Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First game in 3 years:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 12:38pm
I think you guys that don't like cups are doing it wrong...

The key to comfort when wearing one is the underlayer, that most people skip which causes the issues often described. 

Here is what I do. First put on a pair of long legged underwear. Then put the cup in the jockstrap and put it on OVER that first pair. Then put on a pair of regular underwear. 

(course I play paintball in the cold, in the summer, I skip the outer pair of underwear)

The lower layer keeps it from chafing, the outer layer keeps it from moving around. And if you have a cup that actually FITS you (most guys buy one too big for some reason...) you don't even notice it. I run, crawl, jump and never even think about it unless i have to pee when playing... That can be a challenge... lol. 
They tremble at my name...
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 12:51pm
I always wear a cup. I always just throw it in my underwear I'm wearing. It doesn't move around. Even if it does chafe (which it doesn't) that would be better than catching a round to the nads.

I've seen that happen. He dropped faster than a guy hit in the head with a 5.56mm.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 1:52pm
I never wore a cup while playing paintball. No way am I going to go around diving around and landing on a cup driving it up into me. I never once took a painful shot to the boys, though maybe that's a difference between real paintball pants and the BDUs y'all wear.

I always wore a cup while playing infield in baseball, unless pitching. Only nut shot I ever took in any sport was my very last football game, and it was my fault.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

maybe that's a difference between real paintball pants and the BDUs y'all wear.

I think that's probably the jist of it. I've been wearing paintball specific pants since 2000 and the protection they offer is probably just as good as a cup where paintball hits/bounces are concerned. overlapping fairly stiff panels with snaps, zippers and velcro and lots of dead space between your jimmies and the pants themselves means that a shot to the groin doesn't really have much chance of hitting your boy parts.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 3:18pm
I've never worn a cup or knee pads paintballing.  I find both to be unnecessary and a pain to wear.  Ive also played baseball/softball all my life and Ive never worn a cup unless I was playing infield.

When I first started playing I wore paintball pants, a hoodie and a hat.  Now I just wear paintball pants and a t-shirt. 
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 7:06pm
Last I played, a ball miraculously hit me in the back of the 'nads. The shot came from my 2 o'clock. I usually hang a hand towel or shemagh over the area, with the side in my pants acting as padding. Works wonders from the front - you don't feel a thing - but it didn't save me this time.

I wont be playing again until I get some quality paintball-specific pants. I've seen guys get shot in the region at close range and not even flinch. I tried a cup once, after a while it hurt quite a bit.

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 2:39am
Maybe you guys are doing it wrong?

Cups are made to be worn while playing sport. Unless you aren't putting your heart in it, they involve running, diving and sometimes body contact. How is this different from running, diving and entering bunkers in paintball?

KBK
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Maybe you guys are doing it wrong?

Cups are made to be worn while playing sport. Unless you aren't putting your heart in it, they involve running, diving and sometimes body contact. How is this different from running, diving and entering bunkers in paintball?

KBK

How often does diving head first come up in any other sport? Rarely in baseball, even more rarely in football.

I just never felt a cup was necessary in paintball. Proper play attire eliminates the need for it.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 28 September 2012 at 8:43am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 8:56am
The problem is, a large number of testicular injuries come from paintball... Guys playing without protection. It isn't widely reported, so people don't realize the risk. 

But, ask any urologist  how many injuries he sees from paintball and you will be shocked. I know I was when I asked mine.

So many new players get the speech and wear a mask, but they are also in jeans or shorts, as no one ever talks about the need to protect your "boys". I think we do a disservice to the sport by not addressing the issue. If you aren't going to wear paintball pants with protection, you do need something...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 9:25am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

The problem is, a large number of testicular injuries come from paintball... Guys playing without protection. It isn't widely reported, so people don't realize the risk. <div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0 !imant; ">
But, ask any urologist  how many injuries he sees from paintball and you will be shocked. I know I was when I asked mine.

So many new players get the speech and wear a mask, but they are also in jeans or shorts, as no one ever talks about the need to protect your "boys". I think we do a disservice to the sport by not addressing the issue. If you aren't going to wear paintball pants with protection, you do need something...

How much of the industry suggests they wear paintball specific pants though? Most woods ballers wear old BDUs, and that's where most people get their start. Until woods ballers start wearing the proper gear, the bad example will continue.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 9:36am
Yeah, I agree, but each of us can try to point it out when we see it... As the players have a huge impact on a sport. 

I talk about it at all my events. And I made a video to get it out there for others... You guys are welcome to pass that video around. 

This guy got hit in the "boys" three times in a ROW... When we were playing revolutionary war. He was wearing speed ball pants, so he had protection, but it still obviously hurt. 

The "industry" is largely made up of us the players, and we can affect change by being vocal about something that should be addressed but is often ignored as it is "uncomfortable" to talk about. 

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 4:10pm
From simunitions to paintball I've always wore a cup and would recommend anyone playing to wear one. However, I don't own nor ever had owned a pair of paintball specific pants. How about we agree to do one or the other and not play without some form of protection.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 2:27am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

How often does diving head first come up in any other sport? Rarely in baseball, even more rarely in football.

Stop playing pansy sports.

Diving headfirst happens very often in Rugby. It is the preferred method of telling you opponent "this far and no further".

Cricket is where I mainly wore a cup, and sometimes you just aren't going to beat the ball without a decent dive. More often you are diving when you're fielding, and not wearing a cup, but it happens. That being said, a full inning of batting is less than one hopper's worth of balls.

I also don't run and dive into every bunker I see.....

KBK

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 3:47am
I've never worn a cup, that's generally something you don't see a lot of round here.(Aye w're made of sterner stuff!) I have however taken a couple of shots to the old chap and his compadres, 

It's a bit like I tell my punters. It is what it is, don't want hurt, don't get shot.

(Cock and balls are required to be presented to the enemy be it football, paintball, battle or pub quiz.)
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 3:54am
Of course you don't wear cups. You can't keep one in place under a skirt*.

KBK

*for the slower people on the forum I am casting dispersions on the traditional for of dress for 'Scots. The kilt.

KBK
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 8:30am
Many years of playing, and I've never worn one. Woodsball, speedball, rec games, scenario games....not once. And I've never taken a round to the pills either.

I completely understand this this is a fool move on my part, but for some reason I've never even picked one up much less worn one. I've seen people take nad shots and its ugly. I freely admit to being an idiot on this subject.
?

scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 10:50am
Well no amount of bollock shots are going to be as bad as a shot to the bell end. I've had both and the old japs eye still winces when I think about it.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 12:37pm
I wore a cup when I played, it never was too uncomfortable for me. The one time I went without I managed to take two hits in rapid succession to the tip and shaft. They were at range and bounced, but boy did it sting. Anyways, the cup is really about preventing serious injury, the odds are that you won't take a serious hit, but it's the close range shots when you aren't defended where you're going to get injured, like trying to bunker someone and they shoot up at you, or you're in a position where your pants are taught. There was once an infamous picture of what a close-range hit can do to that region, it was horrible. I've had enough horrible/hilarious injuries to that area where I would wear a cup if I played again. By the way, it's not having your testicle driven up into your abdominal cavity that hurts, it's when it pops back out. It's like a submarine doing an emergency blow, it slowly gains velocity until it resurfaces violently. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 3:32pm
Played today at my field... Holy cow... It was SO MUCH FUN! Yes, I got shot in the cup, again...

The video that I have seen so far is AMAZING. By far the best I have ever captured on film... I will be editing the rest of the day, while sitting on my rear end trying to recover... Getting old stinks. 
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 4:22pm

Got shot in the ol' wedding tackle point blank once, someone thought there was no paint left. Easily one of the most painful experiences of my life, after waking up in surgery and a few spectacular snowboard wipeouts.

Even so, never wore a cup, I just ended up, er, padding a bit. My old Empire pants actually provided a lot of protection on their own (didn't have them on in the above incident, as it was ~super serious hiding in the woods-ball~). What I have always considered essential are: gloves (mildly padded mountain biking gloves), and two bandanas (head and neck).

I definitely miss playing, it's been years now since I sold my last marker, and I miss it just on an aesthetic level... God damn that thing was pretty: 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic