Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2016 Primaries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 Primaries
    Posted: 30 June 2015 at 7:46pm
Who will it be?

I feel that Hillary is largely a shoo-in for the Democrats. 

For the Republicans, I feel that things are crowded. I don't believe that Trump is serious, and I feel that many people see him as just that. Jeb Bush IMHO is only considered because of family connections, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz seem too right wing. 

Chris Christie I am unsure of. I probably don't have the best judgement because I grew up in New Jersey. I don't know how he is viewed nationally. To me, he seems like a wishy-washy middle ground Republican. I will say, I do love his personality though.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 10:55pm
Hillary has issues though. I think she might have more competition than she originally thought (Bernie Sanders possibly?). Granted I got rid of cable and also went to night shift, so I don't watch the news like I have in the past.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 11:15pm
I honestly think Sanders is a real threat to Hillary and the better choice for the Democratic nomination.

I had hopes for Rubio about 4-6 years ago, but he's pandered too much to the far right for my likes. He is one of the few that didn't totally stick his foot in his mouth with the SCOTUS ruling on same-sex marriage.

Unfortunately, the crap-show that is the GOP field right now is going to make it impossible for a realistic nomination.

Even worse though, is the fact that Rand Paul seems to have the Libertarian selection all wrapped up. He's a dyed-in-the-wool Republican (always has been) who is trying to run on his dad's coat-tails.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 12:31am
All I know is that Scott Walker can suck an egg.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:25pm
I keep typing a bunch of stuff and it keeps getting eaten by the spam filters. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:41pm
So the spam filter that ruins all fun of posting here anymore won't let me post, so I'm posting my ideas as images. 

Because that's what I am reduced to now. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:41pm
And now for the Republicans! 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I honestly think Sanders is a real threat to Hillary and the better choice for the Democratic nomination. 

Sanders is a better choice for the nomination in a world where the general elections don't actually happen. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 4:52pm
The long and short of this election is that it's probably going to end up being Hillary vs. Jeb, it will be an election year with very low turnout because of two legacy names on the ticket, and the winner will be the one who manages to bore their base less. 

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:55pm
TIL I'm dangerously asinine.

Bush vs Clinton. Wow, that will be like last years super bowl. Two people I could care less about, and won't make a difference which one will win.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Sanders is a better choice for the nomination in a world where the general elections don't actually happen. 

Sanders would stand a much better chance in open primaries (a la Virginia) IMHO given that he appeals to the moderate right much more. Unfortunately, the system doesn't work that way. Of course, the Hillary prediction is contingent on strong voter turnout for her in the primaries, I know you study this stuff way more than I do, but I still think Sanders is going to make it tough on her come debate season.

The sad thing is, I can actually SEE Sanders running the executive branch well. Hillary has had plenty of time being close to the PoTUS, but still lacks command experience. Sure, she's had plenty of observation experience, but she's not really been calling the shots on any major issues. Her time as SoS saw her traveling a lot (she visited more countries than any other SoS in history) but she spread herself too thin and doesn't have much in the way of a lasting legacy as she never really accomplished a major positive milestone for herself (no real "Kissinger" moment).

To me, she's someone who has minimal experience in government who ran on name recognition to get where she is, and is now trying to leverage that name in addition to being a woman, to give her some sort of leg-up on the competition. I'm not saying that's anything different than W. did, but you have to call a spade a spade.

At the very least, someone like Jeb Bush has executive branch experience, albeit on the state level.

As for Jeb, I too think he'll ultimately wind up being the GOP nominee. It doesn't excite me, but it doesn't fill me with a sense of dread either. At the very least, he's got his brother's missteps to learn from.

I can say this. I've talked with enough "boomers" to know that if it comes down to a Bush v Clinton general election, voter apathy in the over-50 crowd will be an all-time high.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 8:04am
I liked Ben Carson a lot, though I've soured on him a bit lately since he's starting spouting religious rhetoric every chance he gets.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 11:06am
Is a "Kissinger" moment when you become a mass-murderer?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I liked Ben Carson a lot, though I've soured on him a bit lately since he's starting spouting religious rhetoric every chance he gets.

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. His religious beliefs tell him that we are quite literally in The End Of Days, that Jesus's return to Earth is imminent because of prophesies in Revelation, and visions given directly from God to the Prophet Ellen G. White. 

She was an epileptic woman who lived in the 1800s who, among other things, said that God told her that the end of the world would involve all governments on Earth giving over their power to the Vatican. After that, the Pope's first act will be to make it illegal for Adventists to go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday. Thus will kick off the Beginning of the End. 

It's straight-up bonkers. 

Also, Ben Carson is a spiteful, hateful homophobe. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

TIL I'm dangerously asinine.

Yeah but at least we've both known that for a while. 

Quote Bush vs Clinton. Wow, that will be like last years super bowl. Two people I could care less about, and won't make a difference which one will win.

It's a bit of a snoozefest. On top of everything else that will make this a kinda low-key national election, Hillary has been through a primary twice now. Aside from people who think that Benghazi was a conspiracy, we kinda know everything about her that there is to know. 

Also, Jeb is boring. I don't mind the dude at all. He seems intelligent about policy. But that makes for a real boring cycle. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 12:25pm

Sanders would stand a much better chance in open primaries (a la Virginia) IMHO given that he appeals to the moderate right much more.

In what way does he appeal to the moderate right other than being inconsistent at best about gun safety legislation? 

Dude is a rather far-left Liberal from Vermont. He is easily the most liberal person running for president in the last decade or more. He supports large-scale tax increases, anti-coroprate business policies, he criticizes Israel, and is an ardent supporter of universal healthcare. 

I really dig all those things. Shoot, I'll probably vote for him. But he's liberal enough that even moderate Democrats are uncomfortable with some of his policies. 

The only big pull he's lucky to get from moderate Republicans are the ones who don't actually know who he is and still get bristly about Hillary Clinton because her name is Clinton. 

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist. His religious beliefs tell him that we are quite literally in The End Of Days, that Jesus's return to Earth is imminent because of prophesies in Revelation, and visions given directly from God to the Prophet Ellen G. White. 

She was an epileptic woman who lived in the 1800s who, among other things, said that God told her that the end of the world would involve all governments on Earth giving over their power to the Vatican. After that, the Pope's first act will be to make it illegal for Adventists to go to church on Saturday instead of Sunday. Thus will kick off the Beginning of the End. 

It's straight-up bonkers. 

Also, Ben Carson is a spiteful, hateful homophobe. 

Yeah, I may be a small-government guy, but I don't want any religion influencing any of my candidates. It sucks though, because I really liked his early interviews/etc, after you get past his mandatory MD superiority/arrogance.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2015 at 8:57pm
Time to do the iSideWith quiz. I'm not much of a political person. I hate listening to it all.

My results:
Clinton: 80%
Rubio: 75%
Sanders: 75%
Huckabee: 66%
Walker: 57%
Cruz: 57%
Paul: 44%
Fiorina: 43%
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 1:39am
Too generic of a test.  It said I agree with Cruz on immigration.  NOPE.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Too generic of a test.  It said I agree with Cruz on immigration.  NOPE.

They tend to adjust the quiz as the season goes on with more specific answers. Right now, the problem with taking a quiz like that is that the candidates have not really proposed anything specific. It's general, wide-sweeping stuff like "Immigration is a concern" or "We want healthcare in this country to be accessible." 

Only a few candidates have actually stated anything concrete enough to call a policy plan. Jeb's immigration reform policy, which would allow people who immigrated illegally to retroactively file for citizenship while remaining in the country, is an example. Another would be Bernie Sanders's plan for massive subsidies for a four-year college education offset by corporate tax increases. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic