2016 Primaries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 10:12am
Ugh I told myself I would only use this thread to post stats and such but I cannot help it. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 10:10am
In case you wonder, I'm gathering my info from the Huffington Post Pollster page, which takes a bunch of other national polls and smushes them into one amalgamation of public polling numbers, which is really the only helpful thing we can do right now to make sense of different polling patterns. 

Republicans:

We have our first national polls coming out with Trump leading. It was a Suffolk/USAToday poll that put Trump at 16% and Jeb at 14%. 

Now, here's one big thing to keep in mind with that poll. 

It was simply a polling of "Adults who are Republicans," with the criteria of being a Republican that you say you are a Republican. A lot of polls, as we get closer to the actual primary season itself, will either sample from "LV" or Likely Voters, AKA you know you're going to go vote in the primaries, or "RV," or "Registered Voters" meaning you are legally registered to vote in your district. Both can slightly skew results in weird, weird ways for the dumbest of reasons. Yes, trump finished ahead of Jeb by 2%, but that was just calling All Adults and asking them who they would vote for -- who is to say that those All Adults are legally registered, or will even vote at all. When you look at other polls that ask RVs, you get Bush in the lead, with the only exception being a YouGov/Economist poll, which did as RVs, but asked them online. 

Needless to say, crazies live online. And they answer polls. 

Also in the news, Scott Walker entered officially, despite already polling well without an announcement. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a bump or not. 

Democrats

Sanders is still sitting somewhere around 15% - 17%, aside from one online RV poll (The same one that had Trump ahead of Jeb), which had him all the way up at 24%. Again, online polls. 

I hear people talking a lot about Sanders having huge rallies, but keep in mind that the people who tend to go to political rallies for a leftist candidate -- college students -- are the least likely to go vote in a primary. Crowds are a horrible way to judge support. Granted, he is trending upwards, so we'll just have to see. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 9:12am
If anything, as I've gotten older, I've found myself more 'left of center' on a number of social issues.
As far as what November brings, it 100% does not matter, as whomever secures the Democratic nomination will carry NYC and thus the entire state. It is the same with state-wide elections. Nominees and candidates pander to everything south of Rockland county, without giving a whit for the bulk of the state.

The republican field seems to be flooded with a lot of people with half-formed ideas or worn out names, and the Democratic field is Hillary.
?

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 11:29pm
Really check you sources. Tom Hayden for example radical counter-culture in 60's early 70's then Democrat politician in mid 70's. You really need to review your history.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Understand we saw in the 60's and 70's the radicals who had all the answers rise in power
No, no we did not. The government shut down or imprisoned radicals.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 10:42am
Now this is the forum I remember. Big smile
?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2015 at 9:54am
I love the Startup NY commercials they have now, talking about reduced corporate taxes. I hope more and more companies leave the west and east coast, and those States become absolutely buried in debt.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:59am
Yes, based on the simple fact that I want all you do, to a point, environment is a good cause, my Stepson is also gay so you make a false assumption there as well, but the ability for the future generations not having to 'pay' for all the freebies given out today to those who lack the drive to succeed on their own. And yes I want future generations to have the chances I had, the ability to succeed without being dependent on government for everything, or be called 'evil' rich because they managed to succeed without government. Nothing is 'free' someone has to pay for every healthcare reform, and how much more in taxes will we pay to provide healthcare for those who do not have the self discipline to keep up their own health. Accidents and catastrophic issues different than some overweight, smoker with a heart condition, or someone sticking something somewhere it should not go unprotected and getting some STD.

When you get where I am believe me you views on politics will change as your wallet is on a fixed income, and some rich **edited** from Arkansas with a D on her name wants to take more of my 'pay' and give it to someone else. I earned my retirement, disability, and paid for my Social Security, but I need to pay more so those who feel the need to get all this for 'free' can. All of a sudden the benefit I get from the VA based on my disability rating for my dependents college is 'taxable' so $21,000 last year was declared taxable, thanks Obama and Democrats, fun return and some more money to the government to waste, yet some college kid believes he is entitled to his tuition to be 'free'   These throw me money and I will provide 'instant' solutions to all our problems so far has been a classic failure.

Our country can not figure out how to provide competent medical care for 2.5 million veterans let alone 360million. If it were not for the evil 'rich' we would be Greece right now. If Democrats get their way we Veterans will have to pay or pay more for the post service Medical we were promised in that contract with the government we signed, but certain groups will get their medical care 'free'. So yes I have some dogs in the Nov 2016 elections, and if you read I am tired of the Royal Families of the Bush's and Clintons.

And finally until politicians use the same services they force on the people as being so good, their kids in public schools, their medical as Obamacare demands, only then will I believe either party has the people in mind. And yes I want future generations to enjoy the Planet, but also want those generations not to be totally dependent of government and over regulated by that same government who seems to exempt the 'political' class.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:05am
No, OS, just because I'm in the real world now doesn't mean I'm suddenly conservative.  I am voting for future generations, which is why I am for renewable energy that will be cheaper and better later, rather than what's immediately cheaper now.  That's why I oppose fracking that poisons ground water and support more environmental regulations.  I want my kids to have something left of this planet to enjoy.  That's why I am pro-marriage equality.  If I have a kid who happens to be gay, I want them to have a chance at a happy life free from discrimination.  That's why I support healthcare reform and economic policies that don't tilt the game even more in favor of the already wealthy.  That's why I oppose throwing military force around all willy nilly.  Sure we got rid of an evil dictator, but look where we are now.  So take a good hard look at your political choices and tell me, are you really doing it for future generations?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2015 at 4:24pm
At my age and financial situation in November 2016 I will vote for the lessor of BOTH the evils presented. The current crop of idiots across the board are again a poor selection. I am tired of both houses of royalty (Clinton, Bush), who more than likely survive the current political circus, we need fresh ideas folks.

Understand we saw in the 60's and 70's the radicals who had all the answers rise in power, then when in power (politics, business)decided to become the same thing they hated as the reality of a modern world hit them right in the face.

The current state of the nation is shown as more people were interested in the media 'reality show' circus of Confederate Flag and Gay Marriage than the real issues facing America. We are running out of other peoples money to give away, we point at those who pay the majority of taxes as evil, and those who receive the benefits and feel entitled are seen as saints and deserving. There is evil in the world but again we would rather appease and pretend it does not exist (ISIS, Russia, China, Iran, etc) and when we pay for this in the future where will the blame lay as we sell them the means to destroy us.

I am tired of going back to NY and seeing the empty factories along the interstates as the States political policies made these industries and people flee NY. I am tired of Nebraska Oma/Lincoln political policies forgetting the rural base of Nebraska who provides far more economically than Oma/Lincoln (where would Nebraska be without the corn and cattle industries?) Why does my neighbor(large corn acreage) have to have a wind power tower that is more expensive to maintain than the power it provides. Finally why is the wife now going CHAMP VA for her medical care when the President's policy and maybe legacy of inexpensive medical care for all doubled her health care plans monthly premiums. Thank God we had the option and kids are gone. But how are the kids and their kids going to 'afford' this cheaper health care?

As you all have grown, many now with families your political choices should be geared to how it will effect your kids generation rather than give you what you need now, at the cost of what they will end up paying for. That in itself is the crime of American politics.

It is the simple issues around you that should be the base of your decision, not that soap opera in DC and in the media.

Edited by oldsoldier - 13 July 2015 at 4:25pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2015 at 11:11am
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 9:22pm
Posts on the Tippmann Forum? I like this.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 2:12pm
Finally watched Frontlines story on torture. It terrifies me that democrats condone warrant less searches, torture, bombing and helping over throw governments.
Clinton is a war hawk, that in itself really puts a bad taste in my mouth. I really hope Sanders beats her.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Too generic of a test.  It said I agree with Cruz on immigration.  NOPE.

They tend to adjust the quiz as the season goes on with more specific answers. Right now, the problem with taking a quiz like that is that the candidates have not really proposed anything specific. It's general, wide-sweeping stuff like "Immigration is a concern" or "We want healthcare in this country to be accessible." 

Only a few candidates have actually stated anything concrete enough to call a policy plan. Jeb's immigration reform policy, which would allow people who immigrated illegally to retroactively file for citizenship while remaining in the country, is an example. Another would be Bernie Sanders's plan for massive subsidies for a four-year college education offset by corporate tax increases. 

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 1:39am
Too generic of a test.  It said I agree with Cruz on immigration.  NOPE.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 8:57pm
Time to do the iSideWith quiz. I'm not much of a political person. I hate listening to it all.

My results:
Clinton: 80%
Rubio: 75%
Sanders: 75%
Huckabee: 66%
Walker: 57%
Cruz: 57%
Paul: 44%
Fiorina: 43%
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I liked Ben Carson a lot, though I've soured on him a bit lately since he's starting spouting religious rhetoric every chance he gets.

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. His religious beliefs tell him that we are quite literally in The End Of Days, that Jesus's return to Earth is imminent because of prophesies in Revelation, and visions given directly from God to the Prophet Ellen G. White. 

She was an epileptic woman who lived in the 1800s who, among other things, said that God told her that the end of the world would involve all governments on Earth giving over their power to the Vatican. After that, the Pope's first act will be to make it illegal for Adventists to go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday. Thus will kick off the Beginning of the End. 

It's straight-up bonkers. 

Also, Ben Carson is a spiteful, hateful homophobe. 

Yeah, I may be a small-government guy, but I don't want any religion influencing any of my candidates. It sucks though, because I really liked his early interviews/etc, after you get past his mandatory MD superiority/arrogance.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Sanders would stand a much better chance in open primaries (a la Virginia) IMHO given that he appeals to the moderate right much more.

In what way does he appeal to the moderate right other than being inconsistent at best about gun safety legislation? 

Dude is a rather far-left Liberal from Vermont. He is easily the most liberal person running for president in the last decade or more. He supports large-scale tax increases, anti-coroprate business policies, he criticizes Israel, and is an ardent supporter of universal healthcare. 

I really dig all those things. Shoot, I'll probably vote for him. But he's liberal enough that even moderate Democrats are uncomfortable with some of his policies. 

The only big pull he's lucky to get from moderate Republicans are the ones who don't actually know who he is and still get bristly about Hillary Clinton because her name is Clinton. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

TIL I'm dangerously asinine.

Yeah but at least we've both known that for a while. 

Quote Bush vs Clinton. Wow, that will be like last years super bowl. Two people I could care less about, and won't make a difference which one will win.

It's a bit of a snoozefest. On top of everything else that will make this a kinda low-key national election, Hillary has been through a primary twice now. Aside from people who think that Benghazi was a conspiracy, we kinda know everything about her that there is to know. 

Also, Jeb is boring. I don't mind the dude at all. He seems intelligent about policy. But that makes for a real boring cycle. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I liked Ben Carson a lot, though I've soured on him a bit lately since he's starting spouting religious rhetoric every chance he gets.

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. His religious beliefs tell him that we are quite literally in The End Of Days, that Jesus's return to Earth is imminent because of prophesies in Revelation, and visions given directly from God to the Prophet Ellen G. White. 

She was an epileptic woman who lived in the 1800s who, among other things, said that God told her that the end of the world would involve all governments on Earth giving over their power to the Vatican. After that, the Pope's first act will be to make it illegal for Adventists to go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday. Thus will kick off the Beginning of the End. 

It's straight-up bonkers. 

Also, Ben Carson is a spiteful, hateful homophobe. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic