Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funeral Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 8:52am
X mags are great looking guns but it's a shame you guys don't play anymore. I'm working on a two gun buy this weekend. My tippmann collection would grow to 5.

I've got a model 98 that's kind of rough with light finish flaking in spots.   Would you guys repaint it or leave it as is?
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 8:58am
Detrevni, I put my stuff on photobucket and paste the bottom link as it is already coded for this site. 

Lightningbolt, Thanks man! I try hard to make my stuff as good as I possibly can. As it will drive me nuts if something is wrong... I had to tear out boards as I went if they ended up with the ends over lapping to closely... As I knew it would bug me forever! haha! 

I'd repaint your 98 custom, some custom color! I used that textured paint on my last A-5 I painted and it turned out great. Just take your time, and sand it first so it doesn't flake off from the bad paint underneath. 

Eville, the key is to get that first row perfectly straight to your room (not the wall as the wall might be bowed or not perfectly level). So you want the boards to run perfectly straight as you continue. You nail down the first row, and I use a laser level as well as measure to make sure where you end will be enough of a board so it isn't too short... As you might have to rip your first boards shorter... I get it all laid out and run that first board, then fill it in. I had to do this one kind of weird, because it took me so long and I had to move before it was done... Which sucked! So I finished where my fishtank went so I didn't have to move it twice! Here is what it looked like on moving day! 

With the fireplace you have to get the boards to line up as you go around it, any gap and it will show. So you have to measure perfectly. My wall was wavy so I had to cut small pieces for parts of it... It was a pain but will be behind the kitchen cabinets so no one will know. I also do wood under all my cabinets, so if anyone changes the layout of the kitchen down the road, they have a floor under everything... It costs more to do this, but it is the right way to do a permanent floor. 

I use roofing felt underneath it for a vapor barrier and sound barrier. Makes a HUGE difference than just putting it on the subfloor and costs way less than underlayments they sell... And does the exact same thing the more expensive ones do... 

The hardest part is you have to pick boards that don't end at the same place as the two rows before ended. You can see how I lay out the different size boards so I can select the right ones. Then I pick colors and knots to be eye pleasing... I also match the wood color variations and stain variations to make the floor look the way I desire. 

You have to take your time and pay attention to the details to make sure you don't end up with dark or light spots, by mixing wood from different boxes and putting long boards where your eye will naturally fall. 

I also find really cool boards, and put them where I will see them everyday... not hidden under furniture or next to a wall. 

I did my bedrooms first, as I was moving in and didn't want to have to move my beds twice, and I messed up as one room I did from the far wall, and the next room I started on the opposite side, so my end boards at the door were groove on one side, and toungue on the other! Whoops! I had to do a threshold anyway as there is no way the big room would hit just right. Here is how I did the connection between the rooms. The bathroom will have tile, and the master carpet, so I did different width thresholds there as I wanted them to stop at the door on that side. Where the wood shows under the doors on the other two rooms. 

here is what it looks like when finished. 

Good to hear from all of you and see what you are up to! 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 17 October 2014 at 9:02am
They tremble at my name...
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:02am
Ehhhhhh, I'm on my phone and I'm too lazy to snap my own pictures and host them, so I jacked the seller's photo. If y'all realllllly wanna see my own pics, I'll host 'em myself. :)
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:03am
I'd like to see your collection of paintball guns! 
They tremble at my name...
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:08am
Very well! I'll post them up after work!

Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:42am
So what did I base my assessment of fe's perfection? That type of finish is one of, if not the most difficult to clean and not have smear marks, smudges, dust etc. That in itself is enough but on my tablet it looks like even the cut ends that will land under the base line up.   No one does that! Lol.

Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 9:52am
I wrecked the new fusion already. 
?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I wrecked the new fusion already. 

<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 12:15pm
Leave it to Reb. What's the damage?

Second for pics, Detrev.

The floor looks good, FE. I will love the day I can have my own home and have some big projects to do.
pntbl freak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wanna do something about it? Well do ya?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pntbl freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 2:04pm
Nice floors FE!  Is that a fish tank I see? What do you have stocked?

I did some house stuff too...

Started with a white room in the basement.

Ended up doing some wainscoting and trim around the windows.  Also replaced the trim around the two doors.  I don't like the blue because I thought it was going to be a bit darker.  Instead it turned out like a boys room.  Will change it eventually.

Started with a pretty bland kitchen.

After some staining and paint.

Also did a some landscaping in the front yard.  We moved in and it was all weeds with crappy retaining wall bricks.  Removed all of it and had some curbing put in.

Edited by pntbl freak - 17 October 2014 at 2:06pm
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 2:25pm
Another perfectionist and it looks great.   It's just the builder in me but the grade looks a bit low against the house next to the front step on the daylight Window side.   Could be the camera angle. A half inch or less can make a difference.

You guys are motivated. I'm finding it hard to just put lawn chairs away for the winter.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 7:14pm
Dammit Reb! You jinxed me!

Got in the Subie today, started it up, smelled burning rubber/oil. Took a look under the hood, but it was dark, so didn't see anything.

Finish up work, start the car again, smell the same smell. Open the hood and sure enough, there's smoke wafting up from the exhaust manifold. Drive it up to the shop (after picking up my kid) as it's a small amount of smoke and I can tell it's dripping from somewhere above. Checked all my dipsticks, everything's in the "Green" so I knew I'd be alright getting it there. Guys at the shop check the plugs for all the fluids, all dry and good. Oil filter is dry and good. So we start looking at where we're seeing oil on the engine. Turns out it's seeping from the seals around the oil pressure sensor for the VVT system. The one on the other bank is starting to seep as well. At only 60k miles, this isn't something we should be seeing, but apparently it's common on the 2010-2014 Legacies as the guy at the parts warehouse finished the sentence for the mechanic when he was saying what parts he needed. It's a $200 job including labor. I'd do it myself, but don't want to run the risk of screwing up the VVT system.

It was going fine until you brought your automotive misfortune into this thread Reb....
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:04pm
I've been working on my '02 wrx, I did the valve cover gaskets/cam seals, new rad, new cat-back exhaust, ditched the lame blind-everyone-hids, new rear struts/springs/front struts, and new sway bar end links.  Also in the middle of a kitchen reno as well. 
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:42pm
Same here.  My truck threw on the CEL today and feels to be a little down on power tonight.  There is a known issue with the Intake valve/cylinder heads that causes these symptoms.  Good thing I bought an extended service plan this morning :)
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:49pm
So I just can't deal with the paintball stuff to post a picture any time soon. Sorry. I went through one footlocker and ran out of space on the pool table (9' tourney table).

I have 4 more footlockers full.

Yeah... I have a problem.

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:58pm
AC went out on my car, won't be fixing that until April.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 10:59pm
My truck is going on 22 years and 150,000 miles. Leaks oil, sometimes is fussy in the morning, has been on fire, has one gas tank leak, half an exhaust, camber the shop guys cant fix, no AC, and no backup lights but it treats me well at 200 miles a day.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2014 at 11:31pm
Watched Fury tonight.  Definitely worth it.  It helped that the new theater in town has leather, electric reclining seats and a bar.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 12:40am
Fury looks good. I really love war movies too. Saving Private Ryan is one of my all time favorite movies.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Watched Fury tonight.  Definitely worth it.  It helped that the new theater in town has leather, electric reclining seats and a bar.

They've been promoting a new Regal Cinemas down in northern Virginia that's like that. You can even order dinner beforehand and eat it in the theater or some such thing.

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Fury looks good. I really love war movies too. Saving Private Ryan is one of my all time favorite movies.

BHD is superior to SPR in all aspects including historical accuracy and believeability.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic