Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funeral Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 7:54pm
And one liners.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 10:31pm
Fury is a must see. I liked it. I'm biased too because I am "tread head". 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:39am
I took a vacation to Denver and now I want to move there.

And I cannot wait for the first pheasant hunt of this year next weekend.  
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 9:12am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Watched Fury tonight.  Definitely worth it.  It helped that the new theater in town has leather, electric reclining seats and a bar.

They've been promoting a new Regal Cinemas down in northern Virginia that's like that. You can even order dinner beforehand and eat it in the theater or some such thing.

Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Fury looks good. I really love war movies too. Saving Private Ryan is one of my all time favorite movies.

BHD is superior to SPR in all aspects including historical accuracy and believeability.

BHD=Black Hawk Down yes?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 11:27am
Hey which one of you is Nick Tosto on the Facebooks? Because apparently we live in the same town now, which is neat. 

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 11:34am
Since this is the monthly "Hey what y'all doing" thread: 

Been teaching my classes. First semester as a full-time assistant professor, and I like it a lot. This semester I'm teaching Journalistic Writing (the intro class), News Reporting & Writing (the advanced class), and Writing for a Mass Audience, which is a blogging-based class I've built from the ground up. 

In the spring I'm teaching a class I built back at UF called Social Media & Society, which is a theory/discussion class about all the ways social media is changing the way we live. 

In fall 2015 I'm teaching News Literacy, which is this awesome required course they built here that students across the university take. It covers what news is, its role in society, and how to process/digest info you see in the media. I'm also teaching Photojournalism, which will be interesting. I used to shoot for newspapers, but I was never really trained to do so. I'm glad I have a year to prep that. 

On the research side, I'm working on some content analysis stuff looking into the themes of trending stories on the Facebook sidebar, and I'm doing a larger content analysis of use of the #GamerGate hashtag on Twitter to get a quantitative data set on that whole mess. 

evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Hey which one of you is Nick Tosto on the Facebooks? Because apparently we live in the same town now, which is neat. 

Goin out on a limb here, probably Niq-toto.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 2:23pm

Dammit Reb! You jinxed me!

Got in the Subie today, started it up, smelled burning rubber/oil. Took a look under the hood, but it was dark, so didn't see anything.

Finish up work, start the car again, smell the same smell. Open the hood and sure enough, there's smoke wafting up from the exhaust manifold. Drive it up to the shop (after picking up my kid) as it's a small amount of smoke and I can tell it's dripping from somewhere above. Checked all my dipsticks, everything's in the "Green" so I knew I'd be alright getting it there. Guys at the shop check the plugs for all the fluids, all dry and good. Oil filter is dry and good. So we start looking at where we're seeing oil on the engine. Turns out it's seeping from the seals around the oil pressure sensor for the VVT system. The one on the other bank is starting to seep as well. At only 60k miles, this isn't something we should be seeing, but apparently it's common on the 2010-2014 Legacies as the guy at the parts warehouse finished the sentence for the mechanic when he was saying what parts he needed. It's a $200 job including labor. I'd do it myself, but don't want to run the risk of screwing up the VVT system.

It was going fine until you brought your automotive misfortune into this thread Reb....

haha, sorry.

I was run off the road the other day headed home from work. Guy was straddling the center line around a bend. Sideswiped a guardrail and did 3K worth of damage. Worse part is the guy in the oncoming lane never even slowed up and I never saw him again.
?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 4:27pm
Those always suck.  I was in a similar one with my brother driving many years ago.  We were coming up to a hill in my mom's minivan and a guy came flying over the hill fully in our lane.  Brother took out 4 mailboxes and destroyed every panel on my side of the van.  
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Goin out on a limb here, probably Niq-toto.

That's Niq
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 5:10pm
I will definitely be looking at a single stack 9mm as soon as I move out of this damn hotel and get a proper safe.  Anyone have any recommendations?  The Beretta Nano looks pretty nice.  
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 6:32pm
I think the Nano is a slick little gun. The shield has a nice feel for a sub-compact as well.

One that I haven't shot, but liked when I held + have heard good things about is the xDS
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 6:50pm
I've been looking at the shield a lot too since I've had an M&P for about 8 years now, so I'm pretty familiar with them.  Do you know if anyone makes a larger safety lever for it?  I haven't been able to find anything.

Edited by evillepaintball - 19 October 2014 at 6:52pm
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 11:27pm
I was shopping for small single stacks (9mm or bigger) a few months ago.

The Nano felt okay in my hands, but I don't like that it doesn't have a slide release.

I think the whole M&P line really nails ergonomics, and the Shield feels really nice in the hand. I didn't like the thumb safety though, and the version with no safety wasn't available at the time.

I didn't get to handle any of the compact Walthers, though I've heard great things about them.

I ended up getting an XDS (in .45, even though 9mm makes more sense) because of the lack of dinky, hard to manipulate thumb safety and how it felt in my hands. Only the 3.3" existed when I bought mine, but the option of the 4.0" barrel while keeping the small frame is a nice option if your carry style means you won't notice a bit of extra barrel/slide length.

It's also worth noting that any of the striker-fired guns will have much nicer triggers than the DAO hammer-fired guns like the LC9.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 11:04am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

BHD=Black Hawk Down yes?

You would be correct sir.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 8:32pm
I'm looking forward to Fury, more looking forward to his wife's movie; Unbroken -  the story of Lou Zamperini one of the best books I've read in a long time.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

I'm looking forward to Fury, more looking forward to his wife's movie; Unbroken -  the story of Lou Zamperini one of the best books I've read in a long time.

My wife LOVED "Unbroken." I still need to read it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2014 at 10:58pm
I was happy that apparently we were done, as a nation, endlessly rehashing wwII, but I guess not.  \(._.)/
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 6:15pm

BHD is superior to SPR in all aspects including historical accuracy and believeability.

It may be superior in terms of accuracy, but SPR, in my humble opinion, does a far better job at invoking the despair and hopelessness of war. I always want to say that Tom Hanks utterly defined that movie but really every actor in it gives 110%, it's almost flawless film making.

It's like the comparisons between Vietnam movies. I forget who made the quote, but someone fancy and important said that Platoon was ABOUT Vietnam but Apocalypse Now WAS Vietnam. That's how I see SPR and BHD.

Also, Band of Brothers > both of them

And yes, I logged in just to say that :)
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 7:35pm
Pearl Harbor is always good to watch. I also really like planes. I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was in daycare up until I realized my eyes were not fit.
I remember watching Men of Honor when I was younger and loved it.

Can you believe they made a Jarhead 2? I don't remember much from the first except I didn't find it interesting. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic