Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2015 at 9:38pm
Got into a non-fic kick recently. Finished up Mukiwa: A White Boy in Africa just the other day and decided to grab Godwin's follow-up When a Crocodile Eats the Sun which is about his time in Africa after he was allowed back in Zimbabwe. I read "The Fear" by him about the most recent turn of events in Mugabe's own little hermit kingdom a few years back, and it's been a good look at life in Rhodesia and Zimbabwe from the UDI all the way to just before the power-sharing government (which is now defunct).
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 4:15am
Music
Well today I'd say the new Disclosure album since it's on Spotify and such now. Also Big Grams, which is a collaboration of Big Boi and Phantogram, and I'll be seeing them next month.

Books
I'm a disgrace and keep buying books but not reading them. Right now I'm still working through 'This Is Service Design Thinking'

TV
Rick and Morty. Watch it now.

Games
I'm back on that Destiny grind now that TTK is out. Also playing MGS:V which I absolutely love. Playing it now feels like the nostalgia I have for original Splinter Cell games. I know they weren't actually that good, but my nostalgia glasses make me remember it soooo much better. Playing MGS feels that good now, as I play it. Like what a game like that should be.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 4:49am
The League and The LAst Man on Earth are back!
Apu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Funny/Ironic Title

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2015 at 12:24am
Listening: Been traveling back in time and listening to a lot of the music I listened to back in the heyday of mother/PBC but especially a lot of metal, mostly proggy stuff a mixture of my two old favorites Opeth and Dream Theater and some newer stuff like Animals as Leaders. Not a lot of Phish, every year or two I need to take a break from them for a bit but I have been listening to random shows from the summer tour since I only got to make it to one of the shows at Merriweather this year. Been getting WAY back into Iron Maiden especially lately and Flogging Molly, the good ole stuff.

Reading: I've been reading Dune for about 6 months or so on or off, but by far my favorite author right now is Brandon Sanderson. For those that aren't major fantasy dorks like me he's the author that wrote the last 3 Wheel of Time books (my all time favorite series which I've just started reading again for I believe the 5th time, quite a lot of WoT since there's 14 books and a prequel in the series). But aside from his "standalone" stuff like his Reckoners series which is pretty cool for what it is. I'm mostly a fan of Sanderson's "cosmere" novels, which is a bunch of different series, novellas, etc that are all set in the same universe, where even though each planet has it's own unique magic systems, characters, etc they're all connected and all derive from the same original source in the universe. 
This includes his first novel Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy, the second Mistborn trilogy (second book comes out in a week woot!), The Stormlight Archive (two of ten planned are published), Warbreaker and Elantris is the only one of these I haven't finished even though I started it over a year ago as I just can't get into it the same as the rest. Any fantasy fans out there, especially the ones reading or that have read ASoIaF should check him out. The new life he brought to The Wheel of Time sold me on him entirely. After the final book was published in 2013 I sat my iPad down and said to myself "that's the greatest story I've ever read" and stand by that to this day. 
I would in fact recommend The Wheel of Time to any that haven't read it more than anything else though at 14 books it's definitely an investment, which is so worth it. I love explaining the premise to people, which as an awesomely detailed series that has my favorite magic system of all time. It takes like 20 minutes to really explain it to people. It's length makes it so unique as you follow all the original character's progressions from a group of ignorant villagers from the same town to them becoming most powerful and influential people in the world. Awesome, brilliant magic system, world building and a world that is far, far behind what it was 3,000 years ago when the world was essentially destroyed and rebuilt again. I can't recommend it enough.
Aside from Brandon Sanderson novels I'm waiting on (Stormlight Archive more than anything, AMAZING series) I'm waiting on Pat Rothfuss to publish the final Kingkiller Chronicle book and of course the rest of ASoIaF. I do want to finish Dune as well.

Watching: I want to start Narcos, heard good things. I'm waiting for The Walking Dead to come back, even though I've struggled to hold interest in it a few times the past few years. Aside from that Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley are some of the few shows I watch that are still on. I need some new shows. Another Deadwood, Battlestar Galactica, something like that. Any suggestions would be sweet.

Edited by Apu - 01 October 2015 at 12:37am
I need a new Sig...
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2015 at 10:00pm
Well, I haven't played paintball for some years, I'm at the stage where we are giving our kids/grandkids stuff as we prepare to move to our retirement community on Vancouver Island.  I had 4 boxes of paintball stuff which I unpacked to see what was there.  I'm giving it to my son, and keeping the A5 for sentimental reasons.  

Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 12:08am
How lopsided are those balls?
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 2:39am
Well, I crossed over to the dark side and got a Mac, for a number of reasons.  I was tired of lugging my 17.5" 11lbs gaming laptop through airports, which I frequent.  Its battery life was horrendous.  But most of all, Microsoft has been trying to mimic the OS X interface for years now, and doing a very poor job of it.  So I broke down and got a 13" Macbook Pro with all the fixings.  I've only had it for a few hours now, and I have to say I'm entirely happy with it.  The only thing my old one had that this one doesn't is a dedicated GPU.  I don't see that being an issue though.  

JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

How lopsided are those balls?
they are bad, and hard, I should sell them to Walmart, that's how most of theirs are when you buy them.

Well, I crossed over to the dark side and got a Mac, for a number of reasons.  I was tired of lugging my 17.5" 11lbs gaming laptop through airports, which I frequent.  Its battery life was horrendous.  But most of all, Microsoft has been trying to mimic the OS X interface for years now, and doing a very poor job of it.  So I broke down and got a 13" Macbook Pro with all the fixings.  I've only had it for a few hours now, and I have to say I'm entirely happy with it.  The only thing my old one had that this one doesn't is a dedicated GPU.  I don't see that being an issue though.  

I've been using a Macbook pro for 4 years now, I have never had an issue with anything.  I broke the screen by accident on my previous macbook, found one on eBay and fixed it for under $80. Plus my wife has an iPad and iPhone so it just makes sense.

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 03 October 2015 at 12:27pm
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 12:49pm
Started another show on Amazon Prime. The Man in the High Castle. Freaking awesome. You'd dig it for sure Tallen.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Started another show on Amazon Prime. The Man in the High Castle. Freaking awesome. You'd dig it for sure Tallen.

Yep, saw the pilot back during Amazon's "Pilot Season" and have just been waiting to get through the backlog of our DVR to watch it.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 2:10pm
While looking through daily vids on Bitlord, I saw something interesting that caught my attention.  The Frankenstein Chronicles.  Stars Sean Bean (Boromir in the LOT films) as a detective, set in the 1800s, tasked in finding where the bodies of children that are stitched together from body parts are coming from.  I was hooked from the first episode.  I recommend it to anyone that enjoys mild sci fi/fantasy/mystery.

Edited by StormyKnight - 01 January 2016 at 2:14pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2016 at 4:17pm
Talking of Sean Bean I've just watched the Sharpe series and am on the 3rd last Sharp book by Bernard Cornwall.

Playing Xcom Enemy Within. Getting ass handed to me and can't understand why. Old game I know. Have a survivor in Dayz, some in Rust and one in ARC. Fallout 4 is gathering dust while I plan what to do next. Have new Rainbow game but PS4 bricked.

Music? Golden oldies and latest pop.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 2:37pm
I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition on Black Friday and it has taken over my life. Been an absolute great time filler while I'm out of work. Wish I had bought it when it came out instead of Destiny.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
lighteningbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lighteningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I picked up Dragon Age: Inquisition on Black Friday and it has taken over my life. Been an absolute great time filler while I'm out of work. Wish I had bought it when it came out instead of Destiny.

What do you fly in the AF?
It's a pregnancy pun
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 3:59pm
Making a Murderer on Netflix is amazing.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 6:21pm
I want that ebolt 98! I can't believe you have one! 

I too binge watched the making a murderer... Holy cow, insane show, that county is so corrupt! 
They tremble at my name...
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by lighteningbolt lighteningbolt wrote:

Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

What do you fly in the AF?

LMAO
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 9:29pm

LMAO
x2
lighteningbolt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lighteningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 10:12pm
Alrighty...
It's a pregnancy pun
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2016 at 10:45pm
I would like to take that freak kit off your hands, Johnny.

Edited by RoboCop - 05 January 2016 at 10:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
  Share Topic