Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clever gift delivery ideas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 8:00pm
First, cut a whole in the box.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2014 at 8:11pm
I open carried whenever I was opening or closing the restaurant by myself down in Alexandria. Sure it's a big tourist area as Whale can attest to, but there was a cabbie murdered by some teens just down the block from my place for a measly $34 while I was working there, and given that I parked in an alley, well, I wasn't going to take my chances.

The owner of the restaurant was ex DCMPD and actually encouraged me to carry not only on those early mornings/late nights, but also on any night where things could possibly get out of hand (St. Patrick's Day, Parade days, NYE, etc) simply because he wanted to make sure that there was someone else there armed should a robbery take place, or some unruly patron decided to get a little stabby or else-wise violent. While at work, my 1911A-1 stayed locked in my file cabinet, but it was there in case I needed it, or my boss needed me.

Otherwise, I generally don't feel threatened and my current work situation certainly wouldn't allow for me to carry at my job, but being a "be prepared" kind of guy (Eagle Scout and all that) I'm someone who would rather have a tool at hand that I might need rather than be caught out without it. There's a reason I keep a full socket set in the trunk along with oil, a torque wrench, jumper box, first aid kit, and two survival kits (MRE, fire making supplies, water purification tablets, emergency blankets, etc.).
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

There's a reason I keep a full socket set in the trunk along with oil, a torque wrench, jumper box, first aid kit, and two survival kits (MRE, fire making supplies, water purification tablets, emergency blankets, etc.).
And I thought I was the only one.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

[QUOTE=Kayback]

I used to be neutral when it came to the concept of carrying a firearm, but the more I learned about human psychology and crowd dynamics and actual crime statistics the more my opinion shifted into "Wow it's a silly/reckless/dangerous thing to do." 

Could you provide a link on the psychology and crowd dynamics. I promise not to try and pick it apart and rebuttal. But anything that pertains to my field of work I try to read. The crowd dynamics really peaked my interest. Feel free to PM me instead.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 6:00pm
I spent the last week and a half with a load of (mostly) new POs for some supplemental training. Now that they CAN, they were all open carrying in plain clothes with their badges. One of the guys asked me how come I don't carry off duty. I DO, but concealed. Even after entering law enforcement, I can't see the reason to open carry. Even with a badge, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

?

RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 7:37pm
Open carry is a great way to make a lot of people uncomfortable. I also feel as though a hardened criminal would like to see what he is up against and figure the best plan of action if he were to do anything. I still feel a little uncomfortable seeing a cop carrying their gun on duty. It's just the fact that they have a tool that can be extremely lethal. They are their for our protection, but I wouldn't want to be around if it were ever needed to be used.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:56pm
Open carry is a great way to make yourself the #1 target of a bad guy. I don't know any LEOs that do it off duty. Were they just all hopped up on being allowed to carry?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Open carry is a great way to make yourself the #1 target of a bad guy. I don't know any LEOs that do it off duty.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:15pm
I'm not sure I agree that open carry makes you a target for bad guys.  They are typically out looking for a quick buck, which is why they typically rob people who are alone or who they perceive to be an easy target.  If that was me, I'd let the guy who I know has a gun go and wait for someone more vulnerable.  Active shooters  generally don't survey each of their targets before they go in shooting.  Hassan just walked in to the building and started shooting.  James Holmes walked into the theater and just started shooting.  If you watch the security footage of bank and gas station robberies, they run in and go straight for the cash since it is hard to survey and look nonchalant while wearing a mask or pantyhose over your face.  That being said, when I do carry I keep it concealed just so I don't freak everyone out.   
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:40pm
Get a couple of realistic toy guns and hang them on the tree along with the real one then cut it off and hand it to her during present opening.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 12:31am
Make a move on her and then stick the business end out of your fly.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

Make a move on her and then stick the business end out of your fly.

Great minds think alike!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:23am
Hah.  I was wondering why that idea came so quickly.  (pun definitey intended)  

bonus points if he goes 'pew pew pew' while it dangles out of his pants. 

Edited by procarbinefreak - 18 December 2014 at 10:23am
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic