Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funeral Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2014 at 11:52pm
I had a Reb moment and got in a hit and run accident tonight. I need to replace my passenger side headlight for the fourth time.

I actually blame my dad's Sig. My truck caught on fire 20 minutes after he bought it, and the gun blew up yesterday and a Jeep hit my truck on I80.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 9:34am
See, to me SPR simply goes off the rails with the radar installation scene. No captain in his right mind is going to go off objective to take out an emplacement that poses no danger to him or his men when he knows that the main force behind them will have things like tanks, artillery, and air support to help the grunts take care of it later. Going off mission, and losing men from your already small group, just doesn't make ANY sense at all.

SPR is laudable for the D-Day sequence, but not much past that.

Meanwhile, BHD shows how the best laid plans can turn to <poopy> when the shooting starts. And you can't tell me that Eric Bana, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Ewan MacGregor, and even Josh Hartnett didn't give 110% the whole movie. BHD may be the one saving grace to Hartnett's entire career, and Bana and Fichtner just ooze the operator-ness that I've come to know from my SF buddies.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:39am
But this scene is good too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY61XmDJ-1w

It's a movie meant for entertainment. If every movie was completely historically accurate, it could be dull. I'm going to have to re-watch these movies.

On another note, anyone see Django Unchained? I don't think I have ever seen a movie use so much blood. Every shot was like shooting into a bucket of blood.

Also excited for the upcoming Disney (Big Hero 6) and Pixar (Inside Out) films.  My favorite movies are animation. Big Hero 6 was rendered on a 55,000 core supercomputer.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 1:29pm
He'd have been able to shoot all of those guys AND evac the tower.... if he'd not been a freakin' south-paw....
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 6:37pm
QT's...thing...was a pale damn shadow of any of the italian ones. I liked his work when I was a teenager, but now I can't watch it at all, it's just cut and paste and stick pop over the top. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 10:52pm
SPR was basically another heroic John Wayne type WWII movie with added realism and touched on survivor guilt. BoB was better. Fury was in short, insane. It looked more like the pictures from the war my grandfather kept in his sock drawer and never talked about than anything I've seen in a WWII movie except maybe Stalingrad. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 1:45pm
In other news, this will be on its way to me by Tuesday of next week at the latest.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 5:22pm
I'd love to run a 3-gun comp with a Winchester M97 or M12 trench gun, M1 Garand, and a bone-stock M1911A1. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I'd love to run a 3-gun comp with a Winchester M97 or M12 trench gun, M1 Garand, and a bone-stock M1911A1. 

This one is a take-down "riot" model, which means that the handguard and bayo-lug will fit it just fine.

The good thing about it being a take-down is that I can swap out barrels and throw something longer for trap or skeet (or pheasants) and make everyone at the range scratch their heads when I start shooting a 97 year old gun next to all the fancy new Benellis and Brownings
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 4:37pm
So I was looking at Shields today. The chain had a 9mm for 385 and a 40 for 350. I was going to get the 9mm but didn't have one of the pieces of paperwork on me that they needed. So on my way home to get it I stopped by the locally owned gun shop to see what he had. He had one as well so I decided I would support the small business even if our cost a few extra bucks. Then I saw his price tag. $505! MSRP on these is 449 and the guy wanted another 55 on top of that.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 6:46pm
I bet if you mentioned the price difference, he may have matched or tried their best. They know they will lose that sale if you mentioned it and they didn't try to work with you.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 7:05pm
I ended up going to a range and renting one. Loved it. At 5 yards I had 4of my first 8 shots in a .5"x.5" group. Ended up buying one from them for right at msrp. It's a slick little pistol.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 7:36pm
I learned today that my 1970 Remington 1100 can't handle high velocity upland loads.  And by can't handle I mean it somehow ejects not only the spent shell, but also the next live shell that's supposed to be chambered leaving me with an empty chamber.  

I'm not even mad.  It's kind of a hilarious situation.  

Switched to regular velocity loads and all was fine.  

Tough day though, we put out 12 birds, saw 8 or 9 and only shot 5.  All roosters though, so that's a plus.  This new hunt club has some beautiful birds.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 10:01am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I learned today that my 1970 Remington 1100 can't handle high velocity upland loads.  And by can't handle I mean it somehow ejects not only the spent shell, but also the next live shell that's supposed to be chambered leaving me with an empty chamber.  

I'm not even mad.  It's kind of a hilarious situation.  

Switched to regular velocity loads and all was fine.  

Tough day though, we put out 12 birds, saw 8 or 9 and only shot 5.  All roosters though, so that's a plus.  This new hunt club has some beautiful birds.

Yeah, saw your pic on FB today, looked like it was a tough hunt with just those few birds. Still, IMHO, it's all about being out there, not how many you get.

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 11:29am
It's a love/hate thing with the really nice weather we have.  It's nice because it's warm and dry for us walking through the fields, and it's also terrible because of the same reason.  The scent wasn't holding like it does when it's a little wet, and the birds can just run the whole time through the nice dry tall grass.  

And I very much agree Talllen... my brother and I haven't hunted together in years, so it was nice to get out with the family.  

Darur View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Stare directly into my avatar...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 3:56am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

On the research side, I'm working on some content analysis stuff looking into the themes of trending stories on the Facebook sidebar, and I'm doing a larger content analysis of use of the #GamerGate hashtag on Twitter to get a quantitative data set on that whole mess. 

I've really gotten interested in doing this kind of research lately (collecting and analyzing data from large publicly available sets, such as social media). What kind of tools are you using?

I've been playing with a few data sets off data.gov to see how police coverage correlates with socioeconomic conditions.
Real Men play Tuba

[IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1859/newsmall6xz.jpg">

PH33R TEH 1337 Dwarf!

DONT CLICK ME!!1
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 8:40pm
well, my 'o9 macbook died, so bought a retina, need it for work.  bonus of living in edmonton, going to see black keys tonight, and a guy name jake bugg is opening for them who is a very interesting artist, really like his music.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck JohnnyCanuck wrote:

well, my 'o9 macbook died, so bought a retina, need it for work.

What is your macbook doing? Mine died a month or so ago. It wouldn't boot. Had the gray/white startup screen nonstop. I tried all the fixing solutions I could find of buttons to press while turning it on. Seeing if it was a corrupted memory card. Nothing worked. I found some people with 09 MacBooks were all having the same issue and it was a bad harddrive wire. Apparently the 09 MacBooks have this problem more than any others. I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro. I ordered a new one from ifixit and replaced mine. Now it works just like before. After that fiasco, I bought an external harddrive and made a complete duplicate of my internal harddrive. Now I can boot up from the external if the wire ever gives me a problem. Just have to rewrite every month or 2 to keep it all updated.

With the explosion of the Antares rocket headed for the ISS to restock supplies, does anyone what kind of backup procedures they have for getting another rocket up as soon as possible.

Everytome I see ISS, I think of ISIS or any other names they have been given.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 1:56am
I dropped it and it sounds like I physically damaged the disc(s), makes a pretty bad sound, the best part was I dropped it into some water. Too bad, I never had one issue with it until now.  The new MacBooks have flash drives so hopefully it's a a little more robust, not that I plan on dropping it.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 2:49pm
Found a truck. 03 4x4 S10 with 98k miles, for a pretty good price. Only problem it's in Los Angeles. I really do not like visiting the Peoples Republic of California, but I might have to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic