Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching
    Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:59pm
What media y'all consumin these days?

Music:
I made a new Last.fm profile this year after using the same one since 2008, fresh n clean: https://www.last.fm/user/Nude_Riker
Been going to gabber, breakcore and jungle shows lately.

Books:
Haven't been reading a lot the past few months, mostly because I haven't gotten a comfy chair and lamp for my new apartment (lame excuse), but I'm in the middle of/recently finished: 
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Leguin
Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill
Some Chekhov shorts

TV:
Five episodes in I've given up on the second season of True Detective, feels like a parody of season one, but not self aware enough to be funny. :-/
Massively disappointed to hear NBC canceled Hannibal, which is probably the most visually creative show on tv.
Really enjoyed the first two seasons of Silicon Valley, especially now that I'm in an organization that mirrors a lot of silicon valley tropes (scrum, tons of buzzwords, etc).

Vidya Games:
Still playing through GTA V, which I bought day of release for PC. Writing is still pretty stilted and off-kilter, I don't think Rockstar is anywhere near as funny as they think they are. I spend most of my time exploring the mountains on a dirtbike in first-person.
Still spending a fair bit of time in driving sims with my G27 pedals/wheel/shifter setup. Mostly Assetto Corsa (here's a video of me poking around the laser scanned Nurburgring in a very fast car): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyiyNaRYOno (embed didn't work for some reason) 

Well? How are you wasting your time?

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 15 July 2015 at 8:00pm
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 2:08am
Woooo one of these!
Music:
I mostly listen to music when I'm at the gym, so it's mostly some flavor of metal.  Lots of Lamb of God.

Books:
I still don't know how to read, but I'm about 20% through the first 4 GoT books.

TV:
I try to catch the weekly Last Week Tonight.  GoT when it's on.  Finished Parks and Rec, and COmmunity.  Now I'm working my way through the 2nd season of True Detectve and Season 3 of Eastbound and Down.  I've only seen one episode of True Detective so far.

Vidya Games: Internet here sucks too much for online gaming.  I'm playing through Metro 2033 and FF Class Zero now.  Fallout 4 is pre ordered.  I plan to get to Witcher after Metro 2033 and Last light.  FF is pretty meh.  
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 9:08am
I think this thread will reveal a pretty sad existence for me.

Music:
I'm in a 'louder the better' mode right now. Who or what isn't really important, as long as its loud enough that I can't hear myself think.

Books:
Currently not reading anything. But I'm looking.

TV:
I'm on Netflix a lot, and just started watching the 'old' Spartacus, Blood and Sand series. For its gratuitous violence and almost laughably frequent boobage,  I find it to be pretty well written and am enjoying it.
Network shows, I gave the pilot of the Jim Gaffigan Show a try last night, and while I enjoy him as a comedian, I think the show will fall flat, and in spite of the controversy surrounding Clarkson, I've remained a devoted Top Gear UK fan, and got to watch their final episode the other night. Classiest ending to a show ever. "Thanks for watching. Goodbye."
Other than that, my television is usually packed with kids' shows.

Vidya Games: Nil. Unless you count dropping into armor games every now and then when I've got a couple of minutes of boredom at work. Although I dusted off my Mario Kart Wii game and am using it as a parenting tool. My six year old is super competitive, and  his report card this year said he needs to work on sportsmanship and teamwork a little. So, I'm kicking his ass on a regular basis in an effort to teach him to "Win without being a jerk, lose without being a baby." If he takes a loss well, I'll let him win a few until he starts to get cocky again, then he finds himself rammed into the lava pits.

....I don't know if its working, but its fun.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 16 July 2015 at 10:09am
?

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 9:58am
Music: Most mid-aughts/earlier rap and newer rock/country.

Books: I'm re-reading the Song of Fire and Ice series right now. Crazy to see all the foreshadowing and everything when you go back through and re-read them, plus now that I've read it once, I notice smaller details that really add to the experience. 

TV: I really don't watch much TV, though I have it on in the background pretty often. I mostly leave it on reruns of sitcoms I like.

I started watching Spartacus, like Reb, but lost interest in Season 2. I thought the new actor was awful.

Other than that, I mostly wait around for new episodes of Archer.

Video Games: 13 year old USAF would be incredibly disappointed in me. I haven't really played any video games since I started the process of moving out of my apartment/into my house at the beginning of May. I can't access my PSN account, and honestly just don't have a big enough desire to play to go through the hassle of going through tech support. 

I did play through one of the HALO games I hadn't played before when my SO brought her 360 out of storage, which I enjoyed. 

I think I'm boring now....

Edited by usafpilot07 - 16 July 2015 at 10:04am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 10:08am
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I started watching Spartacus, like Reb, but lost interest in Season 2. I thought the new actor was awful.

I'm just about to the finale of the first season. Content-wise, was the second season as good as the first? Or did it go downhill along with the quality of the actor?
If the whole thing started to sag, I'm going to be bummed because I've really gotten into it so far, but if its just the actor, I can limp through it for the enjoyment of the show itself.
?

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 10:51am
Music/reading: not much to be honest.  I work a mile and a half away from home, so I may get a song and a half in on the way in.  I was never a big reader to begin with.  I am however listening to a lot of podcasts when I get the chance.  Penn's Sunday school, My brother my brother and me, Sawbones, adam savage's podcast, and a few others sprinkled in there.  

TV: lots of junk.  I loved hannibal, but seemed to lose interest during the current season.  I watched 2 episodes and the rest are sitting on my DVR.  Penn and Teller Fool Us just started and I'm a sucker for magic.  I binge watched all 5 seasons of GoT in the past month and a half and I'm hooked.  I was also lucky enough to avoid knowing too many spoilers going into it.  I work 2nd shift, so if I don't DVR it I'm not going to randomly watch something and get sucked into it.  

Video games: candy crush. 

I'm a pretty boring person these days.  

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 10:59am
Music! 

Still really into the folk-punk thing. Been listening to a lot of Andrew Jackson Jihad, which is always great to have playing when students come in for office hours.  

Also started getting into proto-country, which has been kinda cool. It started with a mild obsession with Jon Snodgrass after seeing him on the Revival Tour, but now I'm into Drag the River pretty hard. It's good stuff for sitting on a porch and contemplating your life. 

Other than that, just keeping up with feeding my love of pop music. I really dig everything about Taylor Swift's latest album. 

Oh, and for some reason, I've been listening to a lot of Run the Jewels while I drive. Dunno what that is about. 

TV!

Oh man. I've got the summer off, just planning out classes and writing research and drinking on porches, so I've been watching a lot of TV series. Here's my thoughts on some of them: 

Treme: It's museum quality. I want to hang it in some kind of "This is what good TV can be" museum so everyone can see what they should be aspiring to in storytelling. I love that it tells the story of regrowth without pulling punches or pandering to a sappy mentality. I love that it tells the story of people of color. I love that it tells the story of people in poverty. 

Boardwalk Empire: Sigh. I wanted to like it. I really did. It's an interesting time period, I really dig Steve Buscemi as an actor. No reason that this should have just come across as "meh" to me. I honestly think it has to do with the incredibly slow development on some characters, and overall the lack of a coherent attention to a single character. Part of the reason that Sopranos was so good was that, despite everything else going on, it always kept Tony and his progression and struggles in mind. Boardwalk would have grabbed my attention a ton more if they'd have stuck with Buscemi's character just a little bit more. Instead the whole thing just feels scrambled. 

Bloodline: Yo. This show is legit. It's probably the best single season of a thing that Netflix has put together. It's a slow burn that teases you with multiple timelines (Think a less-confusing Memento), and combines a lot of wonderful genres: a murky murder/detective story, a family drama, and most importantly, a noir. Put those together in the sketchy-ass Middle Keys as a setting, and man, it's a fun ride with a fun ending. They very delicately sprinkle in the ways you find things out about the characters, in a way where you almost don't realize you're realizing it. I'm almost kind of upset they are making a second season. Just let this one exist. 

House of Cards: I watched the third season. The third season is embarrassingly bad. I have no idea if I'll bother watching the fourth, to be honest. 

True Detective: Ohhhh. I like this season. I like it a lot. I think True Detective may be one of my favorite things on the television, and it's one of the only shows I crave week to week, I honestly think it's because I grew up reading noir-like detective books, but man, the setting is great, the characters are deep in a gross, rotten way, where you don't know if you actually want to find out more about them. One of the big criticisms I've read about Season 2 compared to Season 1 is that it lacks the close edge of supernatural, that it's not as spooky. Which is true, this one is more of a straight-up noir, but Christ it's good. 

Books!

I've been staying with my girlfriend this summer, and she lives across from a thirft store that has an enormous used book section. So I've read a bunch of cheesy paperbacks, Michael Crichton, James A. Michener, etc. 

Right now, though, I'm reading Watergate: A Novel, by Thomas Mallon. It's pretty good so far. 

Video Games!

I've gotten big into iPad games, so I try to keep on top of what is fresh there. It's my little ritual that once a week, usually on Sundays, I look in the iPad store and see what is new and highly reviewed. I also listen to Giant Bomb's podcasts, so I keep track of the iPad games they talk about. It's a really fun platform to deliver a game, for sure. 

I usually fall back on playing CrossyRoad. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 16 July 2015 at 11:01am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2015 at 11:06am
Anyone watched FX's "Tyrant?" The commercials have looked interesting/well put together, but I haven't even checked it out.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2015 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I'm just about to the finale of the first season. Content-wise, was the second season as good as the first? Or did it go downhill along with the quality of the actor?
If the whole thing started to sag, I'm going to be bummed because I've really gotten into it so far, but if its just the actor, I can limp through it for the enjoyment of the show itself.
I think I only watched a couple episodes from season two. II couldn'tget past the actor change. I do think the quality or acting dropped as well. II couldn'tcomment on the story though   
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 3:14am
Music:
With my new job I mostly listen to whatever is on the radio and speaker tapes I download.

Books: Took a break from the SHTF/dystopia genre. Read Looming Tower: Rise of Al-Qaeda and also Ghost Wars (A wee bit dry, but absolutely fascinating). The wifey bought me a book called Blackout, which is about a female alkie who I assume gets sober, haven't got that far into it.

Shows: Broke down and watched Sons of Anarchy, made it halfway through the last season and got bored.
Orange is the New Black, Shameless, Homeland, Bloodline, and saw the Minions movie last weekend (which was amazing btw)

Video Games: I bought GTA V for my laptop thinking it could run it..... No such luck. Sold my PS3 and 360 years ago. Have no desire to plop down money for a new console.

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 5:38am
Music: I've been on a huge Devin Townsend kick. The man is my god. I've also been doing banjo lessons for a couple of years now, and I'm putting a little more effort into expanding my bluegrass tastes. Really, the banjo is simply a joy to play.

Books: I just finished the latest "Song of Ice and Fire" novel, and am waiting excitedly for the next ones. I've picked up the Dune novels again, and am reading "God Emperor of Dune." I recently read "Hatchet" as well. Apparently that's a common one for grade-schoolers to read, but I never read it, so I made up for lost time. It's definitely targeted towards young teens, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the read. I've been trying to power through "1,001 Arabian Nights," but that's a bit of a tough read for me. Also, can't go wrong with Lovecraft, if you can get past the racist undertones...

Shows: I don't really watch a lot of TV. I've been wanting to watch the Game of Thrones series, as well as Breaking Bad.

Games: Oh lord, where to begin... I'll start off with Bloodborne. Great game. I've been playing a metric boatload of indie games as well, thanks to Steam sales and PS+ handouts. Rocket League is a fantastically fun game. You drive a car, playing explosive soccer with it. Go. Splatoon is more fun than I know what to do with. Skullgirls is probably my favorite fighting game. I've been really eying Elite: Dangerous lately as well. Just downloaded Her Story, but haven't started it yet. Gaming is kinda a big thing for me, and I really don't have the gumption to type it all out here. :p
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 12:12pm
Music: nothing particular. Lots of my teenage Blink 182 esque music on pandora while reloading.

TV: nothing now. Gearing up for Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Homeland, HOC, and The Americans. I agree with Whale that the past season of HOC was sub par.

Video games: Unturned, H1Z1, and Payday 2 ebb and flow for me.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Shows: Broke down and watched Sons of Anarchy, made it halfway through the last season and got bored.

Oh it's so boring. 

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 1:20am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

The wifey

WHHAAATTTTTTTTT
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 1:21am
Also, I forgot to add that I'm an avid Clasher (of clans) now.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Also, can't go wrong with Lovecraft, if you can get past the racist undertones...
Oh they're frequently overtones. (Look up his cat...)
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Also, I forgot to add that I'm an avid Clasher (of clans) now.

If you want to talk mobile games too, I'm neck deep in Boom Beach.
?

procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 5:56pm
Hah, I started playing boom beach but it sucked my battery down so darn fast I finally gave up on it.  Wasn't worth it.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 6:12pm
I got really into Fallout Shelter for a day. Then logged back in the next morning and half my people were dead, the other half were super pissed, and I had no water and almost no power. 

That was the last time I played. 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

Also, can't go wrong with Lovecraft, if you can get past the racist undertones...
Oh they're frequently overtones. (Look up his cat...)

Oh man, I know what you're talking about...

The man was blatantly and openly racist, and a lot of that translated into his stories. It's unforgivable, but I do have to say that the stories he wrote and the universe he spun fascinate me.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
  Share Topic