Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98 Custom Rebuilds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
kendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98 Custom Rebuilds
    Posted: 16 June 2013 at 10:54am
Hello. In short, I'm rebuilding three very old Tippmann 98 Customs. I'm posting as I'll likely run across some snags, but please let me know if this post belongs elsewhere and I'll gladly redirect it.

I've finally begun the process of rebuilding three 98 Customs, all three silver edition. Patent Numbers are 4819609 and Serial Numbers are; 067265, 248425, 248426. As far as I know, all three have never been taken to actual parks, but I do believe they've all been shot previously. I tested all three markers with Co2 prior to working on them, and all three fired without issues. The guns are 100% stock and in the box, purchased as a lot together. The markers are all in relatively great condition, minus some corrosion to various bolts and likely dried out gaskets. I would like to replace the essentials for the most part, ensuring the best likely condition for these markers to be in for the long term. I need advice here.

My goal here is to replace all gaskets and springs, polish internals, and replace any heavily corroded parts. I'm posting here because for me, it's a bit of a journey as I'm very much learning about the workings of the 98 Custom. I'm able to completely disassemble and reassemble the marker, but I'm sure I'll come across some snags here and there.

As it would be, I've run across an issue on marker number one.

(After polishing all internals and cleaning with a hand piece dremel and fixed lathe using wire brushes and cloth brushes. I washed with water and various abrasive pads. I'm using Gold Cup lubricant.)

The Gas Line was very difficult to unscrew from the Valve Body. After removing it here seemed to be a caked amount of corrosion (white, and didn't appear to be thread seal tape) inside the threading of the Valve Body, and the threading of the Gas Line. I cleaned it, removed the Valve from the Power Tube, and completely disassembled the Valve. The internals of the Valve appeared to be in great shape with no corrosion. Though the Valve Seat O-Ring on the Valve Plug seemed fine, I replaced it anyway for good measure.

I had an even more difficult time placing the (complete) Valve back into the Power Tube, and whilst trying to line up the holes for the Gas Line, I damaged the threading a bit more on the Valve Body. I placed Thread Seal tape on the Gas Line threading, and connected air (Co2) and have a slight but steady leak coming from the connection between the Valve and the Gas Line. Regardless of how much thread seal I use, the problem persists. Is there something I could have missed in the Valve itself, or perhaps I need a better thread seal product? My last resort would be to replace the Valve Body itself, as the thread damage is more heavy to it than to the Gas Line threading.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic