Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with Phenom.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigShow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with Phenom.
    Posted: 18 October 2015 at 11:27pm
I have an X7 Phenom and 2 x7 legacys.
Phenom setup- Tect T MRT Black Karma addition bolt, fang trigger, and APE board with factory settings. 
1st X7 legacy- rufus dog bolt and power tube, APE board with factory settings. 
2nd X7 Legacy egrip all OEM Tippman. Hammerhead shark tooth barrel, .690 bore.

Ok we played this past sat, weather was cloudy 45 to 55 degrees over the course of the day. This was the 6th day to use the Phenom. The other 5 days it was over 70 degrees. The 1st 5 days the Phenom never broke a ball (other than a bad case of paint that broke in everything I own), this 6th day which was colder it broke paint like crazy. I am shooting Draxxus paint (other than the bad case of paint it was some formula something). My girlfriend uses the Phenom. I loaned the 1st Legacy to a friend and he used paint from the same bag and busted 3 balls all day and they was all in the barrel, not one ball in the chamber. The cyclones are Identical with all the same parts.  The Phenom busted them in the barrel and chamber. The balls are .684 bore, 1st game I started out with a .688 bore in a J&J edge on the  Phenom, and a .690 HH sharktooth on the 1st Legacy. After the 1st game the Legacy did not break a ball, the Phenom busted alot of paint. I cleaned up the Phenom and cyclone, switched to a .691 bore on the J&J edge for the 2nd game and busted just as much paint in both barrel and chamber and the Legacy busted a couple in the barrel but none in the chamber. So I switched barrels for the 3rd game and the same thing happened, Phenom busted paint like crazy and the Legacy did not bust any.  So I can rule out the barrels and the . Both on nitrogen and set approx 285fps. I can not think it is the bolt as it did not bust paint the other days it used. I do not think it was the balls, cause both markers was loaded out of the same bag of paint. 

Now the 2nd X7 Legacy was loaned to a different friend with a HH shark tooth .690 bore and it only busted paint one game out of 8 total games. This marker was run on CO2 and set to approx 285fps. Cyclone parts the same as the other two.

No I am looking for suggestions on why the Phenom is busting so much paint all of a sudden? At first I thought maybe the colder temperature, but neither of the Legacy's hardly broke paintballs. The Phenom was set up straight out of the box the way it was set up for this day, and it did not bust paint until today. Is the Phenom not supposed to be easier on paint? 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 9:09am
Honestly, the only thing I can think of with the Phenom breaking paint while the legacies are running fine is that something has gone out of sync with the cyclone in the phenom, or, quite possibly, the ball detent in the phenom isn't acting the way it's supposed to and is putting enough stress on the rounds to break the rounds. I'm more apt to think that there might be something internally with the cyclone that's causing mistimed feeding (bad ratchet or something similar). Have you tried firing it with paint in a warmer environment since the day you had the issue? That'd be what I'd do just to rule out the weather factor. Also, if you're having to clean out the cyclone, that tells me it's chopping rather than breaking in the bore. Again, that points to an issue with the cyclone itself.

Anyway, give it a quick test for us when it warms up and post the results. Then we can go from there.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 10:51am
Two things come to mind.  Both of which I've experienced personally with a cyclone feed:

• When the bad paint was breaking in everything some of the paint got down into the cyclone workings and, with the colder temperature, is just gooey enough to slow down the cyclone.
  • Air leaks between the marker and the feed allowing pressure to drop enough to interfere with feeding.  (On my A5 the seal between the marker and the fitting wore out but it could be any leak including loose hoses or fittings.)

Either of these will cause cyclone timing to be off as Tallen mentioned.

Edited by Mack - 19 October 2015 at 10:52am
BigShow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigShow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2015 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the info. I was thinking bout changing the cyclones at the field that day, but didnt.  Understand what you are saying about  chopping instead of blowing up in the breech. Ok I will open a garage window and shoot out of it and let you know, isnt supposed to get warmer than the day Im talking about for around a week. I will also swap cyclones and see if that makes a difference.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2015 at 9:49am
Sounds like a plan, let us know the results!
BigShow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigShow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2015 at 8:48pm
Ok I cleaned up the Phenom and checked the cyclone out. No burs on the hook or ball detent. The ratchet and bottom area of the cyclone was clean. Cyclone cycled with the push button. Paddles are tight on the ratchet shaft and do not slip. I shot approx 100 rounds (leftover paint from same bag as Saturday) through it today, out the back door of my garage on full auto. Not one break, performed flawlessly. So I am not really sure what the problem was. Now granted my garage is around 70 degrees and it was only around 50 degrees Saturday when I played. We are playing again in a week and I bought some marbleizers to try instead of the Draxxuss we have been using.  Thanks again for the help and ideas. Hopefully it was just a freak thing it and works fine again. 

Edited by BigShow - 21 October 2015 at 8:50pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2015 at 8:23am
Yeah, Draxxus tends to be pretty thin-shelled and not very cold tolerant. The Marballizers should hold up a bit better as they tend to be a slightly thicker shell overall. As it continues to get colder, you may want to consider using Polar Ice (formerly a RPS product, now made by Empire) which is formulated for winter-time performance. The caveat is they're only good at about 50*F or lower. Anything higher than that and they're likely to bounce instead of break.
BigShow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigShow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 6:25am
Thank you. The Phenom is my girlfriends and it Shot the marbs fine this past weekend. Usually marbs get me through the winter, or atleast it always did with the Legacy. I shot the Legacy this weekend with the draxxus and did not break one ball out of almost 1500 balls. It was within a couple degrees as the last I played and the Phenom could not shoot the Draxxus. It surprises me the Legacy will shoot the Draxxus but the Phenom does not like it. Os the Phenom harder on paint then the Legacy?
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 6:40am
Even in the high-end market scene, how hard a marker is on paint varies from marker to marker even within the same line. Small variances in machining from part to part can cause variations in how the air is applied to the paintball and with how much force. Chamber roughness, barrel step, etc. all also contribute. That's why people have been continuously upgrading their markers since the dawn of paintball to do two things: Gain more firepower over their opponents, and create greater consistency with their individual marker.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic