Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2016 Primaries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2016 at 5:32pm
Yeah this is pretty unreal across the board.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 12:41am
This is already the most bat-dookie insane think I've seen since I've been aware of politics. An ex-spy chief and war hero being defeated by a southern Democrat in 1992 (all I remember of that one was HW didn't like broccoli and I did, and the other guy played the sax like Lisa Simpson) then won reelection and received oral sex and was impeached (10-year old me "What's sex? Is oral sex SEX?") A guy winning when more people voted for the other guy, that guy getting elected again because why change leaders during a war against a country not responsible for an attack that happened under his watch? Followed by him completely borking a hurricane response and muddling through an economic collapse, a one-term Senator (who's black!!! but half black and African-black, not African-American) getting elected against a war hero who chose a crazy person as a running mate who quit her job and had a reality show, a Republican governor of a liberal state turning hard right and failing to defeat him, now this nonsense? Check in in five months and it could be Kasich V. O'Malley and I wouldn't be surprised. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2016 at 11:16am
Kasich is really the only reasonable GOP candidate in my opinion. As an Ohioan, I'm not the biggest fan, but he has done some things that went against the state GOP (going around them an expanding medicaid is one example).

He brings Jesus into things a bit much, but he seems to me to be more like old-school republicans rather than whatever it is we have now.

Sad to see him not getting more attention. Hell, I'd almost vote for Kasich over Hillary if it ever came down to that.

That said, Sanders is the only guy I really like, but we'll have to see where that goes.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2016 at 12:31pm
NYT endorsed Clinton and Kasich today, so maybe Kasich will get more press. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2016 at 6:52pm
I was just listening to NPR today and they were discussing the "typical" Trump supporter. Interestingly enough, virtually every program devoted to the subject today came up with the same conclusion. There is no "typical" Trump supporter. In fact, what they did find in one constant poll of 5000 (to see how their views of candidates change over time) that the majority of trump supporters in that sample voted for Obama in the previous two elections. You just can't use a blanket statement to accurate to describe his constituency. What was even more amazing and made me think of this thread is that over and over, throughout the day, when asked who they'd vote for in the general election if Trump didn't make it in, the responses were overwhelmingly "Sanders." Which goes back to my early statement in this thread that Sanders could sway moderate Republicans to his side.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Sanders would stand a much better chance in open primaries (a la Virginia) IMHO given that he appeals to the moderate right much more.

In what way does he appeal to the moderate right other than being inconsistent at best about gun safety legislation? 

Dude is a rather far-left Liberal from Vermont. He is easily the most liberal person running for president in the last decade or more. He supports large-scale tax increases, anti-coroprate business policies, he criticizes Israel, and is an ardent supporter of universal healthcare. 

I really dig all those things. Shoot, I'll probably vote for him. But he's liberal enough that even moderate Democrats are uncomfortable with some of his policies. 

The only big pull he's lucky to get from moderate Republicans are the ones who don't actually know who he is and still get bristly about Hillary Clinton because her name is Clinton. 

So, to my above post. The NPR conclusion is that Trump is anti-establishment as is Sanders, hence the fact that a large portion of the people they interviewed say they'd vote Sanders if Trump loses the nomination.

Albeit, it's a mix of folks, everything from whack-jobs to real John Q Public types, that make up this group, and not just moderates, but Sanders' non-establishment cred looks good to them. Honestly, it makes me wonder if this is a shift that might do in both parties and fracture the playing field into what we see in other nations where there are lots of little parties and coalitions.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2016 at 10:43pm
I like Trump. Mostly because of his Cowboy attitude throughout this whole thing. I wish he would back off from the radical anti-Islam stance though. I'm all for not allowing any refugees in but he went a tad too far. I'd love him if he endorsed Unions. I'd like more support for women too.

I like many things about Sanders. He has clear cut goals, actually says intelligent things, and isn't afraid to venture from the party line. I remember Hilary ragging on him for not going pure 1938 on gun control. I'd never vote for a self described Social ist though. I also feel that a $15 minimum wage would ensue chaosm

Social ist is blocked by the spam filter.

Edited by SSOK - 01 February 2016 at 10:46pm
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 3:16am
I don't ever see myself voting Democrat, but if I were forced to I would vote for Sanders over Clinton. I just do not trust Clinton at all.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I like Trump. Mostly because of his Cowboy attitude throughout this whole thing.
This.

I like him because he's managed to piss off the establishment on the Left and the Right.  It especially tickles me that he leads in most polls, thereby pissing them off all the more.  He is not Politically Correct which I admire.  Would he be a good President?  I don't know.  Can't be worse than what we have now.  <---  And trust me, I know very well this will come back to haunt me if he manages to get into the Whitehouse.

New Hampshire is next and I foresee a frenzy.  Sanders is strong there.  Hillary squeaked by in Iowa.  I don't think she'll fare as well there but it will be interesting what her plan will be.  Trump is doing well there, so we'll see if a reinvigorated Cruz or Rubio can continue their momentum from Iowa.  Seems Christie and Bush are attacking Rubio because of his Iowa finish.  Think they're worried about something?

The political ugliness can only get worse...  

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 8:06pm
I like the political ugliness. It's like MTV meets elections.

I think a Trump vs Bernie election to be fantastic, a Clinton vs Cruz election to be boring, and having a Bernie or Trump against Cruz or Clinton to be a small landslide. Clinton has no strong values in anything and Cruz is the same old Republican. You can say Clinton Cruz'ed in on the woman vote and Bills legacy.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2016 at 11:44pm
Rand Paul is out. Gary Johnson will be getting my vote again.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 11:21am
I've leaned "Rubio" the whole time so I'm interested to see how he does moving forward, especially with the very narrow gap between him, Trump, and Cruz in the Iowa finish. I think he polls better than Cruz in less evangelical areas of the nation, so it's really anybody's race on the GOP side right now. Very much the same kind of field that the Dems were looking at when BHO came out from nowhere back in 2008.

I personally think Hillary has counted on the "women" vote entirely too much in her campaign. I think she felt that it was a given that women would vote for her in the same vein as the black voter movement turned out for BHO back in '08. Of course, that's not necessarily working out for her in the way she envisioned I'm sure. Most of my female friends and family members have said they'd rather vote for anyone BUT Hillary. She's just that off-putting. The nation has had plenty of time to see her character on display for better or for worse, and overall, it seems like she's been found lacking. I really do think that Sanders has a VERY good chance of making it to the primaries. He's frank and honest about what he stands for. People like that, even if they don't fully agree with his platform. They'll vote for someone sincere over someone who comes off as saying anything they have to to get elected it seems.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2016 at 2:30pm
Call me a small minded voter, but I'd vote for pretty much any Republican candidate before I'd vote for Cruz.

I've watched pretty much every single debate/townhall/etc, and I just can't seem to trust him. Though, I couldn't put my finger on one particular reason why.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 5:09am
There is no real choice at all. It is going to end up as a voting against the other candidate more than voting for 'your' candidate. Another lessor of the two evils presented elections. Pretty sure I am just voting anti-Democrat based on the two evils they are presenting, a liar and a whack job too liberal for NY so he left for Vermont.

So far it looks like the Republicans will hurt my wallet less, other than that no real issues concern me.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 7:17am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I just can't seem to trust him. Though, I couldn't put my finger on one particular reason why.

When your own daughter can't even play nice for the campaign trail cameras.....
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 10:20am
Tallen, that is perfect.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 10:03am
I'm not a violent person by nature, but Ted Cruz's face makes me want to just clock him one. Tallen, isn't there another gif of Cruz trying to go in for some awkward-ass kiss and getting denied?

AHH I found it:

irc.esper.net
#paintball
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 10:32am
When looking for a president, policies, goals, and character are important to me, but I think a president needs to look like a strong president. Cruz just looks too creepy to me. Definitely wouldn't want him going around the world to other leaders being the face of America.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 8:05pm
It's official. Christie is out as is Fiorina. Good riddance on the Christie end of things, and Fiorina simply hasn't done well since her bump in the polls the first or second debate when she stood up to Trump.

Meanwhile, the "superdelegates" are rearing their ugly heads in NH as despite the fact that Hillary was thoroughly whipped there by Sanders, the DNC isn't going to let the people have their voice and have whipped their superdelegates to declare for Hillary.

I personally think it's time to burn the electoral college and all the associated underhanded BS that goes along with it to the ground. It made sense when people had to physically stump around the country to get their platform across, but in the day and age of tv, social media, and all things information technology, I don't think it matters as much.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 10:59am
It does seem pretty convoluted and anachronistic. Why do we even need delegates to vote? They should just be distributed by the numbers alone. Leave the human element out of it.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic