Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Side-by-side ATVs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side-by-side ATVs
    Posted: 25 September 2014 at 5:31pm
Since this forum seems to be sliding towards gear heads and away from gun nuts, this might be a good place to start asking. I've found myself becoming ever more involved in my summer project of running an outdoor education program for a summer camp, and lately the directors have started actually throwing money our way for improvements. Tentatively we're building a 600-yard long zip line for next year between two of our camp sites, which should be awesome, the less awesome part of that is that our main users are city kids, and we're a little bit limited on time. Building a massive tower for a return zip isn't feasible at this time, so it might* be a good idea to have some sort of shuttle ability to make sure the thing gets used, and to be able to haul gear into the woods. One of the directors has expressed interest in a side-by-side ATV that can carry a few passengers and can handle our trails, which means mud and boulders as well as some moderately steep terrain. No doubt the trails need some work or to be slightly rerouted, but if anyone has any experience with any of the larger side-bye-sides I'd appreciate the input. I've used the last incarnation of the Polaris and found it fast, fun, and not as durable as I'd like. Kobota diesel 4X4 is a bit more reliable, but slow (not a huge concern). Haven't tried the Deere yet. Are the 6X6 and 8X8's a gimmick? They seem like there's more stuff to break but might be good and stable, safety being a priority. If you have experience or can point me to a better place to start research it'd be appreciated. 

*I think the kids will be amped up enough on adrenaline after being over a hundred feet in the air at 50mph for 3/8th of a mile to not mind a short hike back, but it'd be nice to be able to shuttle people in case someone rolls an ankle or whatever way out in the woods. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 6:49pm
I know nothing about these things FWIW.

Is a small pickup not an option? It is probably significantly cheaper.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 7:38pm
Tell the head guy to do the right thing and get a Polaris.

Maybe one of these
[URL= ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGtB3B-Gikc/URL]
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 9:46pm
It would need enough actual seats to be able to transport people (campers, staff aren't people) or it's a huge liability nightmare. I'd be fine with opening up the trails enough for him to be able to get the Rubicon out, or even just the Kobota tractor. 
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2014 at 10:22pm
Yeah maybe some used golf carts?
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2014 at 6:52pm
We do use golf carts for the camp, but as I have found through experience, they don't do too well in the woods. 4WD and enough ground clearance to clear boulders is a must. Here's hoping they'll get a triaxle load of 1.5" stone of bigger to fill in the muddy spots and move some of the bigger rocks for a start so I can at least not sweat it so much with the one ATV we do use. 
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2014 at 11:05pm
Polaris makes a crew cab Ranger, and there are conversion kits to put extra seats in the bed of standard Rhinos and Rangers.

I have owned a Yamaha Rhino 460 since 2008 and have loved it. I have not had any problems with my Rhino other than the one time debris got stuck in the fuel system. A bunch of guys on my deer lease have owned Rhinos and Rangers, and the biggest problem I've seen with them is bearings going out due to lift kits and larger than factory tires (these were older men with modest upgrades, not 21 year olds trying to put 44" swampers on everything).

Another guy on my lease had an Argo 6x6, and the lack of suspension would beat him to death while riding it through small ruts and a somewhat tame Texas landscape. I could not imagine what it would feel like trying to drive one of them over a rough, rocky landscape. He had it for one or two years before swapping back to a side by side.

I would imagine using a side by side for transport would be a huge liability. If yall can cut a trail wide enough for a four-seater Ranger, It might be best to just use an old Jeep Wrangler.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 7:10pm
Snowshoe Mountain Resort where I used to work uses 800cc Polaris RZRs for their off-road tours/mudding. They put them through hell and they seem to hold up just fine.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 12:46pm
I picked up a 2002 Honda Rubicon. 180 miles and only 40 hours. Senior owned,like new. $2300 :)
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 1:44pm
Nice!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic