Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Funeral Service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 7:44pm
Congratulations guys! The last time we got to 6 pages was after the Boston marathon bombing. With the last post occurring on August 15, 2013. This is also 13 pages back.

If I had a good chance of getting the macbook to work, I would probably buy it, Johnny. But I probably shouldn't be spending money on stuff I don't need. On the retina, assuming it is a new model and you are on Yosemite, what kind of speed difference are you getting for booting up and opening something like chrome? I feel as the OS gets updated over and over, my computer takes a little longer to keep up with things. I also utilize the multi-desktop screens when you command+right/left arrow and sometimes it can lag pretty hard when I have multiple pdfs open. Some of them are full textbooks though.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Found a truck. 03 4x4 S10 with 98k miles, for a pretty good price. Only problem it's in Los Angeles. I really do not like visiting the Peoples Republic of California, but I might have to.
Such good trucks, does it have the 4.3/standard?
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:57am
Yep 4.3, with multiport injection. The earlier years with sequential fuel injection have problems but it only costs $200 for the conversion. This truck has an automatic.

Also looking at a 01 s10, standard tranny with a 4.3 that uses sequential, matching camper shell, 140k miles for $3900

And I also found a 99 Nissan Frontier automatic with 133k miles for $ 4,000

Decisions decisions.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 9:54am
140k for four grand? Eeesh. It seems like uaed car prices have jumped since I bought my truck around 2009. My friend bought a mint GMC 2500 with 99k for the same price around that time.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 10:48am
It's small trucks, those things hold their value better than anything I have ever seen.  For example, my 05 Colorado currently has a higher KBB value than my old 05 Mercedes CLK convertible even though the CLK had an original list price of almost 3x what the Colorado's was.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 11:44am
Cash for clunkers also drived up used car prices.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Cash for clunkers also drived up used car prices.

Even before C4C, you could expect ANY small pick-up, despite condition or if it even ran, to bring down at least $1000.00

Between parts, or the possibility of getting it running again, most "truck guys" are happy to shell that out if something isn't so far gone it should only be sold for scrap.

Add in the "Chicken Tax" which set the tariffs on potato starch, dextrin, brandy, and light trucks to 25%, and you don't get any imports either. (Hence we only got the US built Tacoma and not the Hilux) So, you only have domestic manufacturers who aren't really making any true "light" pickups anymore, and you wind up with a supply-side condition that keeps KBB values high.

There are ways around it. Subaru threw two plastic jump seats in the back of it's light pickup "the BRAT" to make it a "passenger car" to circumvent the Chicken Tax.

Yet another reason to dislike Carter.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 5:50pm
I remember reading an article a few years back regarding the wheel base size/MPG ratio, and due to that manufacturers will be getting away from smaller trucks. It's easier to build a larger truck due to less pressure on meeting MPG standards. I tried searching for the article or something similar to it, but no luck.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:05pm
I saw a picture of a really sweet brat that I was looking at, but couldn't find any for sale.  

I'm pretty excited for the 2016 Colorado 2.8 turbo diesel.  I'm surprised no one has brought one here already.  More torque for pulling, more MPGs, and there isn't the same stigma with a diesel in a truck as there is with a diesel in a car. I Might just trade mine in for one.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 6:52pm
Yeah, Ford dropped the Ranger, Chevy the S10 and Mazda no longer sells their B-series over here. Dodge had the Ram 50, but that was put out to pasture long before the others when the Dakota started selling better. Even the "mid sized" pickups these days are starting to dwindle. Soon enough, it'll be full-sized diesel or nothing.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 8:32pm
Evil, the diesel you speak of its supposed to get extremely high mpg(rumored 77mpg).
The gas six is 317hp. 44 mpg. I'm not sure if this info is public yet.

We're in the process of switching to ford products.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 10:09am
I just got back from two vacations. Went to Destin Florida for a week, and then last week was down in Hilton Head SC for a week. I averaged 35.2mpg on the way from Ohio to Hilton Head, and got 500 miles out of a tank of gas in my 2005 Acura TSX which has the vtec 4 cylinder with tons of power. I was thrilled! Especially since I was driving at around 75-85mph about the whole trip.  

And I got a fill up for $2.69 in the middle of no where in Tennessee I think. 

I also got pulled over in the mountains of NC by a state trooper... 75 in a 55. Speed trap as the speed limit was 70 and I missed it going down to 55... It was late at night and I had been driving all day as I got stuck in traffic for a few hours for construction.

I pulled over as soon as my radar detector screamed at me and I saw him turning around... Rolled my windows down, stuck my hands out, and told him I had a CCW and was armed as soon as he walked up. 

He gave me a warning!!! and told me I could frame my warning paperwork! Haha! 

My new channel on youtube is doing well, Tippmann just featured my latest video on their facebook page! It is of the new mag fed adapter for the 98 and the new 12 round TruFeeds, which are actually 13 rounders! 

also got to play paintball for the first time with my little brother in NC. It was a blast and I will have a bunch of videos of our gameplay coming soon.. (when I get time to edit). 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 31 October 2014 at 10:28am
They tremble at my name...
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 3:00pm
Cool. Nice to hear from you again FE.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 3:27pm
I've seen a lot of people on gun forums get out of speeding tickets, and I think it's due to having a CCW. Not necessarily that they have the card, but when they pull over they do everything they can to assure officer safety. I will always turn on my dome light, turn off the vehicle, keep my hands on the wheel, inform the officer (even though not legally required unless asked) and ask him how to proceed.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 6:01pm

So I need to be more of a danger in order to reassure the officer that I am not a danger in order to get out of a ticket? Seems legit.

In other news, I finally heard back about a job and it looks like I'm moving to LA in a couple weeks!

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

I saw a picture of a really sweet brat that I was looking at, but couldn't find any for sale.  

I'm pretty excited for the 2016 Colorado 2.8 turbo diesel.  I'm surprised no one has brought one here already.  More torque for pulling, more MPGs, and there isn't the same stigma with a diesel in a truck as there is with a diesel in a car. I Might just trade mine in for one.

Man I love these, such a unique vehicle.  I had a co-worker who had one and he had over 400k kilometres on it.  It was rusted out unfortunately, but I couldn't help admire how well it ran and the snow it could go through.  And FE, sorry you got pulled over but I admire how you handled it.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

In other news, I finally heard back about a job and it looks like I'm moving to LA in a couple weeks!
Congrats man! Can I ask what for? Selling medicinal? 

I'm being flown out next week for an interview in Dallas. I haven't been home since late July 2012. The company is paying extra to let me stay and visit family/friends. I have to get up super early to drive to the airport, which will suck.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Congrats man! Can I ask what for? Selling medicinal? 

I'm being flown out next week for an interview in Dallas. I haven't been home since late July 2012. The company is paying extra to let me stay and visit family/friends. I have to get up super early to drive to the airport, which will suck.
Tech support for profs pretty much, finding a place to live is going to be interesting. Confused
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 8:19pm
I don't want to live in Cali because of the price to live there. I really don't want to be in any major city if I can avoid it. In my job searching days, the availabilities were always in large cities like Boston where apartments are expensive and absolute crap. There is no way to live a debt free life there on a low wage without some kind of government assistance.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 11:57pm
So, since I leave right of the interstate in Meth county USA, and after talking to some of the local cops, I decided to get a pistol light for my M&P.  Ended up getting the TLR1 by streamlight.  Damn this thing is bright!  I read some reviews that if you have light walls, all those lumens will just bounce back at you and blind you as well.  Luckily I have brown walls so that isn't a problem, but after playing with it at my parents house this weekend, I can confirm that white walls are blinding.  Anyway, I also had a Burris Fast Fire 3 on my AR.  When I bought it, I didn't realize that it was a mini red dot sight.  So, I bought a riser and tried to make it work, but the glass is just too small.  So I got the adapter and installed it on my M&P tonight.  I'll have to play around at the range a bit with it, but so far I am happy with it.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic