Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel and velocity issues on an X7 Phenom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnfalto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel and velocity issues on an X7 Phenom
    Posted: 20 July 2014 at 5:04pm
I have searched the forum on this topic and found more questions than answers.

I basically have two problems that may be interconnected.

I upgraded from the Tippmann A5 to the X7 Phenom last year and am going crazy with different barrel systems and trying to find an answer to velocity issues as well as efficiency and accuracy.

First let me explain my set up:

X7 Phenom stock, purchased used (model is about 3 years old now but serviced by Tippmann directly last year). Recently serviced (by a local field air smith) with new O rings, lubed and velocity spring. Running HPA, and our field paint is GI Sports (.68). I use both the standard and premium field paint.

I have the following barrels:

1) Tippmann Flatline for the X7/Phenom.
2) Flasc 9 inch (.693).
3) Hammerhead BattleStikxx 10 inch (.684 bore) Spiral rifled.
4) Lapco 12 inch BS (.690) Apex2 ready.
5) Lapco 8 inch BS (.690). Apex2 ready
6) Rap4 6 inch recon barrel (straight rifled) (.680). I have a threaded adapter for the Apex2 tip.
7) Rap4 8 inch recon barrel (straight rifled) (.680)
8) Rap4 12 inch raptor tactical barrel (straight rifled) (.680).

I play woodsball and the majority of the field is heavily wooded with a low tree canopy.

Issue number 1 is that my velocity is all over the place. Taking single shots I can go between 268 to 301 (up and down). Just did a chrono test with a RAP4 8 inch barrel at .68 bore. Using GI Sportz field paint (.68).

I am trying to have my FPS within a tigher range, and don't know what else to do.

Issue number 2 is accuracy versus range.

I have read about over boring, under boring and different barrel lengths and many things seem to conflict with one another.

Over boring is supposed to give you a better consistency, however I also hear about the paintball rattling around in the barrel that causes it to veer right or left (which is why I am not using my flatline,and staying away from my .69 bores and up).

With regard to barrel length, I have heard that 9" is the optimum barrel length, but another study says 11 to 12 inches is required.

What I am looking for is a compromise between range and accuracy, but leaning more towards accuracy without having too long a barrel. Because of my play style, I like the shorter barrel as I tend to move through a lot of brush and a longer barrel (I have used even 18 inchers) is harder to navigate with and bring to bear.

I have not been happy with any one of the current set ups I have when it comes to my groupings and accuracy (I understand that the ballistics of a paintball are far different from that of a bullet).

What can I do to have my velocity more constant (or at the least withing a tighter range) and what would be the best barrel set up for increased accuracy (or a tighter grouping - tired of seeing my paint veering off right or left)???

Please consider that once I am happy with the accuracy and speed of my barrel I will be using an Apex2 tip however I hardly ever use it in the backspin mode and when I do, I never go beyond the 4th click.

tagging with extreme prejudice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic