Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got struck by a hit and run drunk driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 11:27am
Pics I took after I got all my stuff out of the car.

I found I could open each door, even the tailgate amazingly enough.  All the stuff in the back is what they shoveled off the street that appeared to belong to my car.  Spoke with the guy at the impound yard.  He was amazed the guy got away, much less get as far as 5 miles away.  Said he found half the guys battery in the middle of the intersection.

Found out what I got hit by as well from the accident report.  A 2007 Kia Sportage.  The clerk at the Public Safety Office said she was still busy putting together a list of mailboxes the idiot hit as he fled the scene.  It is a miracle that he didn't hit anyone else before he got caught.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:08pm

Glad you're ok. Yeah, my guess is it's totaled considering they would essentially have to cut the car off at about the middle of the back doors and replace it. Cheaper/easier to total it. If they fix it, it will never be right.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:13pm
Having been rear ended and T-boned more than once in various different vehicle models, I'm surprised at the amount of damage  your vehicle did NOT receive. For him to launch you across the intersection he must have been going ~40-50mph. I've been hit by 2 different drunk drivers and each time the rear end of my vehicle was slaughtered, not drivable at all. One of the instances my right rear wheel was launched into some poor guy's house window across the street.

I'm only 22 and have gone through 6 vehicles to which none were my fault. All the defensive... and even offensive driving can't stop the freak surprises I have been through. Bad luck i suppose.

Edited by Ace_Of_Spades - 07 January 2013 at 8:14pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Ace_Of_Spades Ace_Of_Spades wrote:

I'm only 22 and have gone through 6 vehicles to which none were my fault. All the defensive... and even offensive driving can't stop the freak surprises I have been through. Bad luck i suppose.
What sucks is that your insurance company can still drop you with a record like this. I got dropped by my insurance company when I was like 20 for having too many claims. None of which were my fault.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

What sucks is that your insurance company can still drop you with a record like this. I got dropped by my insurance company when I was like 20 for having too many claims. None of which were my fault.

Well thankfully I was a part of my family's insurance. They all had not a blemish on their records. I seemed to have been the bad egg among the 4 of us on the insurance. Although my older sister has been in 3, of which 2 were her fault to which both were completely totalled.

4 of mine were totalled out of the 6 with 2 being technically totalled because the repairs would have been more than the car's value.

I think the scariest accident I had been in was when I was still in highschool. Was driving to school like any other day and was taking the exit off the highway to keep the local hole-in-the-wall donut shop afloat with my purchase when a brand new Chevy 2500 pulling a 25ft. gooseneck trailor flew by me and decided halfway through passing me that it was a good time to get into my lane to take the exit as well. Unfortunately for me I had only a few seconds to decide whether to make a multicar pile-up or take my chances hitting the service road that was 25ft. straight down. I took the high dive going 45, hit the service road somehow threadnig the needle between two cars down there, bounced like a bouncy ball into a 4 ft deep cement culvert, somehow bounced again out of that and came to a stop in a guy's front lawn. None of my airbags deployed and I left the steering wheel with a nice dent from my chest hitting it.

The funny thing is that the first thing I did was go to the owner of the lawn I just excavated and let him know I was terribly sorry about it.He then proceded to tell me he has seen many cars throughout his 40+ years of living there fly off the highway and that I was the first to not have my vehicle roll over in the process. I then called my father, who's a police officer, to let him know I just flew my truck off the highway like a failed RedBull human glider competition and that I was fine but the truck is pretty beat up.

I somehow managed to have gotten the front license plate of the truck as it flew by me monets before it cut me off seared into my brain, so my father managed to pull some strings in his department and got the whole legal ball rolling VERY quickly.

We ended up driving the truck to the wrecker, which I find amazing the frame held together as well as it did considering the angle of impact from both the service road and the culvert. The frame machine at the wrecker almost broke trying to realign the frame of the truck as well... Which is why I am now a devout follower of Dodge trucks.

TL;DR - I flew off a highway in a Dodge 1500 onto a service road which was 25ft. down after being cut off, sustained 4 broken ribs after the adrenaline wore off and managed to still drive the truck to the wrecker.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:20am

Well thankfully I was a part of my family's insurance. They all had not a blemish on their records. I seemed to have been the bad egg among the 4 of us on the insurance. Although my older sister has been in 3, of which 2 were her fault to which both were completely totalled.

I was on my mothers policy. They dropped both of us. Only explanation given was that we had too many claims. Of course this was 20 years ago, perhaps some companies changed their policies.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:43am

I was on my mothers policy. They dropped both of us. Only explanation given was that we had too many claims. Of course this was 20 years ago, perhaps some companies changed their policies.

Some companies will still drop you. Erie, for example, will or would at least a few years ago. Anymore, the auto insurance market is so competitive that companies would rather simply raise your rates and let you self-drop in favor of another company that's willing to undercut them, than drop you from coverage. Most insurance companies don't even raise their rates unless you're totaling a vehicle every year. The reason is that they don't even look at your driving record after they bring you on. Tickets rarely raise your rates with your current company because it's too expensive for them to pull a report on you after the initial one. My agent for home and auto was apologizing all over himself for not being able to beat GEICO's auto rate for us (though our combined rate with Liberty was lower than it would have been with GEICO) because I had a speeding ticket somewhere between when I picked up GEICO and when we got our quote with Liberty Mutual. He said that GEICO didn't pull another report on me after we signed up, so they didn't even know about it, hence their rate would have been lower.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 9:15am
Here in B.C., you have no choice, it's ICBC, an insurance company run by the province.  You can get private comprehensive, but the main insurance is through them.  You can have as many accidents as you want, they just keep hiking your rate.  I haven't had a claim in over 30 years, no tickets for 11 and my insurance for my '93 yota 4x4 is over $1000.  In Alberta, it would be $396 full coverage.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 12:17pm
I can't wait until I hit 25 this year.  I have a spotless record with no tickets or accidents of any kind.  My insurance is $2,800 per year for comprehensive.  If I would have just gotten liability, it would have been $2,600.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I can't wait until I hit 25 this year.  I have a spotless record with no tickets or accidents of any kind.  My insurance is $2,800 per year for comprehensive.  If I would have just gotten liability, it would have been $2,600.

Hah! Hahahahahha! Hahahhahahahahahahaha!

I pay what you would pay for just liability for two fully insured cars with $100 deductibles on each AND my house with a $0 deductible!

I guess there ARE advantages to getting older/hitched.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 6:10pm
I think we pay something like $600/year for 2 drivers on 3 cars. Eville, what kind of car are you driving? That used to have a pretty big effect on rates back when it mattered for me. I had insurance for like $1200/year at one point and then when the insurance company found out my Celica was actually a Supra, they jacked it up to nearly $2k per year. I sold the car that month.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 1:53pm
I wish my deductible was $100.  It's $1,000.  I drive an 05 MB Convertible.  I got a quote on an 05 Focus and it was $2600 as well.  I think the biggest factor is that the liability coverage over here is 1.5m Euros for property damage and 15m Euros for medical liability.  
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 2:13pm
For the year, insurance for an 05 tC is about $1400 since I got it to now and I am now 21. I have a $300 deductible because I pay more yearly instead of paying less and getting hit by a $600 deductible. I have used it once because someone ran into my bumper while I was at work and of course no note was left.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 2:21pm

I wish my deductible was $100.  It's $1,000.  I drive an 05 MB Convertible.  I got a quote on an 05 Focus and it was $2600 as well.  I think the biggest factor is that the liability coverage over here is 1.5m Euros for property damage and 15m Euros for medical liability.  
Ouch. I forgot you were over there. I've heard that insurance in Europe(specifically Germany) was ridiculous. Its why so many people rely on public transportation.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:14pm

Ouch. I forgot you were over there. I've heard that insurance in Europe(specifically Germany) was ridiculous. Its why so many people rely on public transportation.

I actually work in personal motor insurance at the minute. It's definitely hit and miss, to this day I'm still convinced that our "pricing algorythm" is actually a locked room with a monkey slapping it's balls on a calculator. Insurance pricing is an extremely complex beast.

Now that's not to say it's always really high. I'd say the average price I see for  25+ married with a "normal" car is about £300 - £400. However my mate got a quote through for a 2005 Vauxhall Astra 1.6l diesel for £32,000 annual premium . It's an insurance companies way of telling you that you'd do better elsewhere and we don't want your risk. The driver was 17 but still I've covered hundreds his age and they usually come out at a couple of grand.

Do US/Canuckistan insurers still rate male/female differently? 

The policies I deal with (Aviva) are £20m third party property and unlimited medical/damages to person liability.

I think 4 fault claims in 4 years and we wouldn't want to renew your policy and a lot of non-fault will likely do the same and something worth remembering that fault isn't always about who was to blame for the incident. If an insurance company takes ANY sort of hit on a claim then you can rest assured they are viewing the incident as though you did it for a laugh.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 6:46pm
I think it sucks when I pay the insurance company thousands of dollars and have only asked for $150 after deductible.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by scotchyscotch scotchyscotch wrote:

Do US/Canuckistan insurers still rate male/female differently? 
Yep. They do. Although it seems to be shifting to an equilibrium the more that time goes on.

Determining factors in the US are:
Grade Point Average (if you are a student)
Miles driven per year
Vehicle Type
Vehicle Model
Engine Displacement
Theft Deterrent
Where the vehicle is parked (secured garage? outside? on the street?)
Age of vehicle
Mileage on the vehicle
Driver's driving record
Number of claims

I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I know off-hand.

For example, a brand new 2004 V6 Mazda 6s will run you more than a brabd bew 2004 4cyl Mazda 6, but both will be cheaper than a 2003 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS with 36,000 miles on it if you're under 25 and male. The reason? As the agent explained to me, the 6 is deemed a "family sedan" while the 2.5RS was considered a "racing enthusiast's car." In fact, a 2004 WRX STi carried lower rates for me than my old 03 2.5RS because the agent said "It's considered out of the price range of the typical street hooning kid"
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:32pm
Grade point average? Seriously?
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 7:53pm
I ask about gender as the European court has just made it illegal to rate differently between genders. I thinks that's a bit daft as all rates can be "justified" by the statistics. 

Basically some eejit was insuring a car for his twins, one male and the other female. Naturally all other factors were identical but the insurer still wanted more money for the son. He figured he'd fight this injustice on behalf of people everywhere. He probably figured he was doing everyone a favour. 

Nope.

Now since the insurers have to rate equally which way do you think they'll go. They can lower premiums for male drivers to that of females or they can bring females in line with males. Yea they are, in general, raising insurance for ladies. So this wang is now likely to pay higher premiums for the twins as a result of his crusade.

GPA does seem a bit daft. Insurance is the major thing keeping me off the road and from my experience I think when I do get a quote for my first car I'll be lying through my teeth about my circumstances. My car will not be worth claiming on anyway and even if the insurer finds out I was lying they'll still need to pay third party costs so my conscience will be pretty much clear. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 9:21pm
For the most part driving an older vehicle doesn't have a ton of advantages, but I love cheap insurance. My truck turns 20 this year and my insurance (on the vehicle) is next to nothing because my dad legally owns it. I am paying an absurd amount of money to insure myself though.

Also, if I get in any sort of accident, I am sure the insurance company is just going to write me a check for $1200 and total my truck. I know someone who owned a 1993 Lightning and got sideswiped and the insurance company tried to write it off for around that price when fair market value for a real lightning is around 10k.

Edit: I thought I posted this earlier but apparently I didn't. Glad to hear you're okay. When I used to work at the junkyard we were told that any vehicle that had the airbags deploy had to be totaled but it may be hearsay. Looking at how warped your car looks I definitely would want a new car even if they did offer to fix it. I never did like unibody designs.

Edited by SSOK - 09 January 2013 at 9:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic