Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 11:06am
GF got me into Handmaid's Tale. I like to call it Mike Pence's America.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:22am
Currently reading both Mike Kurlansky's "Milk" which is the history of milk like he wrote for salt and cod as well as Barry J. Hutchison's "The King of Space Must Die" which is book 9 of the Space Team series.

I just wrapped up re-reading The Hobbit. I hadn't read it in two decades. ProTip: Don't read JRR Tolkien books on Kindle, the ease of looking things up on Wikipedia straight from your book leads you down rabbit holes that increase the time spent getting through the books 5-fold.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:43pm
"Tigers in the Mud" by Otto Carius.  Not what I was expecting, kept nodding off reading it.  Re-read "Animal Farm" and "All Quiet on the Western Front".
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:10pm
I'm also watching Westworld season 2. I finish every episode more and more confused.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:51pm
Tolkein is one of the worst writers I've ever encountered haha, takes two pages to describe swinging a sword and cares more about the internal consistency of a made up language than emotional development of characters.

I just finished up Masochism: Coldness & Cruelty by Deleuze and am rereading its' subject, Venus in Furs, for the first time since high school. The heavy emphasis on Freud criticism is a bit of a drag but unavoidable given his centrality to the development of sadism and masochism as concepts.
Also reading Rogues, a collection of short stories centering on... Rogues, edited by GRRM with a ton of great contributing authors.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:33pm
I tried reading the Two Towers but gave up after reading 47 pages talking to trees.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:20pm
Same.  Granted I was around 16 at the time, but I made it about 2 chapters in to the first book, got bored and never touched it again.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I tried reading the Two Towers but gave up after reading 47 pages talking to trees.

For me it was the slog of Gimli, Legolas, and Strider endlessly running after Merry and Pippin. I slogged through it though.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:08pm
I just finished listening through the whole LOTR series the hobbit to RotK. Much easier to listen to it on a 45 minute drive back and forth from work than reading it. It's also nice that its dramatized.

I was trying to listen to Yes Please by Amy Poehler, but after a couple hours, I lost all interest. Now I mostly listen to podcasts: h3h3 and Joe Rogan mostly.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Tolkein is one of the worst writers I've ever encountered haha, takes two pages to describe swinging a sword and cares more about the internal consistency of a made up language than emotional development of characters.

I don't particularly like high fantasy anyway, but reading Tolkein is like reading a dictionary. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

GF got me into Handmaid's Tale. I like to call it Mike Pence's America.

It sometimes feels like a weird thing to compliment a TV show on, but Handmaid's Tale is really well edited. The visual design of the whole thing is really well done. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2018 at 10:47am
I'm on summer vacation now (Although I teach a four-week summer class in July, but whatever), which gives me a little more breathing room for enjoying life and consuming media that isn't just grading student-written articles. 

Reading

I read Fire and Fury, which was good (Although questionable in parts, mostly because I think about 75 percent of the sourcing for the book came from Steve Bannon). It got me in the mood for other political non-fiction, so I'm bouncing back and forth between Game Change, about the 2008 election, and The War Within, about in-fighting in Bush's White House from 2006 to 2008. 

I also really want to read John Carreyrou's book Bad Blood, about his reporting on the Theranos scandal, when it comes out later in May. 

Listening:

I cannot fully explain why, but I've been going back and listening to a lot of weird 90s music. A lot of Bjork, early abstract acid-jazz Jamiroquai. Guess I have been into a bit of a weird musical headspace lately. 

I've also gotten back into the McElroys' podcast, My Brother My Brother And Me. My S/O and I are going to go to a live taping in Atlanta in September. It's funny stuff -- that podcast never fails to make me smile even when I'm feeling down.

Playing:

Been playing a lot of Mario Kart 8 for the Switch. I want to get back into Odyssey and Breath of the Wild after taking a break from them during the busy semester. 

On PC, been playing around with a lot of fun smaller indie games. One that has recently caught my attention is Minit. It's kind of a rouge-like, kind of an adventure game, styled like a Game Boy game with a really compelling time-based mechanic. It's charming, and somehow makes a very limited time crunch feel not that stressful. 

Watching:

The second season of West World is the only show we're really that into on a week-to-week basis right now. We want to catch up with the second season of Handmaid's Tale, but will probably let it get done first and binge watch it. We binge-watched a British crime show called Collateral that was good storytelling, if not a little cliche at times. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 7:07pm
What I'm currently listening to:

Linky

That's a Rowe/AMI RI-5 that I just picked up from a co-worker. In perfect working order. It's AWESOME! I now have my eye on an original (well, new monitor) Rygar stand-up arcade cabinet to go next to it. Need to get an air hockey table to go next to that, etc. etc. etc.

The basement arcade build has begun.....
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:54am
Are you doing a MAME Tallen? I did one years ago and spent about $150 on it. Ended up selling the cabinet for $900. (roms aren't allowed to be sold) They are pretty sweet. I still have about 3,500 roms for it on my pc... Pretty much every game from the 70's-80's and early 90's. 

I'm playing paintball. Was general for the blue team at Balance of Power magfed game in Wisconsin last month. 

Here is a video I made using the Tipx with the FSR kit installed and fsr. In the snow. Fun times. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 21 May 2018 at 10:54am
They tremble at my name...
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 9:42pm
Tallen, not a single SCF post?

I hope the Caps win.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Tallen, not a single SCF post?

I hope the Caps win.

Trying not to jinx it. I started watching game 5 vs Pittsburg in the middle of Pd. 2 weeks ago, and the moment I turned it on, we got something like 4 penalties for 8 minutes of Pitt power plays which resulted in 3 goals. I turned it off and we came back to win it.

I'll likely watch the SCF games because who wouldn't. But I've mainly just listed on the radio recently and checked live scores on the computer to be safe.

/totally superstitious at this point.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 8:33pm
New season of Arrested Development.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:06am
I've also been acquiring books, but not reading them.  The latest being Three Felonies a Day, How the Feds Target the Innocent by Harvey Silverglate. I also want to pick up The New Jim Crow Laws.

Maybe I should get a library card, that way I have motivation to finish them before getting hit with late fee's.... 
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:25pm
The New Jim Crow is very good, can't recommend it enough
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:33pm
I'm on an Elle King kick.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 16>
  Share Topic