Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paintball Breaking in the Breach

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telesearch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paintball Breaking in the Breach
    Posted: 18 September 2013 at 8:29pm
Greetings everyone,

Right off, I am new to paintball, but an an avid outdoorsman, very knowledgeable about firearms and I must mention I work in IT so please believe me when I said I did try and find an answer to my issue before posting here.

OK, so I purchased my son a brand new 98 Custom yesterday. Based on review, the web site and others I have seen with them. So, we assemble the marker after reading the instructions, attach our CO2 cylinder, which has been charged, load the hopper and squeeze off our first round. BEAUTIFUL! Accurate and good distance.

Next round explodes in the breach. Paint everywhere. Clean the marker, hopper, barrel and reassemble. Explosion in the breach again. Repeat the cleaning process again. This time we drop a paint ball down the barrel to the breach. The ball is sitting just in front of the ball latch. Fires again with good distance and accuracy. We do this for several rounds.

I lower the pressure using the adjustment bolt significantly based on recommendations of your web site. Load the hopper and try to fire the gun. Again, paint everywhere. We must have gone through this process a dozen times. The gun will not fire paint balls, they explode in the breach, every time, except for that very first round.

As I mentioned the gun is brand new with nothing added. Completely stock out of the box.
I am using XBall Inferno "Professional Performance Formula" fluorescent paint balls.

The website mentions changing the ball latch, but the gun is brand new.

Thank you for your help and patience wit this N00bie. My son was hoping to participate in an event this weekend with his friends.

Many blessings,

Gary

"Remember everyone you meet is fighting a great battle" Philo of Alexandria
ivanskis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanskis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2013 at 11:24pm
Hello Gary,

Have you tried different paint?

Is there a local paintball field you can go and chrono?
It shouldn't be breaking paint.  The only time I have experience a lot of breakage like that is when cheap paint is used.  At Decay of Nations last year they had cheap paint and it was a tough day on all my Tippmann markers.  The paint was so cheap that is was really sweaty to begin with and it would break in the breach and in midair.

A5 w/flatline barrel - RT
A5 w/Dye barrel & Tactical Shroud
98c w/flatline barrel
Alpha Black
Tippmann TPX
Project Salvo
X7 Phenom
Cronus
Telesearch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telesearch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2013 at 7:50am
Thanks ivanskis,

Your assessment makes the most sense. That is why I bought the "professional formula" paint. I guess any paint can become bad paint form what I have read. Old, not rotated, not the quality the box actually says, etc. 

The balls do seem to have a film on them and they do seem brittle, although dropping them on concrete from four feet or so they bounce really well. I am going to make a trip to our local field and see what they have to say. 

Again, thank you for responding. Many times just knowing a direction to go and/or a little insight is extremely helpful. 

Blessings,

Gary
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 9:19am
Tournament grade paint is brittle. If you brought your marker and out the box took it to shoot. You could be easily shooting hot ( over 300fps). When the guns are assembled they are not checked for velocity so you could be shooting over the safe speeds.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2013 at 9:22am
Also make sure the detent wasn't put in backwards by mistake. Open the elbow breach and with Marker disconnected from the air source check to see that the detent is facing forward or the ramp going away from the ball in the breach
Telesearch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telesearch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2013 at 1:08pm
Thank you everyone for the input and suggestions. 

I took the marker to the local field Sunday and had the pro, Jim at Rocky Creek here in Gainesville look it over. AWESOME GUY! Patient, listed to my newbie questions and treated both me and my son like we had been playing for years. Unlike the other field here that has a two page list of "How to identify newbies" on their website. Probably just for fun, but if you are trying to grow the sport i would think you would need a lot of people like myself to get involved and ask questions. Maybe its just me.

Anyway, He tried running a few ball through it as we did and had the same issue. The marker's velocity was lowered about as low as it would go and he used fresh paint. Same problem we were having.

What he noticed first after removing the barrel was that the front bolt (?) was not moving forward. He then proceeded to take the marker apart. What he discovered was one of the guide pins for the linkage arm wasn't there. He found it inside the gun and re-installed it. He then re-assembled the gun lubing all of the necessary parts and placing thread lock on the assembly screws (bolts). Most of them were REALLY tight when he tried to get them out.

The front bolt could then be seen in the forward position. Jim attached a tank, filled the hopper and proceeded to fire about 15 or 20 balls without a hitch. He double checked the calibration again adjusting to 250fps and repeated the process again without a hitch. He removed the tank handed me the marker and said, "Hope to see you out here playing soon." Wouldn't even entertain taking any payment for a good 30 to 45 minutes of work.

So we get home and my son loads the hopper and fires it without a single issue. 250 balls later, not one explosion in the breach or barrel. Not sure what to say. The company and gun have a great reputation, maybe this one simply slipped through? 

Blessings,

Gary

Cyco-Dude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyco-Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2013 at 6:06pm
it happens; might have shaken loose during shipping. glad to see you got it sorted!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic