Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2015 at 1:29am
I downloaded the newest/lastest Dre album yesterday.  Pretty damn good.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2015 at 10:18pm
Watching update:

Season 2 of Rick and Morty.

Pure mother-effing gold.....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2015 at 6:14am
Forum use update:

I am constantly afraid to reply to threads now, after my last reply stayed at the top for like 3 days.

I don't want to be the one who kills mother.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2015 at 7:09am
I'll call you Tyrion Lannister.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2015 at 7:36pm
For me, it's been a lot of work these past few weeks. Between opening new units in rural VA to getting my own kitchen up and running (and staffed for that matter) it's been hell. Add in a 16mo old with separation anxiety at bedtime and a hair-trigger puke-reflex when he gets really upset, and well, not much time for the interwebz either.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2015 at 8:59am
I'm hunting for a new job. The town I work in has some serious issues, and I resigned a few weeks ago. Our command staff was limited to just a part-time chief (No shift supervisors, sergeants, etc...) who is in on days, I never saw him at night. As the new guy, I made my expected procedural errors, but every one of them was treated with chastisement rather than any sort of education on them. In the five months I worked full time, I worked more unsupervised shifts than our day shift worker has in two and a half years. They're literally not allowed to make any mistakes because command is always looking over their shoulder.
This is the same small town I grew up in, and it wasn't worth the issues I was facing while working there. I honestly felt like my being rehired was less a second chance as it was an giving me opportunity an to screw something up and have them get rid of me completely.
I even had officers from neighboring agencies tell me "You got a raw deal over there." Hell, our former chief himself didn't like how things were shaking out there and offered me a job with his security company almost immediately. 

For now I'm back to IT and some contracting work on the side. I start EMT school next month after years of saying "Oh Hell No" to that. The reason I'm going is that it appears to be a hell of a leg up when looking for law enforcement jobs.

As a result, my reading has been limited to background check paperwork, my watching has been limited to whatever is on when I finally lay down to pass out on the couch, and I listen to whatever the hell is on the radio as I go between jobs.

?

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 12:56am
we cut our cable off a few months ago and went with an android box, cable never again. I can only listen to cassettes in my jdm forester so need to update the headunit as my 80's cassettes sound pretty flat.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
TheSpookyKids87 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Heh-heh heh-heh - You said "post"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheSpookyKids87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 11:56am
Watching
Re-watching the X-Files, until the new ones come out.
Finishing The Office
Project Runway
Aquarius

Reading
Bizzaro Books (Carlton Mellick III )

Listening

Nothing really new, mostly stuff from the 90's and early 00's.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2015 at 8:22pm
Still working.  Came off a 2 week staycation.  Did little things around the house.  Fixed the newly acquired gokart for the kids by replacing the carb.  Got all the bicycles in working order by filling tires, oiling chains, etc.  Helped tear off one of the most ridiculously built additions to my wife's office by the prior owner.  He built a "bar" on his deck and enclosed it.  Man was that bad.  Filled a 30 yard dumpster with it and the homebuilt shed using the same skills.  Also had a miserable time updating the wife's computer to Win10.  Took 3 days until I figured out I had to refresh Win7 to replace missing files.  The other two computers updated without a hitch.

Accompanied my wife to the county courthouse because my 11 year old stepson's father put paperwork in to get full custody.  He worked on my stepson the better part of Spring and Summer and filled his head with grand times to be had by living with Dad and his new toys (quads, kayaks, Jeep, etc.) and how Dad would coach him in his sports at his new school.  He assumed that my stepson would be able to tell the judge where he wanted to live.  Much further than the truth.  This was just an informal hearing to find cause for a change in custody.  Nobody allowed but Mom and Dad.  The boy was seriously pissed that he wasn't going.  Even told my wife of "eff off" when she told him he wasn't going.  Dad ran a real number on him.  The hearing did not give him full custody but my wife agreed to shared custody, so his weekends have been expanded.  Instead of Friday-Sunday, he now can have him every other weekend starting on Thursdays after school starts.  The boy has been with his dad since the hearing so I have no idea what to expect when we get him back this weekend.

Man that feels good to unload this.  Apologies to all that have become my unwitting emotional Maxipad.

Other than that, been keeping up with my shows:  The Strain, The Last Ship and Humans.  Looking forward to Fear the Walking Dead as well as Heroes Reborn.  Might even gander at the new Supergirl series...

Edited by StormyKnight - 19 August 2015 at 8:26pm
bravecoward View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
oxymoran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bravecoward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2015 at 6:12pm
I just watched the entire first season of The Knick on HBO now. Good Stuff, its only on HBO now until Oct. because its a Cinemax original though.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2015 at 6:49pm
Finally got around to the end of True Detective Season 2's last few shows. 

The writing and direction of that show were insultingly bad. 

The actors did their best with the scripts they were given, and were maybe the only non-disgusting part of the whole ordeal. But that story was dumb. And that script was atrocious. And the direction was boring. 

Ugh. 
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2015 at 9:35pm
Nic Pizzolatto - Any Editorial Restraint = TD S2, aka the george lucas effect (only good when people can tell them no a lot)

Started reading Italo Calvino's Cosmicomics. It is amazing, and I wish I could read it in Italian...
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2015 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Nic Pizzolatto - Any Editorial Restraint = TD S2, aka the george lucas effect (only good when people can tell them no a lot)

I think the best thing I heard as an example of this is about reaction to dialogue. 

In the first season, Marty reacts, especially early on, exactly how you'd react if someone like Rust started talking about philosophical pessimism and "man walking into the final sunset" and about tasting the psychosphere of aluminum and ash. Marty straight-up rolls his eyes, reacts in a really put-off way, and eventually tells him to stop talking all that nonsense in the car because it sounds bonkers. When someone starts talking about Usenet-circa-1997 babble around you, that's a totally natural reaction. 

In the second season, Frank says "it's like having blue balls in your heart" and everyone just reacts like that would be a totally normal thing another human being would say. 

sinisterNorth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 strike, language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinisterNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 1:29pm
Wow, let's see if I've still got this forum thing down...

Listening: No artist in particular, just whatever catches my ear at the time. Or whatever station my Sirius is on while on the way to the gym or work. 

Reading: Alcatraz #1259 - While touring The Rock this summer, I had the opportunity to meet the author, William Baker and get a copy signed. I recently read David & Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell and I would suggest it to anyone. I finished Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain a while back and got a ton of laughs from it.

Watching: Fear the Walking Dead, I'm really enjoying this story line so far. I enjoy mindless shows like American Pickers and stuff on the Food Network too. And sports.

Playing: Destiny, awaiting The Taken King to drop. I'm playing on 360. I'm currently looking to buy a Nintendo DS and pick up some of the Pokemon games just for fun.

Otherwise, I'm working a lot. Psychiatry is booming right now! It's nice to see some old faces around still.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

I think the best thing I heard as an example of this is about reaction to dialogue. 

In the first season, Marty reacts, especially early on, exactly how you'd react if someone like Rust started talking about philosophical pessimism and "man walking into the final sunset" and about tasting the psychosphere of aluminum and ash. Marty straight-up rolls his eyes, reacts in a really put-off way, and eventually tells him to stop talking all that nonsense in the car because it sounds bonkers. When someone starts talking about Usenet-circa-1997 babble around you, that's a totally natural reaction. 

In the second season, Frank says "it's like having blue balls in your heart" and everyone just reacts like that would be a totally normal thing another human being would say. 

I liked season 1, but only because I took it as a comedy.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 1:19am
As I type this, I'm starting to watch Narcos. A netflix original. 
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 5:25am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

As I type this, I'm starting to watch Narcos. A netflix original. 

Watched the first couple episodes so far, pretty good show.

Edited by DaveEllis - 06 September 2015 at 5:26am
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 1:09pm
Watched 3 episodes last night, was pretty impressed.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2015 at 2:40pm
I'm reading Dune for the first time. 
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2015 at 7:56am
All watching/playing/reading has been put on hold until I make the move from MI to NC.
I keep popping into the forum because virtually all my stuff is in a POD outside my house and I am limited to my phone and laptop right now for tech.
Too bad no one posts here (my post in the "new truck" thread stayed at top of forum for at least 2 days).

I can't wait to get back to ESO and Fear the Walking Dead once the move is done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 16>
  Share Topic