Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best long range gun /barrel combo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sevra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best long range gun /barrel combo?
    Posted: 12 April 2014 at 4:17pm
Im looking to get about 125 feet on a location with a 20ft drop.. What gun / barrel would be the best ? Only care about accuracy and range and am looking for a economical choice..this is just for recreation not competition..
I was also considering running the First Strike bullets any comments on them ?

Edited by Sevra - 12 April 2014 at 4:24pm
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 1:46pm
Some Tippmann models have the Flatline barrel available.  There is also the Apex barrel for most every other marker.  Both these barrels put a backspin on the paintball allowing extended range.  With further range, accuracy can drop off significantly.  The Apex is the only barrel you can adjust the backspin of the paintball.  It also allows some "trick" shots like shooting around trees from left or right and a nasty drop shot where you can make the paintballs hit targets behind bunkers or walls.

johnfalto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfalto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2014 at 7:53pm
I have used the Tippmann Flatline on both my A5 and my X7 Phenom and if you are looking for accuracy, forget it. At the very least if you fire off enough paint you will eventually get your target. Also the Flatline is not very forgiving when it comes to some paint and you have to really fiddle with your velocity until you get that sweet spot. The manufacturer claims the velocity should not be more than 280, however at longer distances you have to consider that even if you hit your mark, the paintball casing may not rupture. I have been able to hit a target at about 150 feet, only for my target not to have a ball break.

Now I liked the Flatlines because they kept my marker length smaller. I tend to play woodsball and often go through heavy brush. The smaller barrel of the Flatlines allows me to move faster and bring my marker to bear faster as well.

Now, I have used with great success an Apex2 barrel tip with a 12 inch Lapco barrel and a Rap4 12 inch Recon barrel. The Recon barrel is bored at .68 and has a straight line rifling. The Lapco is bored at .69 with a smooth inner surface. I have not yet explored the trick shots with the Apex2, but because the backspin is adjustable, I believe I have greater control and accuracy.

Now I have seen players with 18 inch and longer barrels, with the Apex2 but I really do not believe that the added barrel length will add to the accuracy.

Can't say anything about First Strike as I haven't used them and none of the fields that I play at allow outside paint and do not offer it.

However, it all comes down to you and your own preference and style of play.
tagging with extreme prejudice
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by johnfalto johnfalto wrote:

Now I have seen players with 18 inch and longer barrels, with the Apex2 but I really do not believe that the added barrel length will add to the accuracy.
No, it won't add to the accuracy, but will most likely add 6" of range over somebody with an Apex and 12" barrel.

Edited by StormyKnight - 05 June 2014 at 4:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic