Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:54am
Reading: Finally got around to starting a book written by a former coworker of mine about a cult that founded a town in Florida. It's a really fun historical non-fiction book, I would recommend it to anyone into that kind of thing. 

Watching: Paid for HBO again so we could watch Game of Thrones. It has been good -- I think most people complaining about it were going to complain no matter what they did. We're also watching back through earlier seasons, and watching Gentlemen Jack and Barry, because when we get HBO there's this need to get our money's worth out of it. We'll watch that Chernobyl show at some point here too. 

Playing: I found out the library here in town has Switch games, so I've been renting/playing Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. It's a pretty fun little puzzle game. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 6:20pm
Watching Chernobyl (Of course I am. I mean, C'mon people, I'm obsessed with that historical event!)

It's actually been tough for me to watch. When I watch what's going on in the show, I know everything that happens next, so I get this overwhelming sense of dread that makes me legitimately feel awful. One part they didn't show that I wish they had (because it was truly heroic) was when three of the workers on the night shift went down into the flooded basement and shut off the electrolyzers three separate times to prevent secondary hydrogen explosions due to the water build-up. One of the guys went because he was older (he had previously worked at the RBMK reactors in Leningrad) and wanted to spare the death he knew would befall his younger comrades if they went themselves. He took a 25Gy cumulative dose. More than just about anyone outside of the firefighters on the roof.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 5:30pm
Hey Tallen, you commie, have you watched The American's?
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 9:10pm
Started Catch 22.  Excellent so far.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 8:01am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Caught a bit here and there. Liked what I saw, but haven't had a chance to really sit down and watch anything lately. Even Chernobyl is DVRed and watch the next day or the day after at the moment. I've been getting crushed at work lately.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Caught a bit here and there. Liked what I saw, but haven't had a chance to really sit down and watch anything lately. Even Chernobyl is DVRed and watch the next day or the day after at the moment. I've been getting crushed at work lately.

That sucks, what's going on at work?

Been watching Band of Brothers this weekend.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 6:36pm

We picked up a new and big chunk of business at my unit. We're going to be running the retail side of things for them now instead of just the dining and catering programs. That means I've got to get everything set up to run concessions, train a manager to run it, hire staff, etc.

Our football games can see attendance numbers in the 3000 range.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 9:04pm

We picked up a new and big chunk of business at my unit. We're going to be running the retail side of things for them now instead of just the dining and catering programs. That means I've got to get everything set up to run concessions, train a manager to run it, hire staff, etc.

Our football games can see attendance numbers in the 3000 range.

Did you get a raise?
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:38pm
Watched episode 1 of Chernobyl last night, feels bad man. Good stuff
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:16am

Did you get a raise?

Yes? I mean, I've got a fat raise in the budget for next year. My DM, AM, & RM have all signed off on it as well as the client. The COO and CFO both have to sign off on it though. Never know until they do or don't. I got a new title at the very least. Senior General Manager > Senior Food Service Director, so that's good if I want to make a move to another company should they not sign off on the raise.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:16am
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Watched episode 1 of Chernobyl last night, feels bad man. Good stuff

It is incredibly realistic and probably the best picture we're ever going to get of what those poor bastards saw the night of the accident.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 1:06pm

Did you get a raise?

Yes? I mean, I've got a fat raise in the budget for next year. My DM, AM, & RM have all signed off on it as well as the client. The COO and CFO both have to sign off on it though. Never know until they do or don't. I got a new title at the very least. Senior General Manager > Senior Food Service Director, so that's good if I want to make a move to another company should they not sign off on the raise.

Good good Smile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 5:33pm
Handmaid's Tale starts tonight, praise be.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2019 at 6:23pm
Quit Chernobyl after two eps, decided it's actually garbage
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2019 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Quit Chernobyl after two eps, decided it's actually garbage

Any particular reason? Everyone I know who has seen it is enthralled.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2019 at 3:07pm
Just not a fan of the self-serious Filmmaking Style of Event TV.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2019 at 9:13pm
Started watching Chernobyl. I'm two episodes in.

I'm a huge Mad Men fan so I'm happy to see the actor that played Lane Pryce in this show. However, I can't get over everyone having a softened English accent. It throws off the entire show. It also makes it seem corny when Russian or Ukranian broadcasts are played and the people from Coventry understand.

Regardless it does seem like a pretty good series and they do pay attention to detail. So far the deaths aren't very horrific.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 1:26pm
I got around to watching the Deadwood movie after a re-watch of the series. 

It had what I wanted out of it. 
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2019 at 5:53pm
Godzilla: King of Monsters was fun. I have some Mothra-related complaints, but overall, monsters punched each other and it was good.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2019 at 5:00pm
Found this Norweigan metal band called Sabaton.

Started new show on Hulu called Das Boot. About a German U boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic