Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velocity issues with older Tippmann A5's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cyco-Dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyco-Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velocity issues with older Tippmann A5's
    Posted: 05 August 2013 at 5:24pm
regarding the tombstone air leak; you may have to replace the washer that sits behind the o-ring. if it gets bent it could cause the tombstone not to seal properly with the o-ring.

regarding high velocity, check to make sure the output pressure on your hpa tank's regulator is in the correct range. try using someone else's tank and see what it can chrono at.

you could get a weaker drive spring, or clip a coil off at a time. more extreme measures would be getting a lighter hammer, or adding a second regulator like a palmer's stabilizer to help control input pressure.
TippmannEmployee1 View Drop Down
Tippmann Tech
Tippmann Tech

Tippmann Sports Staff / Marker Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippmannEmployee1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2013 at 2:07pm
Try putting the stock drive spring & powertube back in the marker.  If you can't lower the velocity by screwing the adjust all the way in then there could be something wrong with the aftermarket powertube or the drive spring you put in is too strong.  To answer your question about velocity differences with different barrels.  Paint to barrel match plays a huge part in velocity & shot to shot consistency.   If your barrel has a large bore & you shoot paint that is small then you will have low velocity.  
johnfalto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfalto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 11:07am
I have an older Tippmann A5 that I love but have had velocity issues with for some time. I have taken it to the shop 3 times and have actually done better myself. Let me explain my situation and set up.

Using an older Tippmann A5 with a Tippmann Flatline barrel, the B5 shell from ICP (bullpup design) and an APE Rampage board. I was having air leaks and velocity issues originally. Low FPS (about 235) and not constant. I use single shot and the first shot would be the slowest, however the others could be within 10 points of each other. By the way I am using compressed air at 3000 PSI (top off my tank after every game).

I have taken the unit apart, and done the following:

1) Polished the internals.
2) Changed every O ring and added an extra at the tombstone. Stopped my air leak that the shop could not do so after 3 visits.
3) Put in a new aluminum power tube.
4) Replaced the valve with a 4 channel A5-X7 valve.
5) Replaced the spring.
6) Lubed everything up.

Once everything was done, my velocity jumped dramatically and I tuned it to fire in the 280 range and it was relatively consistent. However I was noticing that my shots were nowhere near accurate and I was wasting paint trying to get my targets. I would notice that the balls would veer right or left. Checked the flat line and saw nothing in the barrel that could be causing this. So I gave up and opted for an APEX2 barrel.

Considering that I had not changed the velocity screw since tuning the marker, when I went to chrono yesterday at the field, I was shooting over 360 FPS and our field max is 300. Turned the velocity screw all the way in and the lowest I could get it was in the 320's. Finally I had to take the velocity screw out so I was in the 280's.

My shots yesterday were consistent and as accurate as a paintball can be but I am not comfortable with having that screw out and not being able to control my velocity.

Why would the velocity change literally from one day to the next when the only change was the changing of the barrel.

Other than leaving the velocity screw out, How can I get control of my velocity again so that if I wanted it at 300 FPS I could have it (play only woodsball outdoors and because of the range, I have seen paint just bounce off my targets).

Any and all help would be appreciated.
tagging with extreme prejudice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic