Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

X7 Phenom air pressure issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyj608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X7 Phenom air pressure issue
    Posted: 06 February 2014 at 7:29pm
I recently received this X7 Phenom as a gift and it has not worked from the start.  When you gas it up (normally I use compressed air in a gorilla 68/45 tank.) it fires normally, the cyclone cycles normally, everything is great.  Then I took it to go play and as soon as I put paintballs in the failure started.  I can fire balls very very slowly.  If I pull the trigger at a rate of 1 bps then it works.  If I fire 5bps or higher half the trigger pulls won't fire.  Instead it sounds like the marker is starved for air, as if  the compressed air is empty.  I have tried two different compressed air tanks and even a CO2 tank and nothing is working.  Normally I am a BT guy and this was going to be my foray into Tippmann, so far it is not going well.  

Here are the things I have done.
1.  COMPLETELY disassembled the marker.  Replaced EVERY o-ring (including the ones in the cyclone.)  There are A LOT of o-rings in the phenom.
2.  Used tippmann's official grease in the proper amounts (not overdone like so many do.)
3.  Tried several different tanks both compressed air and CO2, all very full.  I did try one of my friends who only had 1000 psi left.  I auto fired it down till about 500 and around 800 is when it made the low air sound for every shot.  Hence my hypothesis of air starved.
4.  Even though I am not using a remote I made sure the bottles were not screwing too far in and blocking the air hole.  
5.  Check the air lines as best you can and didn't see any blockage.  

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm about ready to ebay this thing and get one of the new tm-15 LEs  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2014 at 1:12pm
Operating pressure for most tippmann paintball guns is 800-850psi, if you're shooting below that without modification, that might be your issue.

Give me some more info to work with here.

What's your chrono speed?
Are you 100% sure the ball detent isn't in backward?
Pop an o-ring into the ASA so it seats against the back wall. Then screw in the bottle, does this do anything to help?

If all else fails, send it to Tippmann, they'll take care of you. I've never been asked to pay for repairs on a marker that was having issues from them, ever.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
crazyj608 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyj608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2014 at 2:04pm
Chrono speed was 280.  All my tanks (except for the one I was experimenting with) were between 4500 and 3000 psi.  Good to know about the 850psi.  

I was 100% sure but I went back and checked just to make sure and it is in correctly.  

Tried the O-ring idea (good idea too, I can see how it would create a spacer that would prevent the tank from screwing too far in.)  Still have the issue. 

I may have to send it in.  I can't seem to find many people with this issue and none of the 2 or 3 people that posted about it had resolutions. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2014 at 4:34pm
Yeah, sounds like you may have just gotten a rare case of a bum marker.

The only other thing I can think of is your HPA tank's output. If it's a LP output (300-400psi) instead of a HP output (800-850psi) that could be an issue as well, but you would see much lower chrono speeds.

I'd call up tippmann and get a R/A# and send it on in. I guarantee when they get it back to you, you'll be quite happy with it. Good luck!
crazyj608 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazyj608 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 1:09pm
Well I called Tippmann and they recommended checking the seals for the trigger pin, grease the trigger pin, make sure the trigger pin is flat.  Also make sure the bolt is well greased as well.  Unfortunately non of these fixed my issues.  Tippmann said just send it in then.  I appreciate the ease of working with them.  

I did talk to my local paintball shop guy because I know he is an official Tippmann repair/dealer.  He said he has seen this issue a lot and even he just sends them in.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2014 at 1:52pm
Yeah, I spent a few years as a tech/airsmith up in NY back in the days of the Model 98 and 98c being the market leaders. With those, we could fix just about anything there at the shop. Even most of the more elaborate markers of the times (the Angel LCD, etc) were repairable at the shop for most things, but there were always those few markers that had that one little problem that required sending back to the manufacturer.

The big one for us was ANYTHING made by Warped Sportz. All of their customized "Dark" markers were a real PITA to fix.

And BE Rainmakers.... oh good lord.... The moment one of those walked through the door, no matter what the problem, they got sent back to BE for a factory overhaul.
leftshoe80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftshoe80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2014 at 3:22am
So what was the results after getting it repaired by them?
I sent mine off for a different issue and now have your problem of not being able to air up!?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic