Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Game of Thrones/ASoIaF fans?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game of Thrones/ASoIaF fans?
    Posted: 31 March 2013 at 12:45pm
Any Game of Thrones and/or A Song of Ice and Fire/George RR Martin fans? Tonight the third season of the show comes back on and I for one am super FREAKING excited! I don't even know how many times I've read each book and watched each episode but its surely well past the point where you could label me as "hopelessly obsessed". Anybody else as stoked as I am right now?!?!

Valar morghulis.
I need a new Sig...
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 3:22pm
Valar dohaeris.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 3:27pm
Just started watching last night.  I like it.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 4:46pm
I recently booked up the book and have been meaning to start it.  My friend posted this on Facebook.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

Edited by pntbl freak - 31 March 2013 at 4:47pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 7:40pm
I want to read the books. Considering picking it up once I'm done with the series I'm currently working on.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2013 at 7:53pm
Got into it at the end of last season, read all the books this fall and am pretty pumped. I'm glad it;s going to be two seasons for the third book, it should be intense.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 5:06am
Yep.  That was a good start to the new season.  Mhm. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 7:35am
Yeah, this is where it really starts to get interesting in the books. Everyone was like "Oh Em Gee! The RED WEDDING!!!!" at the end of last season. If you've read the books, you know that's really not THAT amazing compared to everything else that is happening now.

I'm more interested in how much the show will follow the books as far as focus on characters this season. Book 4 was much more about secondary and tertiary characters than the primary ones the show has had you following.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2014 at 11:34am

The show really needs to branch out to avoid catching up too quickly...

New season is gonna be great, my only minor gripe is I *totally* pictured Oberyn with long hair...

Apu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Yeah, this is where it really starts to get interesting in the books. Everyone was like "Oh Em Gee! The RED WEDDING!!!!" at the end of last season. If you've read the books, you know that's really not THAT amazing compared to everything else that is happening now.

I'm more interested in how much the show will follow the books as far as focus on characters this season. Book 4 was much more about secondary and tertiary characters than the primary ones the show has had you following.
I've been telling everybody I know that watches GoT that THIS season is what I've been waiting for the whole time. I don't want to post spoilers but you know what I'm talking about. The "Purple Wedding" alone is going to be the best thing most GoT fans have ever seen! Haha.
I need a new Sig...
Apu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

The show really needs to branch out to avoid catching up too quickly...

New season is gonna be great, my only minor gripe is I *totally* pictured Oberyn with long hair...

Plus he seems a bit on the smaller side to fight you-know-who in single combat... But we all know how that works out soooo yeah.. I have been looking forward to him more than any other yet to be introduced character. It doesn't look like we're going to see Lord Manderly though, I was thinking last night that if they don't introduce him it's seems like the direction the books are heading it will throw a lot of things off..
I need a new Sig...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 3:19pm
I didn't read a single post in this thread, because I just finished the first book and don't want to see any spoilers.

So far, I'm enjoying the read. It's not quite as good as I expected it to be. But still an entertaining read.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I didn't read a single post in this thread, because I just finished the first book and don't want to see any spoilers.

So far, I'm enjoying the read. It's not quite as good as I expected it to be. But still an entertaining read.

In many ways, the first two books are preamble, the payoff in 3 and 4 is totally worth it.

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2014 at 8:03pm
Caught up with the books. Storm of Swords is some pretty fantastic storytelling. 

I'm now watching the last season of the show, which was the first season I've watched after reading the corresponding book. 

My main thought: I think the show does a good job of making some of the peripheral stuff more interesting. I mean the side plots and minor catch-ups you get in Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons. When I read through the books, one of my biggest gripes was the mount of time spent in the Iron Islands with Balon's brothers. I just don't care about the Greyjoys. They are not interesting characters and they are not interesting lands. They are, by default, going to lose. They live in a tiny set of islands with no supplies and no food and a small army and a constantly wrecked navy. They are blowhard simpletons.

GRRM establishes this by going through their many attempted rebellions, wherein they act like over-masculine idiots and get all of their castles and boats wrecked as a result. I really don't care for them in the book.

But, at least from the little they have gotten to, the show does make it slightly more compelling. 

Second thought: Hopefully the show does an OK job with whatever GRRM thinks he is doing with Dany -- who is literally the most boring character in the whole books now. I'd rather catch up with whatever Hot Pie is doing chilling out making bread for that tavern in the middle of the Neck than read another chapter about Dany.

How do you go from being one of the most compelling characters of the book -- a kickass young empowered woman character hell-bent on getting back to Westeros for three books, armed with the best mercenary army in the world and dragons, DRAGONS, the most powerful weapons in the land, and then just decide at the end of the third book that you just want her chilling out in the Free Cities for another 2,000 pages.

Good lord. It really shines through very clearly in AFFC and ADWD that GRRM has completely no idea what in the world he actually wants out of the Dany character. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2014 at 1:00pm

Haha I don't find Dany compelling in either the books or the show, an opinion based in part on the actual text and partially on the widespread love of and identification with her of fans of the show. I don't want to root for the reinstatement of a brutal dynasty based on nothing better than lineage, and the fact that she spills so much blood in pursuit of it doesn't endear her to me any more. I mean, really, politically there are very few places for me to feel kinship. The wildlings in theory are the only group (though they are not a single group, obviously) that are not engaged in idiotic wars of nobility (in westeros), and a few of the merchant states are at least ostensibly not feudal, though most of them are also slavers... THERE ARE NO GOOD GUYS AAAAGGHHH

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 9:48pm
Yeah, Dany has been someone whose story I've slogged through since the beginning. Even when she was with Khal Drogo, I didn't much care for her portion, simply because it reminded me WAAAAAAAY too much of the Wheel Of Time series in its setting and style.

GRRM has definitely hung her out there without any real goals right now. It's tough to identify with her at all. The most compelling part of her saga is, and always has been Jorah Mormont.

As for the Starks, Arya and Jon Snow are the only ones who I've ever really been behind, Catlelyn always pissed me off, Rob just made piss poor decisions, Bran is boring, Rickon is a throwaway and Sansa is too.

Much like the TV series, Tyrion has the best of all of it. Especially given that in this season (book 4) he does so many people in.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 11:16pm
For my money Arya is the best character of the whole saga, cannot WAIT to see the incredible badass she will be!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 7:54pm
So, until I can get a copy of book 2(there are no book stores in my hometown, and Walmart only had books 1 and 5), how far can I go in the TV show without spoiling anything?
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 8:24pm
1st book is the first season.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 9:18pm
Pm me your mailing address USAF.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic