Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Its like applying to college all over again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its like applying to college all over again.
    Posted: 04 April 2014 at 12:31pm
Along with trying to hunt down local law enforcement jobs like some kind of starving lion, one of the other lines I cast into the water back when I took my civil service exams was for State University Police. A buddy of mine from the academy and I took it, and we've been anxious for the results since we took the test back in November. Not more than a day or two goes by before one of us will text the other with "Results yet?" and the response is always negative.

Anyway, I figured since its a state exam rather than municipal or county, it was going to take a while.

Yesterday I got a canvass letter in the mail from one of the universities- BEFORE I even know where I placed on the list.
Today a second one came.

These aren't job offers by any means, merely interest letters. if I respond positive, they'll start putting me through the wringer for processing. But twice now I've felt like I was opening acceptance letters all over again. Maybe I've got a ticket out of this little town after all.

UPD is a pretty sweet gig too. One of the other old men in our academy is making 54K out of the gate, 12 hour shifts and "They don't demand too much of you." Not only that, but if he puts time in there, his son will get free tuition. State bennies are also not something to sneeze at. It was he that talked me into trying to get into that system. I'm still looking out of state, but competition is pretty fierce for non-residents in a lot of places.

?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 1:22pm
Good luck Reb!
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 5:40pm
Yes good luck.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2014 at 6:59pm
Good luck Reb!

I honestly think the hardest part about being a school LEO is dealing with kiddie BS. Not even stupid things like underage drinking, just sorting out he-said-she-said type of things that evolve into stalking/fighting whatever.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 2:21pm
Yeah. My buddy at New Paltz said exactly that- its the piddly stiff that takes up most of his time.

I got another letter today from Binghamton, much closer to home, agility test scheduled for the 17th already.
The note was basically "If you're interested, say so, and get here in 2 weeks to run you nuts off."

I found out that for update SUNY schools, I placed 55th on the Civil Service list- 130th for the downstate schools, which explains why the three letters of interest I've gotten so far are all upstate schools.

Will advise as progress is made, I'm starting to get excited about the possibility of a real job again.
?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 5:45pm
I know of a really good university you'd love to be a CPO for. The dining benefits are frikken amazing.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 6:51pm
A friend of mine went there and ended up working as an exec chef on Long Island somewhere making more money on weekends in the summer than I do all year. 
?

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2014 at 6:55pm
My dad just started at a university as his "full time" gig after retirement. If you have any questions for him, I'd be more than willing to pass them along.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Good luck Reb!

I honestly think the hardest part about being a school LEO is dealing with kiddie BS. Not even stupid things like underage drinking, just sorting out he-said-she-said type of things that evolve into stalking/fighting whatever.

Yup. Even a s a municipal cop we get a startling amount of 'beotches be crazy' files, often involving Facebook and other cyber-harassment.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 8:32am
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Good luck Reb!

Yup. Even a s a municipal cop we get a startling amount of 'beotches be crazy' files, often involving Facebook and other cyber-harassment.

I've seen plenty of this already even on a part time schedule.
In fact, most of my 'war stories' so far are related to exactly these kinds of cases.

One of our headaches is a neighbor dispute that has been ongoing for months. At least once a week we get a call from one of the parties.
?

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

Good luck Reb!

I've seen plenty of this already even on a part time schedule.
In fact, most of my 'war stories' so far are related to exactly these kinds of cases.

One of our headaches is a neighbor dispute that has been ongoing for months. At least once a week we get a call from one of the parties.

Arrest them both and set up a steel-cage match in the drunk tank to settle the matter once and for all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic