Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Justice for Jim Holmes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Justice for Jim Holmes
    Posted: 23 July 2012 at 7:57pm
Here is an idea. Let's put Jim Holmes the Colorado Shooter in General Population at a local state pen awaiting trial. No segregation, must be in General Pop. He can best defend his position with his peer's who understand the concept of anti-social behavior and it's consequences far better than our outside the prison system justice system.

First he would recieve a trial by a true 'jury' of his peer's, and the sentence will fit the crime. The inmate population has a tendancy to 'police it's own' and there are certian lines that are not crossed in thier society.

And the 'downside' to this would be?

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 8:43pm
Is that a rhetorical question?
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 8:56pm

Originally posted by OS OS wrote:

And the 'downside' to this would be?

A violation of America's "innocent until proven guilty" ideology in exchange for a fleeting sense of vigilante justice.

Just for starters.

I'm probably going to be hated for this, but since he'll without a doubt be incarcerated for the rest of his (likely short) lifespan, why not study his noggin and try to figure out what exactly pushed him to the point where he's at? Perhaps shed some light on how issues facing society affect youth?

Pipe dreaming of course, the vast majority of people will just focus on whacking him and moving on to the next tragedy.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:07pm
Lets throw the christians in with the lions while we're at it. And maybe get some mobs. And torches.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:11pm
Oooh, ooh! Better idea! Reinstate the code of Hammurabi!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:14pm
Seen some of the more fun prisons lately? 'Gladiator Days' with shanks and garbage can lids. The inmates do run the asylum in many cases.

All I see is this 'kid' who had no sense of consequence based on his lifestyle, playing 'The Joker' in his mind and only now gets the have a 'pity party' by the usual suspects because someone else drove him to do this.

Our justice system is failing miserabley, and it is not the gun, it is the spoiled brat idiot holding the gun(s) in this case. Watch how this all plays out, poor, poor kid, he does not deserve this, etc, as the victims are forgotten in the quest for 'justice'.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:15pm
Yes, our justice system is a miserable failure. A reasonable person might suggest prison reform, not "let em kill each other and let god sort em out."
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:15pm
The guy's life IS over. Beating him with sticks isn't going to make anyone actually feel any better, it's just going to make us look like barbarians.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:16pm
Hey Strat...does that "innocent until proven guilty' thing go for Zimmerman also, not according to the usual media frenzie.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Hey Strat...does that "innocent until proven guilty' thing go for Zimmerman also, not according to the usual media frenzie.
Fortunately, the media isn't part of the judicial branch of government.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Sneaky already said it but media =/= justice system.

Your emotional need for revenge is fleeting but a person's life is not. The minute we devalue the sanctity of life in favor for satisfying the needs of a lynch mob we open the door for innocent people to be killed. For every Holmes that we basically know is guilty there's a Zimmerman that we don't. That's why justice is blind and sits between the two extremes to dole out emotionless sentences based on written precedence.

As far as the whole "poor kid" speech, that's just grandstanding on your part. There's no pity or compassion for this man that I've seen, not even in this thread. He has an entire society waiting to watch him die.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2012 at 11:10pm
OS- you're forgetting about that whole awkward 'constitution' thing you swore to uphold and defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Quite to the contrary of your views, the ugliest, most awful cases are the ones where it's MOST critical to get everything right, dot every i, cross ever t. Because that's how a free liberal democracy functions, and that's how it protects itself from the tyranny of expediency when extremist appeals to emotion seem most compelling.

The rule of law MUST remain inviolate. Even when a bunch of innocent people are dead.

Hell, ESPECIALLY when a bunch of innocent people are dead.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
mbro View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Original Forum Gangster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 3:24am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

OS- you're forgetting about that whole awkward 'constitution' thing you swore to uphold and defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Quite to the contrary of your views, the ugliest, most awful cases are the ones where it's MOST critical to get everything right, dot every i, cross ever t. Because that's how a free liberal democracy functions, and that's how it protects itself from the tyranny of expediency when extremist appeals to emotion seem most compelling.

The rule of law MUST remain inviolate. Even when a bunch of innocent people are dead.

Hell, ESPECIALLY when a bunch of innocent people are dead.
Yep, the ones that have the biggest spotlight we need to be sure that we follow every rule and right to a T to maintain the public support for the ENTIRE judicial system. These important cases can serve to give EVERYONE faith in our system of justice because even the most guilty of guilty have a chance and have their rights respected.

OS's idea is poorly thought out knee jerk reaction that doesn't take into account the bigger picture like most of his thoughts. It's all in the details not the feelings. More people need to realize that.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 4:58am
Just a simple thought that you have after you see a part of society try and 'justify' the actions of one individual who truely commits an act of violence towards his fellow man, and then the legal games begin to find any cause but the true nature of the crime.
Constitutionally he has the right of fair trial, that is given, but does he truely get judged by a jury of his peers? Because normal members of a jury can not fashion or concieve a thought as he did to commit these acts. It was not a spontainious act, it was a well planned out exercise in violence directed toward innocent members of our society. As stated the 'victims' of this exercise in violence will soon be forgotten and not the prime focus of the 'trial', it will be how our society failed Mr. Holmes. That is how our system of justice has mutated into a form unrecognizable to what the Penal Law was devised to accomplish. Our system will now spend near $1million to protect his rights and he spent $.49 to violate each of his victimes rights, and 12 can no longer defend themselves in a court of law, nor see justice prevail.

There are just times where civilized man needs to thin the herd, and having worked law enforcement, my inner most being would see no problem having him tried by a real jury of his peers, on the prison yard, where he can defend his actions to those who, as he, have no problem violating the rights of others.

Not that I am advocating it is right, but I think we all know what the outcome of this potential media driven 'trial' is going to be. Not guilty due to mental illness, and we will coddle this man in some mental institution, be it for life, while the victims families also live in some form of 'prison' within thier minds, always asking why.
Closure sometimes mends more than what society tends to call justice.

If one of my kids were killed or injured in this scenario, a hilltop, a .418, and Mr. Holmes in the rec yard....nough said.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 6:06am
Meh
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 6:55am
I'm still of the opinion he needs a closed court room, and an unmarked grave. Stop giving these guys "their day in the media", because whatever they say in court does not need to be reported.

Concentrate of the dead and wounded so the event is not forgotten, but don't mention this guys name, his political agenda or his "justifications".

If there was more of that, there'd be less of this.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 7:21am
Insanity almost never works as a defense.

Also, no CAPCHA!
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 8:43am
The thing about insanity is you actually have to be INSANE.

Not mad or off your rocker but actually criminally insane. Very few people like that are able to function well enough in society to not be locked up in a loony bin already.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 12:45pm
I think anyone who commits premeditated murder is insane.

Just sayin....
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2012 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

I'm still of the opinion he needs a closed court room, and an unmarked grave. Stop giving these guys "their day in the media", because whatever they say in court does not need to be reported.

Concentrate of the dead and wounded so the event is not forgotten, but don't mention this guys name, his political agenda or his "justifications".

If there was more of that, there'd be less of this.

KBK

This.

I do wished trials were speedier. Like, convicted today, appeal next week, dead next month speedier.

But those are **edited**ling complaints to live in a system that makes every attempt to make sure that you're guilty of the crime you're being punished. There are lots of countries around the world where someone just needs to drop your name in the wrong light and you never see your family again.

I came across a great Thomas Jefferson quote looking for another-

Originally posted by Thomas Jefferson Thomas Jefferson wrote:

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.

I don't see this man getting off on insanity (depending on how you read that of course Wink) He planned this out for months and on top of that held a good enough GPA to get into a PhD program. I'd say this man is as screwed as anyone else on the planet.

Originally posted by OS OS wrote:

As stated the 'victims' of this exercise in violence will soon be forgotten and not the prime focus of the 'trial', it will be how our society failed Mr. Holmes. 

But let's take a step back and look at this for a second. What IF society is, in some way, failing? What if there's a point or position in which the pressures of society are beginning to take their toll on people his age (as Tallen pointed out in the other thread)?

I see this argument alot from my parents and people of that generation. I understand the frustration with the finances and time of the judicial system, but at the same time really, in my opinion of course, this argument comes down to STOP USING BIG WORDS AND SHOOT HIM. If we as a society take these incidents as a time to learn rather than simply exterminating the guilty and moving on we stand to benefit.

I'm not saying take him to an institution and use tax payer dollars to keep him alive and comfortable the rest of his life, I'm saying take the time while he's still breathing and try and see when, where, and why he snapped. At some point this guy went from normal to batpoo.

And another side to this argument. Every time someone pisses and moans about the justice system taking their time with these people what they're really saying is that this guy is perfectly normal and should be tried as such. That may not be the way they intend it, but that's the end result of their argument. If that's the case then for alot of politicians and lawmakers the obvious thing that separates the crazies from the rest of us is their guns.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic