Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got struck by a hit and run drunk driver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got struck by a hit and run drunk driver
    Posted: 03 January 2013 at 9:56am
Last night on my way to my work location, I was at an intersection waiting for the light to turn green when I happened to look up at my rear view mirror a split second before I saw a car speeding at me.  The screech of tires at the moment of impact was my only warning.

My car was launched across the intersection.  There is no real way to describe the sensation of sound and obscene acceleration I experienced.  OnStar chimed in and a person started talking to me saying the car had been in an accident and was asking me if I was ok.  A guy who witnessed the accident from the oncoming lane on the other side of the light checked on me and told me the guy turned right at the intersection and took off steaming and smoking.  Said it was a dark colored SUV.

Cops show up asking me if I'm ok.  Was really jacked up on adrenalin so my bodily checklist was offline.  The witness was giving them info and I saw one of the cop cars speed off down the road where they guy had went.  Called my facility to tell them I was in an accident and I wasn't making it to the job site anytime soon.  Called my wife to tell her what happened and that I was ok.  Ambulance shows up and the cops say I should have them check me out especially as I was on the clock.  Transported to the ER where I spent around 3.5 hrs.  Several sets of vitals and a CAT scan later, I was pronounced with a sprained neck and prescribed Vicodin, Valium and Motrin.  My supervisor showed up 3 times to check on me, the third time with a critical incident report I had to fill out.  My parents kept me company and lent me one of their cars so I could get home.  Thankful that they lived close by for the assist.

Cops also showed up a couple of times.  They caught the idiot that hit me.  He was actually in the ER getting blood drawn since he refused the PBT.  I asked if I could see him.  They declined my request much to my disappointment.  He was definitely wasted.  3rd DWI or DUI as they called it.  Driving on a revoked or suspended license and no insurance to speak of.

All in all, the Public Safety officers and the medical staff were professional and courteous and I very much appreciated it all.  Today is my last full day of a free 3 month OnStar promotion and I am really glad I had it last night.  My cellphone and mount were still securely attached to the windshield, so I could have used the bluetooth connectivity to call for assistance, it just wouldn't have been as fast.  Never got to thank the witness before the police allowed him to leave.  He was very helpful when the OnStar representative and the police were asking their questions.

So, I guess I can honestly say my New Year started out with a bang.  Confused
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:24am
Glad to hear you are okay stormy. Sounds like you deserve some PTO.

3rd dui, with the 3rd including physical harm to victim. That will be some serious prison time. (At least here in Arizona). Hopefully he attends AA meetings while he's in there.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 10:47am
Hope you heal up ok!

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:00am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

That will be some serious prison time.

Let's hope! People like that shouldn't be able to drive ever again. I have no respect for drunk drivers.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:21am
He'll be residing in MY facility for a little bit after he's convicted.  He'll be in protective custody where I can't get to him, but I have friends in low places.  Embarrassed

Yeah, he's facing some severe penalties.  3rd DUI/DWI.  Leaving the scene of an accident.  Causing an accident where injury is involved.  Other property damage as he fled.  He left some ugly bread crumbs that the cops had no problem following.  Of course, there is the glaring front damage of his SUV that smoked and steamed as he went.  The cops that brought him to the ER said he wasn't injured.  Thats ok.  Karma is a cruel mistress.

Edited by StormyKnight - 03 January 2013 at 11:24am
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:37am
Glad you survived! Pictures or it didn't happen. 

Get well soon. Sue his butt.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 11:53am
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

The only assets he has, is probably some beer cozies and smokes.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 12:25pm

Just because the jerk only has a few belongings and they are probably junk is no reason not to take them anyway.

Glad to hear you're ok.

If this happened up here, it would be a double digit DUI and he'd get a slap on the wrist.

Edited by Mack - 03 January 2013 at 12:26pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 2:48pm
Here it would probably be a judge who'd run into you.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 4:51pm

Wage garnishment is a revenge dish best served cold....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

If this happened up here, it would be a double digit DUI and he'd get a slap on the wrist.

Sounds about right for WI too.  Apparently 2012 was the year of the drunk wrong way freeway driver down in the Milwaukee area.  I think the total was up near 40 for the year.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Thats no joke - some of the guys I know can work all week and bring home almost nothing.

Edited by Yomillio - 03 January 2013 at 5:17pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2013 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

He'll be residing in MY facility for a little bit after he's convicted.  He'll be in protective custody where I can't get to him, but I have friends in low places.  Embarrassed

Great friends.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 6:41am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Heh.  Wage garnishmnet.  LOL  Where he'll be working, he'd be lucky to make $.13/hr working in the kitchen...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 7:22am

The day I bought her.

Pics taken the other day in the impound yard where it is being stored until my insurance company tows it to the bodyshop for evaluation.

Can't believe one stitch of glass broke.  How amazing is that???

Edited by StormyKnight - 04 January 2013 at 7:23am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 9:38am
Wow... Glad  you are "OK", course impacts like that take a LONG time to heal. I would find a GOOD chiropractor, (many are not, it is hard to find a good one... ask around). 

Your car did a good job of protecting the occupants, especially when you see all the damage at the door seams... He must have been FLYING when he hit you. 

If he was driving under a suspended license, he probably was using someone else's car... And THEY have insurance that would cover you! 

My guess on the car damage is $13,000. 

Soft tissue damage to your back is nothing to mess around with. 
They tremble at my name...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Wow... Glad  you are "OK", course impacts like that take a LONG time to heal. I would find a GOOD chiropractor, (many are not, it is hard to find a good one... ask around).
I'll ask my wife.  She's a Chiropractor.  She might know a good one.  Wink

Your car did a good job of protecting the occupants, especially when you see all the damage at the door seams... He must have been FLYING when he hit you.
I have to admit, the safety features in the frame itself seems to have absorbed or re-directed the brunt of the energy.  He was moving.  I only saw him maybe 4 car lengths away before he got me.  I didn't have time to draw a breath.  The posted speed limit is 45 mph.  He was easily IMHO doing 10 over before the collision. 

If he was driving under a suspended license, he probably was using someone else's car... And THEY have insurance that would cover you!
This is an unknown at this time.  I'm travelling back down to the area to stop by the Public Safety office to see if I can get a copy of the accident report, then I have to go to the Prosecutor's office at the courthouse to sign some documentation in regards to the accident.  I'll see what I can learn from there as well.  Last but not least, I'm going to see if the impound yard still has the car so I can get some of my stuff out of it. 

My guess on the car damage is $13,000.
We'll see.  If the frame is as bad as I think it is, they might end up totalling it.  That would be a shame, I really liked that car.  It isn't a fitting end for my first new car purchase. 

Soft tissue damage to your back is nothing to mess around with.
Agreed.  I'm plenty sore.   I'll let the meds handle the discomfort.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 10:44am
Wow, glad to see you're ok. Hit ya hard enough to knock the o out of equinox. From everything I know about auto collision repair I would guess they'll total it, the roof even tweaked (look above the rear doors).
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2013 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

Wow, glad to see you're ok. Hit ya hard enough to knock the o out of equinox. From everything I know about auto collision repair I would guess they'll total it, the roof even tweaked (look above the rear doors).

I noticed that.  I took some more pics of it today when I emptied her out this morning.  I'll put them up tomorrow.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 6:07am
Certainly glad you're largely okay, and that can't be said enough.

?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic