Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What's everyone reading/listening/playing/watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 9:29am
""Born in the USA" is hands-down one of the best damned albums of all time and I will fight anyone who says otherwise to the death." tallen 702

I am a huge Jersey Shore music fan. I go with 'Born to Run' the breakout album. Even Greetings and E Street Shuffle have their moments. You ever heard the best album Springsteen never did?   Southside Johnny and The Asbury Jukes 1978 'Hearts of Stone' or the later 'Reach Up and Touch The Sky' 1981.

Gaming I am back into my miniature wargaming. Bolt Action a 28mm Infantry centric miniatures. Just assembling and painting them is a time killer. I have a good assortment of Soviets, Germans, Japanese, and Americans, 10 milk crates full of trays. Played last night, Japanese with no AT, holding off a Soviet player, 2 hours of fun that felt like minutes.

Also found a complete 1958 Girder and Panel building set at a local Toy's from The Past store. Was one of the favorites of my youth. Got some additional girders from E-Bay and me and Brock the grandson will be building some serious suspension bridges.

Working on the Grand daughters MX bike for next season. KLX110L with all the go fast and suspension parts I could get for it. She already keeps up with the boys on their 65cc 2 strokes, and got some trophies this last year. Just not tall enough, need another inch and a half, yet for the next step a Honda CRF150R pure racing bike. And She is only 10.

Got the MX track in the back field up to standard. 20ft wide all over, 4 table tops done, 2 banked corners done. A hobby business but not a business. People come over to ride, I hang a bucket on the gate fence and somehow around 1700 at night I check it and there is a pile of $20 bills in it, how does that happen, wink, wink. Fun track not a supercross, just a 'practice track for Grandkids, my PT track, still ride my CRF250X(R). Just a great place for kids and families to ride without the big supercross idiocy.

I did a few Adventure Rides with locals on my modified CRF250L, going bigger either a Honda Africa Twin, or another XR650L with lowering kit and all the saddle bags and stuff required. Right now the big 'Adventure Bikes' walk away on the highways, but on the dirt roads I fly by them like they are standing still on that CRF250L.

A lot to do here on the farm. Got the coal stove in basement modernized and we already have had a 24hour winter power outage so we had heat between coal stove and fireplace, and some electric as I have a generator wired into house. Need some repairs on house, and will have hot tub replaced before June.

Just keeping busy

Edited by oldsoldier - 14 December 2016 at 9:32am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

So, picked up a bunch of vintage vinyl LPs from an antique shop the other day. Been listening to them quite a bit.

This gets addicting fast.

My girlfriend got me Velvet Underground - Loaded for Christmas. Such a solid album.

Apparently it gets very addicting. A few weeks ago, vinyl outsold digital downloads for the first time in the UK.

Yes, vinyl is more expensive. Yes, it was only for one week and not by much, but dammit I'll take it!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 2:43pm
There's just something inherently more fun and social in sitting down and hanging out with everyone picking out different records to play that you're not going to get with any other format. It's kinda nice to listen to whole albums all the time.

Hell, one of my bands recorded an entire album at my place and put it out on vinyl. The local record store doesn't even sell local cds anymore. Just vinyl. 

I mean, I got the spotify and all that, but tracking down new records here and there is so fun. And there's always someone with a big crate that they're willing to part with.  I cleaned my mom's stash out and was pretty surprised at her collection.  I now have no doubt in my mind that my mom once did a ton of drugs. She wouldn't give me her Beatles though. Also got my ultra conservative old man's Phil Ochs record. I'm not sure what happened, but I hang that one over his head from time to time. 

irc.esper.net
#paintball
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 4:56pm
I love my USB turntable and my collection of albums. The old days revisited. Have a storage bin of old 45rpm singles somewhere.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 9:21pm
What are your favorites, OS?

irc.esper.net
#paintball
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2016 at 11:46pm
My Jersey Shore stuff, the mid 60's, The Animals, Hendrix, The Doors, any of the 'Bunker Tunes' of my era. For some reason I like Green Day, very similar to The Ramones of my era. Have a lot of albums from Germany, Nena and others. Red Bank Rockers, Little Steven and The Disiples of Soul, Meatloaf the early stuff, Queen, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, and a host of others. I listen to Sirius 26 Classic Vinyl all the time. Turn on Sirius and just drift back in the dreams and memories.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2016 at 12:59am
Right on! That reminds me that I really gotta find a copy of Lou Reed - New York

irc.esper.net
#paintball
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2016 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Finished Goliath on Amazon prime.  

How was it?  Did you like it?  Fan of BBT.   Wondered if it was any good.

I liked it a lot.
Just got done with Goliath.  Liked it a lot!  Now on to the first season of Man In the High Castle.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 8:53pm
Also another excellent show.
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 9:54pm
We're watching 'The Man in the High Castle', check it out, based on the book by Philip Dick which is his story on what life would be like if the Nazis had won WWII.
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2016 at 8:01am
I just completed season 1 of The Wire for the third or fourth time.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by deadeye007 deadeye007 wrote:

I just completed season 1 of The Wire for the third or fourth time.

I've been thinking about re-watching that one. Been engrossed by the Breaking Bad replay marathon over the last few days.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2016 at 8:34pm
So, Team of Teams actually wound up getting pretty good after the first couple of chapters. I actually recommend it for anyone either in, or heading into a managerial capacity anytime soon. Siloed top-down management structures are dying pretty rapidly these days and networked complex systems are taking their place, this explains how to make sure those systems work instead of just getting the "lipstick on a pig" approach that a lot of people take when they don't actually want to change.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2016 at 4:47am
Various Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats albums.  These guys are a good throwback to the 60s-70s metal style.  They use instruments and recording equipment from that period to recreate the sound.  If you're a fan of early Sabbath, you should give these guys a listen.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2016 at 10:34am
Started The OA on Netflix, which is pretty dang good.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 8:13am
Finished the second season of The Man in the High Castle.  Started watching Deadwood.  Wow.  More F-bombs than either Ted movies.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 10:22am

So, Team of Teams actually wound up getting pretty good after the first couple of chapters. I actually recommend it for anyone either in, or heading into a managerial capacity anytime soon. Siloed top-down management structures are dying pretty rapidly these days and networked complex systems are taking their place, this explains how to make sure those systems work instead of just getting the "lipstick on a pig" approach that a lot of people take when they don't actually want to change.

If all goes well, I'll be heading into a management spot soon.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2017 at 11:19am

If all goes well, I'll be heading into a management spot soon.

Nice!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2017 at 9:06pm
New season of Homeland started. One of my faves 😀
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2017 at 4:43am
Started The Man in High Castle, am just about done with season 1.

Edit:

Thus far, I can think of no other show that's made me go "What the Censored?!?" as much as this one has now that I'm into season two.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 21 January 2017 at 4:58am
?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 16>
  Share Topic