Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

know the culture of where you are...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: know the culture of where you are...
    Posted: 15 November 2012 at 3:22pm
So having a nice conversation with a middle aged german man (mid 50s) about glider flying and he starts showing me gliders and airplanes and some of them start getting older... So I bring up the question of restoration of WW2 fighters/planes... Oops. Needless to say things got awkward and the evening came to an end.

He explained that things were different in germany in regards to that era and it was ok because I'm young and don't know...

So now I feel like crap...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:06pm
ouch. I can't say I wouldn't have made the same mistake though. 
?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:26pm

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 4:55pm
Yeah you'll have that
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:16pm
Don't mention ze vawr!

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 12:58am
That's strange. While the Nazi party and Hitler may be a verboten subject I'm very surprised that a flier has that sort of attitude towards things. It isn't like you suggested sky writing a swastika made from the ashes of cremated Jews with them.

The German plane's just weren't pretty. I'm a firm believer in form following function, but they weren't.

The German JETS were in a class of their own IMHO and should be held up as a design route to be taken. The He 162 specifically. I pretty much creamed my pants when the Cirrus Vision SF50 was announced. The Go226 is another on my list of "wow" aircraft.

But the older early and pre war civilian craft? Not so much hey. I'll grant the Göppingen Gö 3 would look wicked painted up like a Kestrel or such.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2012 at 1:19am
He showed me a few things, spesificly the me109 and me2 but when the old lady saw what we were talking about it ended fast. I did hear some war stories...mostly of the aftermath and that may have been older than mid 50s I think her father fought on the russian front and lost his foot due to the cold. And her grandfather severed the power cable when hitler came to stuttgart to give a speach...

They didn't speak much english and I don't speak german so most of the evening was guessing words and acting things out.

I may have had a drink too. Which probably compounded my anxiety when I got home...
saving the world, one warship at a time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic