was biased.

Go OKC!
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2012 at 10:53pm
Now with the finals are over, the big free agency push is getting interesting. I am checking the local SB Nation to see how the Devils are faring  on Parise and Nash.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:35pm
Durant in foul trouble = OKC in trouble. 

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Now with the finals are over, the big free agency push is getting interesting. I am checking the local SB Nation to see how the Devils are faring  on Parise and Nash.

Are Jersey fans actually thinking the Devils will make a push for Nash? Lou probably can't afford to resign Parise, let alone take on an albatross of a contract like Nash's.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2012 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Are Jersey fans actually thinking the Devils will make a push for Nash? Lou probably can't afford to resign Parise, let alone take on an albatross of a contract like Nash's.

Oops, I meant to type Suter. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

I have not seen any mention of Nash other than NYR fans hoping they pick him up, or the occasional "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if pigs flew and we acquire Nash?"

I definitely feel that NJ has the moolah to resign Parise, although I am a bit concerned that he may demand some absurd amount of cash, a la Kovalchuk. 

I would laugh like a senile old person(Mack) if NJ made a serious push for Nash. It would probably definitely cause a bloated team with superstar forwards, an aging goal, and small time defensemen.
Snipa69 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soulectomy complete in 3...2...1...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipa69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 2:28am
Did someone say Seattle Super Sonics?! Oh wait...
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 7:35am

but rooting for OKC because they seem like the underdogs.

[rant] I'm so sick of people saying this at every championship ever. If they were underdog THEY WOULDN'T BE AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP. [/rant]
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

[rant] I'm so sick of people saying this at every championship ever. If they were underdog THEY WOULDN'T BE AT THE CHAMPIONSHIP. [/rant]

You do know that an under dog is simply the team not favorite to win, right?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 10:28am
SSOK, why are you posting hockey nonsense in a basketball thread?
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 10:36am
I really dont care for the Heat.  I understand that they are great athletes but I dont like the personalities or the way ESPN covers them a bunch. 

I'm wanting OKC to win.  I just wonder if Miami's defense is too good for OKC's offense.  Kevin Durant is ridiculous though. I've never really watched him play outside of highlights until this series.

I'm also still upset about Derrick Rose Cry
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 10:44am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

You do know that an under dog is simply the team not favorite to win, right?
Pretty much, and I think I explained this better in another post. They aren't a team with big name players. Obviously they're good or they wouldn't be in the finals, but there seems to be so much hype surrounding the Heat, that I would love to see them get beaten by a group of lesser knowns.

I will say that one of the players I am most impressed by is Battier. When so many times these days, you get the mocking "who me?" response from players when they foul, it's refresshing to see a player own up immediately to the foul and keep a good attitude about it. Plus... Dang that guy can hit 3's. Holy Crap! I think this really screwed with OKC last night. They spent so much time guarding him they had no hope of keeping the Heat out.

It was a good game. Not the outcome I was hoping for, but still a good game.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2012 at 10:14pm

SSOK, why are you posting hockey nonsense in a basketball thread?

Because Whale likes to repeatedly drag his basketball nonsense into hockey threads Big smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 10:18pm
Well, the finals are done, and the king finally has a ring. 

Now, post-season goings-on: I guess the Rockets went on a firesale over the last two days in order to make cap room for Dwight Howard. 

The Nets also really want him. 

Orlando wants to keep him, but doesn't have the money or (More important to Dwight I think) stability. 

Sigh. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic