Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Jackbooted Thug Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2019 at 8:22pm
Reading Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine. Mostly stuff I know already but I guess most people don't tend to assume tech company alignment with the surveillance state for some reason
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by BARREL BREAK BARREL BREAK wrote:

Reading Surveillance Valley by Yasha Levine. Mostly stuff I know already but I guess most people don't tend to assume tech company alignment with the surveillance state for some reason

Who doesn't?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2019 at 12:28pm
Going to see Mark Knopfler live tonight, I am so freaking stoked. Been waiting all year for this.

Watched the Imitation Game last night, great movie on Netflix.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Going to see Mark Knopfler live tonight, I am so freaking stoked. Been waiting all year for this.

Watched the Imitation Game last night, great movie on Netflix.

Jelly on the Knopfler front. I'd love to see him live.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2019 at 1:59am
Was amazing, that band sounded better live than on CD.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2019 at 3:07pm
That new Watchmen series on HBO is quite good. 
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

The Boys on Prime is pretty dope. Way more gory than I was expecting but second season is supposed to be more so.

Binged this on your recommendation . . . it was awesome. 

Currently binging some older shows that I wanted to see again.  (Stargate SG1, Chuck, The Mentalist and just finished Justified.)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2020 at 10:12am
Finished out Shameless and Ozark.

Homeland, Better Call Saul, and watched the The Report. Everyone involved in the CIA's torture program need to burn in hell.
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Everyone involved in the CIA torture program needs to burn in hell.
ftfy

Edited by BARREL BREAK - 07 May 2020 at 4:52pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 3:32pm
I was listening to a lot of Hank Williams at the beginning of the long stretch of isolation and working from home. 

Then last week I stumbled into this great playlist of obscure vinyl singles from that weird stretch between 50's western hillbilly music, just as the genre was going electric, and very early Memphis rockabilly. 

Songs like this have been stuck in my head ever since.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 02 June 2020 at 3:34pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2020 at 10:22pm
Whale, I can dig that song.

This Bob Dylan song has been stuck in my head for some time. I had no idea it was from 2012. I thought he was dead.

Edited by SSOK - 02 June 2020 at 10:24pm
BARREL BREAK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BARREL BREAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2020 at 5:54pm
Next up: https://www.versobooks.com/books/2817-the-end-of-policing
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2020 at 7:52am
Not reading anything worthwhile.

I did break out my old miniatures and did some things :

Tried my hand at scratch building. Only the turret but was quite happy with how it turned out.

We got some old school Necromunda going. Just some basic 4v4 but she's pretty good at it.

Still original "2nd Edition" Necromunda, I haven't ..... found a copy of the updated one yet.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 7:48pm
Went on a Trump trifecta of books. 

I started reading John Bolton's book after bootlegging it (Didn't feel comfortable giving that dude royalty money). Got to the point where his major disagreement with Trump is how Bolton wanted active military action in North Korea and Trump got too bored to care about it. I get that Trump is a dullard, but not because he won't start every war Bolton wants him to start. 

I then read Woodward's book on Trump. It was fine. It has the same problems of proportion that the last bajillion Woodward books have had. 

I finished all that up with Mary Trump's book, and boooy howdy is that a depressing read -- it lays out a structure of emotional and verbal abuse that both led to Donald Trump being who he is and the demise of his older brother, who the Trump family essentially neglected to death. It is both informative and also deeply unpleasant. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 3:26am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Went on a Trump trifecta of books. 

I started reading John Bolton's book after bootlegging it (Didn't feel comfortable giving that dude royalty money). Got to the point where his major disagreement with Trump is how Bolton wanted active military action in North Korea and Trump got too bored to care about it. I get that Trump is a dullard, but not because he won't start every war Bolton wants him to start. 

I then read Woodward's book on Trump. It was fine. It has the same problems of proportion that the last bajillion Woodward books have had. 

I finished all that up with Mary Trump's book, and boooy howdy is that a depressing read -- it lays out a structure of emotional and verbal abuse that both led to Donald Trump being who he is and the demise of his older brother, who the Trump family essentially neglected to death. It is both informative and also deeply unpleasant. 

Man, that must have been brutal to read all of those back to back.

Re-watched Californication, loved Immigration Nation and Stateless on Neftlix, and now re-watching Handmaids Tale on Hulu. HBO and Frontline recently had a series about fake news,

Also re-listened to It Could Happen Here by Robert Evans, and now listening to his new podcast the Worst Year Ever.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2021 at 12:41pm
I've spiraled down another rabbit hole, this time somewhat obscure late-60s soul EPs

That song particular, that drummer is beating the absolute piss out of the snare drum. It's so good.

Edited by agentwhale007 - 07 January 2021 at 12:49pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2021 at 1:21pm
I finally bought a NYT subscription, and will probably donate to NPR shortly. 

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2021 at 9:05am
Been listening to "Canons" and "Lord Huron" a lot lately.

Canons have a great disco vibe to their music but updated and extremely smooth.

Lord Huron just keeps pumping out fantastic albums.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2021 at 6:54pm
Dope Sick on Hulu, it is about Purdue when they released Oxycontin.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2021 at 1:11am
I've seen this, now you must as well:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
  Share Topic