Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 6:38pm
Yeah I really enjoy his writing, though most adaptations miss the point (the horror is the unknowable, not a squiggly monster).
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 12:25am
Cthulhu stopped being cool when he got "cool..."

Also, I'd like to point out that Cthulhu is kind of a chump. I know he's supposed to embody madness and chaos and the futility of human toil and all that, but some dude hit him with a boat and he got so angry he missed his his one chance to reclaim the Earth. I suppose time is meaningless to Cthulhu, and he'll be more than ready next time the opportunity rolls around, but that all still seems kinda lame to me. Yog Sothoth is where it's at. If you're gonna be all quirky and worship a fake god, seems the guardian of all the secrets of the universe(s) would be the way to go...

Edit: "Guardian" may have been the wrong word here. Perhaps "keeper" would have been better. Without having looked into it, it seems to me that Yog Sothoth was perfectly willing to dole out the limitless knowledge of the universe to anyone who sought him out. Seems to me his purpose was to embody the idea that too much knowledge could destroy those who sought it. Either way, those stories interested me more than the Cthulhu stories.

Edited by DeTrevni - 20 July 2015 at 12:37am
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

[QUOTE=DeTrevni] Also, can't go wrong with Lovecraft, if you can get past the racist undertones...

Oh they're frequently overtones. (Look up his cat...)
[/QUOQUOTE
"The Rats in the Walls". Not one of his best.
Just did another reading of "The Statement of Randolph Carter".
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2015 at 10:36pm
Music:

Lots of Retro Wave recently. Especially Trevor Something and GUNSHIP

Otherwise, I mainly listen to WTOP (local traffic and news) and NPR when in the car.

Books:

I read a crap-ton of Tom Holt recently (Brit humor/fantasy author) and am currently in the middle of "The Windup Girl" by Paulo Baccigalupi. The former is easy to pick up and put-down. The latter is really, really fantastic. Blade-Runner-esqe in it's tone and scope, and even a little bit in the subject matter. Overall, it's probably one of the best dystopian books I've read in quite a while.

TV:

AGOT is the big one, but that's over for now. Otherwise, I was a big fan of the mini-series "The Last Alaskans" and am enjoying Jim Shockey's "Uncharted" even though the season isn't quite as awe inspiring as last season was at this point. It's still well done though.

Vidya Games:

Been playing a lot of Civ IV simply because I can walk away from it with ease. Changing positions within the company has made this summer very busy, especially with having to take care of a 15mo old on top of everything else. I (finally) picked up Fallout 3, but probably won't get into it until almost Christmas.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:05am
Anyone else watch Gold Rush Alaska?
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:28am
Music: Lately I have been all over the place haha. Metal wise these guys are an amazing Canadian band I had the joy of seeing live the other day Crimson Shadows
I also have been loving Intervals: yeah and polyphia: guitar solos for dayz Both are instrumental bands and if you're into that sort of stuff definitely check them out.
Rap wise I have been liking yelawolf's new album and have recently got into snowgoons quite a bit.

Books: I am currently re-reading the grail quest series by Bernard Cornwell. Really good series about English archers and wartimes in the medieval period.

TV: Started watching Dexter, Hannibal and am still trudging my way through Dr. Who although after so many seasons I am starting to lose interest.

Games: Mainly Skyrim on my PC because it is so much fun with all the mods and such. On the xbox 1 I have been playing COD AW a bit when I get bored but I can't play it for very long. Pumped for the new battlefront to come out though!

Edited by jordanpischke - 21 July 2015 at 12:34am
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by jordanpischke jordanpischke wrote:

Rap wise I have been liking yelawolf's new album 

Is it good? 

I really liked Trunk Muzik 0-60 but have not tried out anything else he's done. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

Anyone else watch Gold Rush Alaska?

Yup.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 11:55am
Music.  Meg Meyers and some 80's thrash.
Books.   "Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius,  The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, 3 volumes, over 40 pounds of hard back adventures of my two favorite comic strip characters. I have been reading that with my youngest son. 
TV.  Hulu has taken over on the nights I don't watch "Naked and Afraid" and my DVD collection of "The Walking Dead".
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 12:48pm
I've been listening to a lot of Podcasts lately: Sklarboro Country, Joey Diaz, Joe Rogan, Ari Schaffir, Adam Carolla, etc.  Fills the void nicely when driving around aimlessly at night at work.

I started reading book one of the Game of Thrones series, its a good book so far, looooooooooooong though.

I've started watching Ballers and The Brink on HBO.  I'm enjoying both although I'm not head over heals for them.  I also have gotten into Dexter, I enjoyed it a lot more after getting past the first few episodes.
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by jordanpischke jordanpischke wrote:

Rap wise I have been liking yelawolf's new album 

Is it good? 

I really liked Trunk Muzik 0-60 but have not tried out anything else he's done. 

It's very unique and for some songs has more singing then rapping but I think it's very good.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by DaveEllis DaveEllis wrote:

I've been listening to a lot of Podcasts lately: Sklarboro Country, Joey Diaz, Joe Rogan, Ari Schaffir, Adam Carolla, etc. 

Oh on the topic of podcasts, I've got a rotation of The Giant Bombcast, GBEastcast, How Did This Get Made?, The Attitude Era Podcast, Cinema Swirl, and A Mediocre Time. 
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 4:13pm
What do you guys use for listening to podcasts?  Right now, I use an app called pocket casts on my GS5 which I like, but I haven't really explored many options.  
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 4:17pm
I do my nightly You-Tube visits to 70's and 80's rock, coming from the actual LP era looking for a good USB turntable to play my classics collection, and replace those damaged with the 'new' LP vinyl re-releases. I am waiting for the next 'new' Bloom County book, glad to see the strip re-born, TV is The Last Ship, and Falling Skies, the later really drifted from the original 1 year concept though.

I am back into miniature war gaming 'Bolt Action' currently front runner, with Flames of War falling in favor fast.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

What do you guys use for listening to podcasts?  Right now, I use an app called pocket casts on my GS5 which I like, but I haven't really explored many options.  

I use either the Podbay app or the Soundcloud app. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 6:50pm
I'm still stuck in the past with downloading stuff to an iPod and playing it in the car. Mainly WWDTM and TED Talk Hour and Radiolab on this end.

Also, THIS came today all the way from England. It is VERY good:

usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2015 at 6:55pm
I've got clash of clans, but I can't really get into it. Seems like it's impossible to actual make progress or do anything worthwhile without paying for stuff. 

Granted, I understand that, but I just can't justify it for myself.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 8:17am
Originally posted by procarbinefreak procarbinefreak wrote:

I use Stitcher, has some good options like saving them for offline, save shows as favorites in different playlists.  You can even set a sleep mode with it too for various intervals.  Has most of the podcasts I listen to in one spot or you can search by categories and such.

You just have to keep working at the clash man, you can progress without spending money.  Obviously their wgoal is to get you to buy stuff but you can make it happen without spending money.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2015 at 2:45pm
Yep.  Just need to save up some gems and get all the builders.  I've spent maybe $40 on it, but for the amount of entertainment I get, I'd say it's worth it.  
Shub View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I don’t have one either. Is that good???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2015 at 3:23pm
I read three great books lately. The Martian and Masters of Doom.

The Martian is something that everyone is talking about with the movie upcoming, but the book was really good. Definitely seems like a story where you'll want to read it before seeing the movie.

Masters of Doom is a great story if you are into PCs in the mid 90s and gaming. It is the story of id Software as they developed Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.

11/22/63 is Stephen King's take on a time traveling story set against the JFK assassination.

I haven't watched much TV lately, the last thing that really grabbed me was Bloodline. Whale's breakdown is pretty spot on.

I'm listening to summery music. The Thrills, Beulah, Greater California.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic