Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alpha black question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miburde61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alpha black question
    Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:51pm
I was wondering if there is a 16 inch apex ready barrel that would fit the stock shroud of an alpha black, thanks in advance for all answers
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2013 at 6:48am
If you find something that's a bit narrower than the shroud, you can do as I did and beef it up with strands of electrical tape on the contact points.

Ghetto, I know- but it didn't hinder performance any.
As far as WHAT barrel, I don't have much of an answer there, I never used the APEX system.
?

Miburde61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miburde61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 9:41am
my real question would be will a lapco apex ready fit the stock shroud
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 10:26am
You know, the member FreeEnterprise would be a good one to ask on this. He's pretty knowledgeable about all things Apex related.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 1:09pm

I know the stock 18 inch Apex 2 will fit the Alpha black shroud as I have one (buy the 98 threaded apex barrel). 

The 14 inch apex 2 is too short and the shroud doesn't fit. I've not used a lapco, but if they have a 16 inch, apex ready barrel it should work fine as the 14 inch is only about an inch too short. 

I have some pics of the 14 inch without the shroud... hold on let me find them...

Here it is, the 14 inch with no shroud (you can see the shroud on the 18 inch apex barrel above. 

Here is the 18 inch mounted with the shroud. 

Here is the stock alpha black barrel on it. With the 14 and 18 inch apex barrels above so you can see the size differences.

And since I dug around and found the pictures, here is the 98 custom with all the options, the original apex 1, and both sizes of apex 2 barrels. 

and the barrels by themselves. 

Now if you are buying "apex ready" tips, just remember the Apex 2 WILL work on apex 1 barrels, but the Apex 1 tip WILL NOT work on apex 2 ready barrels... So be careful if you are trying to use an apex 1 tip, as they aren't compatible with all things labeled "apex" ready...

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 18 December 2013 at 1:12pm
They tremble at my name...
Miburde61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miburde61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 10:22pm
ok thank you and yeah i wanted to get an alpha black with a lapco apex ready but the shape looked odd so i was not sure if it would fit the stock shroud that i like, but its just me and 3 friends playing in the woods and such so im not extremely crazy about the 18 inch, honestly not too crazy about the 16 either but thank you for the pictures i have a better idea of the length, however i cannot seem to find a 16 inch? do they not make them lol
Miburde61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miburde61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2013 at 10:46pm
Also does anyone know if on the alpha black elite you can remove the carry handle and still use the sights or is it one single piece?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Miburde61 Miburde61 wrote:

Also does anyone know if on the alpha black elite you can remove the carry handle and still use the sights or is it one single piece?

The rear sight is integrated into the carry handle just like a real M-16. most people who remove it either replace it with some sort of optical sight (red dot or the like) or use a flip-up back-up sight like the MBUS from Magpul.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Miburde61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miburde61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2013 at 10:41am
ok and my final question would be will a lapco for the shroud snug or will i have to fit it with e tape or something like that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic