Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beau's Last Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beau's Last Day
    Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:09pm
Yesterday was a great day. We went on our pasture walk, Beau all excited, tail waging, gallumpin out in the pasture. This am momma called me to the kennels, Beau is having trouble breathing, did not eat, nor drink, and is wheezing real bad. I hand fed him some really fine torn up beef baloney, he got most of it down, and laddeled some water into him. Took him downstairs and we layed down of futon so I could check his breathing. He laid his head on my arm, looked at me and basically said: "it's time Dad, I'll be waiting for you on the other side of the bridge." Right now he is laying in the sun in the kennel, looking out over the pastures, I wonder what he is thinking at times. Abby is next to him, grooming him, I know she knows as well.

Vet will be here tonight after 8, Beau will go to sleep in the living room as we all watch TV together. Got a lot to do, a good comb out/vacumn for loose hair, bath, nails trimmed, new collar and tags, he will go as a gentleman, as he deserves.

I know a lot of you think I should have put him down awhile ago, consider the past few months hospice care, and the day we had yesterday gallumpin the pasture and talking about things, he has been such a help and inspiration to me with my medical conditions, cancer is so hard on all concerned, to me said it was worth it. We have the urn already, he will go on the fireplace mantel till I go and we will share the final resting place together. Samantha, Beauregard, Duke, and Abygail(Abby). I will need to go to Kansas and have a talk with old Beau at that rest area along I-70, as well before I go. Time is a cruel enemy, things change, I just looked at the disc with all the old pics of the adventures of Beau and Dad, as well as all the other troops. A few smiles mixed with the tears, it is so hard.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 12:35pm
One thing is for sure OS, you gave him the absolute best life he could have had.  That's the most important thing with pets.

When my parents had to put down the golden retriever when I was up at college... the hardest part was going home after he was gone and expecting him to be there.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 1:31pm
Sounds like a good way to go.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 7:31pm
I went out to check on Beau in the kennel and he was waiting at the gate. He wanted to take our walk it seems. He slow walked to the pasture gate in the lead, and we walked the old MX track as we usually do. A snow flurry started, and Beau just looked at me, a all is well with the world look. Slower tha usual with more stops as he hacked and coughed as he tried to breathe. We flushed a rabbit, his ears went up he took a step and then just stood there, a moment of youth passing through his mind no doubt. As we were walking noticed momma taking pictures, she too is heartbroken. We finished our walk as he took a short turn to the pasture gate, momma met us there and we walked back to the kennel gate. Beau went inside the gate, wagged his tail looked up at us and in my mind said you are welcome, I enjoyed that too, and he went inside.

He will come in the house around 8, have a special dinner of finely cut steak, if he can swallow it, he only has had laddeled water since noon, won't even attempt the baloney anymore. Momma made a special bed for him on the twin recliners, she too is having a rough time dealing with this. He is all cleaned up, hair and coat brushed and vacumned, face cleaned up, nails trimmed, new coller on.

This big soldier still has tears falling, and after today's walk wonder if I can walk the track again, that was our time, each supporting each other through our cancers, Beau showing me how to keep up the fight after and against all odds and the docs in August saying 3 months, he proved them wrong, he is and always will be a trooper.

I took some cell phone pics at the kennel door as he and Duke stood their as cousins, Beau looking up at me with sad eyes, and Duke in his own way letting me know all was going to be OK.

Here are pics from Aug 2012.

Pic's taken after our walk after he was diagnosed. The way I will remmember him, to see him today face all deformed is heartbreaking, but he never gave up.

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 February 2013 at 7:32pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 9:20pm

I'm sorry to hear that OS, to the degree of reading your posts on here I know how much that dog meant to you.

Just a suggestion, but here lately I've been using writing to help express some of my own innner ideas and contemplations.

I think the way you saw your own pain and struggles in Beau's could make a really moving read and you have a good ability to express your thoughts. It's not for everybody, but I've found it amazingly therapeutic.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 9:39pm
OS, sorry to hear about your pup... Rough time for sure. The cycle of life is a blast till you get to the end cycle. When my dog died a few years ago I happened to read "heaven is for real" soon after. That book really changed my perspective of Heaven. It is an easy read, and very interesting. 

They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 10:52pm
I'm sorry, OS. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2013 at 11:11pm
Vet just left, Beau went to sleep on the recliner with me. Trooper till the end, tail wag, and looking at me, those eyes, that face, a part of me is gone, just so hard.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 3:36am
Sorry for your loss. I believe you and your dog have touched the lives of many of us on this board. Through your writings, not only has your beloved pet helped you, he also inspired many of us as well.

Thank you for sharing him with us as well.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 8:07am
Thank you all for the support and undestanding.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 8:09am
Originally posted by God God wrote:

Sorry for your loss. I believe you and your dog have touched the lives of many of us on this board. Through your writings, not only has your beloved pet helped you, he also inspired many of us as well.

Thank you for sharing him with us as well.

Couldn't have said it better.  Sorry for your loss.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 8:22pm
My throat is closing up.  So sorry, OS.  You gave a great life to a wonderful friend, full of love and dignity.  I am sure there are few dogs out there were as lucky as yours.  Be at peace. 
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 10:28pm
I'm sorry OS. That's really tough.
scotchyscotch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Truly a shining example to you all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 11:41pm
It's a crap state of affairs but dealt with very well. Comfortable and dignified.  I can do with reading things like this now as my old boy is rapidly on the way to the big park in the sky. Vet was round today with no answers so need to play it by ear for now.

I really am truly sorry to hear about Beau.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2013 at 1:22am
My condolences,

You did a great job with that dog, and good for you for letting him hang on longer when the eventual outcome was obvious. If quality of life is optimistic, let it be IMO. You let him have the best run possible.

Rescues make the best pets, dogs have an innate ability to read humans for emotions, they evolved to live with us and are always something special. End of life decisions are always tough (been there) but you did as good a job as anyone could.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 6:31pm
I think the vet will be round tomorrow for Bouncer. He's not been eating and hardly drinking. Just no energy and doesn't look to happy at the minute.

I don't know what the hell I'll do without the big idiot.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 7:47pm
Thanks for sharing how special he was, we can all relate, sorry for loss, OS.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2013 at 11:21pm
scotchyscotch, hang in there trooper and be there for him, it is hard, but he will be waiting for you as well............

Edited by oldsoldier - 17 February 2013 at 11:21pm
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 8:43am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

scotchyscotch, hang in there trooper and be there for him, it is hard, but he will be waiting for you as well............
Agreed.  Let your voice be the last one he hears.  It was what I did for our family dog years ago.  After the injection, my old buddy's eyes rolled back and I layed him gently down with my mouth to his ear telling him, "Its ok, its ok, you won't hurt anymore.  You're a good dog.  I'll see you again..."
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotchyscotch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2013 at 1:19pm
Bouncer went today. Not much else to say on that front I suppose. Didn't know how I would take but I'm bubbling away.

I wasn't letting that go on any longer, a quick decline with a good life until then. He had slowed down a lot recently but it was clear he was still happy. He was a 13/14 year old lab so a good innings all in all.

He was a good lad and was loved to the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic