Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Different material used in ball detent latch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different material used in ball detent latch?
    Posted: 08 November 2013 at 4:01pm
Me and my gang needed a couple new ball detents, and without looking very hard, I found a 3-pack on Amazon from a  company called "Florida gear". They just arrived today, and I notice the plastic is very different than what you normally see, and it is considerably harder (particualrly the tension on the curved "spring" part) . You can even see in the pic from the Amazon ad that the plastic is almost a clear orange, rather than the dull, fully opaque orange of most of these you see.
The ad said "Tippmann" as though these were factory original parts, but I'm not so sure. I'm concerned that they are TOO stiff (it is quite a noticable difference).
I'm wondering if there's been a design change, or of these are a non-Tippmann aftermarket part, and if anyone is familiar with these. I don't want to install these in our guns and find they're problematic. Any info is appreciated.  Here's the link to the product........
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2013 at 5:28pm
They should work fine. I've seen them before on markers that I worked on as a tech and never had an issue with them.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Re-tread13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re-tread13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2013 at 8:03pm
Thanks for the reply,Tallen. I installed it in one of my 98's and blasted several rounds just before dark, and there were no issues. I was concerned because these are clearly of a different material than others, and are unusually stiff, so much so that I thought there was a chance they'd damage the paintballs. After digging around a little, I saw that there were two reviews on the Amazon ad, and both were positve.
Also, while digging around, I found another ad from this operation, and it turns out I could've gotten FIVE of these parts for the same price that I paid for three! DOH !!!!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2013 at 10:12am
Yeah, I used to see the clear-ish detents like those come into the shop on markers that either needed upgrades or repairs. They'll loosen up over time and become less stiff, but that's not a bad thing. They seemed to outlast the traditional opaque detents which were softer from the start and would wear down over time.

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic