Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tippmann ft-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danedd-92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tippmann ft-12
    Posted: 18 November 2014 at 6:06pm
little bit of a stupid question I have purchased an ft-12 and I'm fairly new to the paintball scene I have seen an upgrade from hopper to magfed available but it states it only fits the 98 and A5 due to having the same elbow fitment.
I'm wondering if it would fit or I could adapt it to fit my ft-12 or just purchase a different marker???
The reason is because I'm a lefty and kinda like the idea of mag fed instead of hopper.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2014 at 6:57pm
Not a bad question and welcome to the forum!

As a left handed player, it's my opinion that the hopper on the right side of the marker is better suited for left hand players.   Consider if you're playing the left side of a bunker, the hopper is behind the bunker which is out of the line of sight and won't take hits. This also allows you to scan the field from the left side without the hopper in the way. I also tend to shoot left hand out of the right side of the bunker with the marker rolled slightly which also rolls the hopper out of the line of sight.

As far as upgrades for the ft, I'm not sure what's out there as of right now.
kendall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 9:36am
Hey danedd, 

The FT wasn't really designed for customization period, much less mag-fed conversion. The FT is about the ultimate design for park rentals and low maintenance style/inexperienced players but that shouldn't dissuade you from owning it - it's a real beauty and an exceptionally clever design.

About any modification to these markers does change the game a bit for you, and given that you're pondering mag-fed I'll assume you want a mil-spec tactical feel. You won't get that with the FT. There's not really a Tippmann marker i dislike, but for all intents and purposes you've likely chosen the best introductory Tippmann marker in terms of feeling out the game itself which is key before investing in a bunch of mods and upgrades that ultimately don't change the game that much.

If you like to concept of the marker and its' ease of cleaning and maintenance but want more of a tactical feel, have a look into a used Cronus. If you like tactical and want a wealth of upgrade options both functional and aesthetic, go for a clean used A-5. X7's are much more expensive, and 98's are much more confusing (for new players).

Anyway, to get to the crux of the post, don't do mag-fed. Trust me man. Mag-fed works well in real guns and in airsoft, but there isn't a modification or a price tag that will drive you more nutty than dabbling in magazine fed paintball. Unless you know a large group of mag-fed paintballers, you're always going to be seriously short handed, carrying more gear and spending more money on something that truthfully no company has ever done a good job of manufacturing (for Tippmann specific markers). 

That's where I circle back to the A-5 for you. The cyclone feed system is seriously awesome man, and just the design and dependability of that system will put a smile on your face. If you're trying to get rid of the ol' hopper, it works there too but putting a tap cap in place of the hopper at 10, 20 or 30 rounds for about ten bucks versus the hundreds you'll spend on mag-fed conversion. Slap a dummy M-4 magazine on her if that's what floats your boat and you have essentially the same thing but for a hell of a lot less money and a hell of a lot more reliable. 

-K
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2015 at 1:20am
Here's to Kendall - Forum Necromancer!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic