Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A5 leaking air out of Barrel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A5 leaking air out of Barrel
    Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:13am
Just bought a second hand A5 and it is leaking air out of the barrel and as i tighten the tank air starts coming out of the tombstone area. I've gone through and cleaned the entire gun and all O-Rings are still in good condition and well oiled. Really want to fix it quickly as I have games this upcoming weekend. Help!
CSkjeie
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:35am
I am not too familiar with the a5's, but have you made sure the air hose is tightened up fully? I know on my 98 custom I had the air hose leak and I had to replace it. If it seems to start out at the tombstone area I would inspect there and make sure nothing is loose and possibly try replacing the tombstone or the air hose and see if that fixes it.
Cody2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:45am
Ive tucktaped all the threads on the air line. But the leak starts at the barrel and as I screw the bottle on more the are begins to exit through the tombstone area as well.
CSkjeie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 1:25am
After doing some research online it seems that you may want to try giving the power tube a good inspection, make sure all the parts are there and in the right order. It sounds like either the valve or power tube would be the reason for it to leak out of the barrel. Does it leak all of the time or get better/worse when you cock it?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 9:53am
Definitely check the powertube for cracks. Also, ALWAYS make sure your marker is cocked when screwing your tank in. If the striker is resting on the valve, it can force it open. That's usually what causes leaking down the barrel.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Cody2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 11:29am
Ah Thanks I will try today I havnt had the gun cocked when filling with air!
CSkjeie
Cody2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 11:57am
So after trying it with the gun cocked it still is leaking but not out of the barrel. The leak is coming from the tombstone area. The power tube is in good condition as well as the valve and its individual parts. I am going to try replaceing the parts I have handy but not sure what else it could be?

CSkjeie
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:33pm
Before doing anything too drastic, try replacing the o-rings on the tombstone and adapter, even a small nick or bit of dirt can cause it to not seat properly. Also make sure to lube the o-rings before putting everything back together. Hoppes gun oil, gold cup oil, or marker lube (Dye slick stuff, shocker lube, etc) will all do.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Cody2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2015 at 12:51pm
So i replaced the O-ring and the washer in the valve. However the leak seems to be coming from the linkage under the tombstone, which i have tucktaped and the O-ring is still in good condition. However the braided line that runs from the Tank runs into a magazine (not sure how to take apart) then through and up to the adapter and the tombstone.

CSkjeie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2015 at 12:12am
The magazine should come off or apart somehow. I know the mag on my 98 custom has to be removed to take the gun apart. There has got to be screws or bolts on it that you can remove to take the magazine off, because it should have been an add on. I would try getting the magazine off and then try to locate the leak with it removed. Then you should be able to tell where its coming from for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic